Home

Any FIREFLY fans out there?

MdKnightR

I was thinking about posting this earlier, but I didn't want any spoilers. I just finished watching the DVDs and the Serenity movie and all I can say is WOW!!! I read that Fox aired the show out of sequence and preempted it for various sports events which lead to its premature cancellation. Really too bad. Although I will have to admit that I didn't watch it when it was on television because I thought the premise was hokey (probably due to Fox promotion). The fact that Firefly kept being mentioned by everyone after Jericho was canceled is what got me interested in it. Is anyone else here a fan?

Well, I've watched a few episodes of it... i didn't really like it... it wasn't 'real' enough for me, and IMO, was way to dramatic. Sorry to be the party spoiler, but after becoming a fan of the Stargate series, I won't settle for anything 'less'. It wasn't that 'bad' though. It was probably very entertaining for everyone at the time it was first airing. (How old is it anyways?)

The theme song is my ring tone.

I think it "failed" because it was so different than anything else on TV that Fox didn't know what to do with it. Seriously though, I wonder how many shows Fox will cancel until people just stop watching Fox altogether. I mean, eventually people will get tired of getting into a show only for it to be canceled midway through the first season.

Fox is the worst offender with not giving shows a fair chance, but all the networks do it. Its part of the reason I don't really watch TV anymore, and I pass on any new shows on Fox. I doubt I'm the only one that does this, either.

Oh well, at least I can see Jewel Staite on Stargate: Atlantis. (Though I'm still pissed about Carson.)

I like the show very much. It never made it on tv in Germany though, and so I bought the show on dvd as well as Serenity.

The show did not have one weak episode, and some were top notch! Serenity tried to knit most loose ends, which are impossible to do unfortunately. Serenity had some very interesting and unexpected twists.

nice show... Best you watch the DVDs, and watch em in ORDER. They were shown out of sequence on TV. Whilst the TV show is dead, there was some talk about a FF MMO, but I doubt it will get anywhere...

still, I must say, FF weirds me out when you think about the hillbilly/asian hybrid society the galaxy seems to have become. sorta like Lando is almost the only black dude in the SW Original Trilogy films, and all the 'Good Men of The West' are white dudes in Middle Earth :(

*black panther salutes*

mtfbwya

ps- every now and then you hear Joss-phile ramble about how FF > SW. I doubt it. LEts come back in 30 years and see if we're all talking on a FF forum.. nuh-uh :D

[align=center]p1_sw30_sm.jpg[/align]

HUGE Firefly fan. Saw the movie on a friend's recommendation and really enjoyed it, so I picked up the series, which I thought was quite a bit better than the film. So much potential wasted. Even my wife thought it was fantastic, and she isn't a big scifi person.

Also just finished the Jericho series, which we also loved. At least that had some sort of wrap up.

I had heard it mentioned so i bought the series without high hopes and it completely blew me away. I absolutely love it, got Serenity immediately afterwards and now it's my favourite film. After about a month of word dropping it into every sentence, i convinced my sister who hates sci-fi to watch it. She loved it too! That did shock me.

I was thinking about posting this earlier, but I didn't want any spoilers. I just finished watching the DVDs and the Serenity movie and all I can say is WOW!!! I read that Fox aired the show out of sequence and preempted it for various sports events which lead to its premature cancellation. Really too bad. Although I will have to admit that I didn't watch it when it was on television because I thought the premise was hokey (probably due to Fox promotion). The fact that Firefly kept being mentioned by everyone after Jericho was canceled is what got me interested in it. Is anyone else here a fan?

Serenity Rules!

:D:D:D

I personally believe that "Serenity", the movie, beats the hell out of "Star Wars" Episode I, II, and III. Lol... It was praised by critics and fans for being better than the "Star Wars" prequals. I absolutely agree with them. "Serenity" and "The Chronicles of Riddick" have just about replaced "Star Wars" as my favorite movies of all time. Joss reminds people about how great George use to be. "Serenity II" maybe in the works soon, so keep your eyes pealed for some gossip.

Wouldn't be the same without certain members of the crew...

You got that right!

I was absolutely heartbroken when Shepherd Book died and completely shocked about Wash too.

Still, I would like to see a sequel.

BTW Prime, I'm glad you enjoyed Jericho. Fans are still trying to revive it. Check out the commercial that's been bombarding Los Angeles to get other networks to take notice at http://www.savejerichoagain.com. Brad Beyer (Stanley Richmond) narrates it too.

Wouldn't be the same without certain members of the crew...

Well, Joss Whedon said:

He has a way to bring Wash back if they get the chance to continue the series. Book is unfortunately dead for good, though.

I want to say he said that on the commentary for Serenity, but I'm not sure.

I watched the movie first, didn't even know it was based on a serie then and loved it. It was maybe a half year after that i found out the serie existed, and that answered some of the things in the movie i didn't understand at first.

And first time i saw the movie i sadly didn't care so much about Sheperd. He had been in the movie like 3-5 minute if even that, but after watching the serie and again watch the movie it was more tedious

Firefly takes Star Wars one step further by adding realistic characters. Everything looks old, used, and dirty in both scifi's. Star Wars has mythical, selfless, idealists where the other has average people working to make a life for themselves. That's why I like the series and hope to see a second movie.

BTW Prime, I'm glad you enjoyed Jericho. Fans are still trying to revive it. Check out the commercial that's been bombarding Los Angeles to get other networks to take notice at http://www.savejerichoagain.com. Brad Beyer (Stanley Richmond) narrates it too.
I'm not sure I want it saved at this point. I kind of feel like the show has run its course, although I imagine the writers still have ideas. For me they wrapped up the series in season 2 pretty well. Most of the stuff I was interested in was covered in the first season anyway.

Still, love the show!

Firefly takes Star Wars one step further by adding realistic characters. Everything looks old, used, and dirty in both scifi's. Star Wars has mythical, selfless, idealists where the other has average people working to make a life for themselves. That's why I like the series and hope to see a second movie.

I agree for the most part. I see a lot of parallels between Malcolm Reynolds/Serenity and Han Solo/Millennium Falcon. But, to me, Malcolm just seems to be a grittier scoundrel, which I like.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure most of you have seen this already, but I figured I'd post it for those that haven't.

http://users.livejournal.com/_allecto_/34718.html?thread=332190

I think it's all complete nonsense, and am rather surprised that so many seem to buy into it. What doesn't surprise me is that that most that do haven't seen the show. :rolleyes:

And in lighter news, has anybody read the second comic? I heard the first wasn't very good, but am thinking about picking up the second.

Archived