Home

Permission thread

Maxstate

Oh yes? *Copy&Paste from email conversation with George Lee, a.k.a. Beast, retired from the MB2 team*:

His reply, 15 days later... :(

There. Good to go for OJP, yay! And now I've used his models as a base for mine (as just ripping it from MB2 wouldn't work at all), plus that I've made a lefthanded model to get rid of the 'see-through holes in gun' issue you get when using the same model for both right and left hand models.

WHAT!?

You have never joined the development team of OJP Enhanced!

You're arrogant, lying scum and I do not want anything to do with you and neither does the team.

The burden is on you to e-mail him back and tell him that you lied.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WHAT!?

You have never joined the development team of OJP Enhanced!

You're arrogant, lying scum and I do not want anything to do with you and neither does the team.

The burden is on you to e-mail him back and tell him that you lied.

But..? But..! I thought..?

*Resignative* Ah, sorry guys! Big apoligies, I didn't mean to offend you in any way. I thought my contribution to the mod would be something to make it even better, and I've worked really hard on doing this. But what's the response? Being called an arrogant liar because of a small misunderstanding, and getting my day ruined..?!

Please, can I get a second chance on proving that I can do some good contribution to this mod? (Max, don't be mad at me, please. We've had our friction, but can you get over it?)

Yeah, as JK3 files found out.

No, as some MB2 player/dev found out, complained about in the comments, leading to Kouen removing the file. And it all happened while I was away and couldn't even see it was up for a moment...

Soon, I got help from both Nozyspy and Pahricida to get in touch with Beast, and we sorted it out perfectly fine.

Once again, apoligizes for any uncomfort I've done to you. But: Think of what uncomfort you (all people on the planet...) may cause before you write something. I think I've learnt that lession now... We are all human beings y'know. We do errors, but we also have options.

Soon' date=' I got help from both Nozyspy and Pahricida to get in touch with Beast, and we sorted it out perfectly fine.[/quote']

Why was permission not originally obtained in the first instance? It was called down due to an issue of plagurism (it's intriguting why exactly why you target OJP with issues regarding permissions).

I am personally disgusted that hijacking other's work and modifying it (especially with permission as an afterthought rather than a main concern) is classified by yourself as 'hard work'. The bulk of it was done by someone else, and harvesting is not an all important skill.

You shouldn't need to prove yourself as any useful talent would occur naturally and be fairly evident. Try building something from scratch, that is a stand alone in it's own right (as opposed to an add-on to something else).

There's a difference between having trouble contacting an author and not trying at all. In any case JK3Files policies are very clear on what is and isn't acceptable. You can't simply claim "oh, I couldn't get in contact with them" and then proceed to release their mod as your own work.

Hardly anyone in this community is concerned with giving credit where credit is due unless they're forced to. It's rather sad, actually... It's also a reason why a lot of modders have left JK3 for greener pastures.

I hope that doesn't include us :(

I've been busting my balls with sending all of these professional sounding e-mails to people. I even noticed that I forgot to send an e-mail to Spanki, and instead had sent e-mails to HapSlash and Selek instead, for their Jedi Customization packs ;o

Unfortuantly we have not had such luck with MB2. Especially given that such authors were still around to lodge such a complaint.

Oh snap!

You shouldn't need to prove yourself as any useful talent would occur naturally and be fairly evident. Try building something from scratch, that is a stand alone in it's own right (as opposed to an add-on to something else).

It also sets OJP apart from just being a base conversion. The more original work the better.

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Telekinesis;93137

-the push animation would be awesome

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Revan_Dark_Star_Wars_Hilts;46744

-some very nice hilts

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/UltimateWeapons;91175

-the best weapons mod

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/AdZs_Force_Mod;93100

-icons for force powers

and all the jedi/sith customizations...

I think those mods should be implemented into OJP 1.3!!

I'm with your stand too. The really sad truth about this, though, is that the JKA community lacks people who are willing to help make contributions for the mod only

I agree, though, that all this "borrowing" of assets is starting to make me feel uneasy

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Telekinesis;93137

-the push animation would be awesome

With the addition of a Force TK power, that would be even more awesome!

Max has got permission for those. Unfortunately those are also the only custom hilts that work on the TNT server...

Exactly my opinion!

I like those. Maybe someone can adapt the color themes of the icons to fit the OJP theme?

and all the jedi/sith customizations...

I think those mods should be implemented into OJP 1.3!!

Definitively!

I'm with your stand too. The really sad truth about this, though, is that the JKA community lacks people who are willing to help make contributions for the mod only

I agree, though, that all this "borrowing" of assets is starting to make me feel uneasy

How do you think I feel... My special talents are effects, sounds and models. But some of this is pretty new (I started modelling last winter), and I did that mod before I even knew how to create a simple mesh...

Although Beast wasn't so easy to find: He left the modding community 1½ years ago, and I think he's got a new email address (he checks his old one very rarely), plus that the MBII documentation didn't leave any email contacts whatsoever...

But we've sorted that out now, with the help from the JK3Files staff (thanks Inyri for getting me on track!), so why keep on doing this ballet of accuses and aggressivity? I worked on that mod for 2 years, and you gather a lot of things that you can't remember where you got'em from. Can you be sure you're not plagiarizing?

Aswith SilentSight and UDM, it's preferable to make stuff that's OJP-only, that no-one else has. For a lot of these things, we can make our own - and make them unique and better by making them from scratch. There are some things like models and maps that we don't have the manpower for, so sure, we can get permission for those.

All this other stuff?

TK? We can do better. We were already discussing about implementing our own even before that mod came out.

Icons? We can do better (and sorry but my opinion is that those icons are fugly)

Stances, anims, effects? We can do better.

Just need some time and patience.

Raawr if people had a q3 exporter for Maya 2008 / 3dsmax 2009 I could be capable of helping out.

But thar be only old crap and I don't feel like going through the trouble of finding a good source to edit & recompile.

Old versions are craptastic for me to handle because they lack features that I'm used to now lol.

How do you think I feel... My special talents are effects' date=' sounds and models. But some of this is pretty new (I started modelling last winter), and I did that mod before I even knew how to create a simple mesh...[/quote']

Again, I reinforce the point that any skills would be fairly evident, and, keyword, *do not need to be proven*, so quit trying to prove yourself (especially by giving start dates which give no indication for level of skill).

Although Beast wasn't so easy to find: He left the modding community 1½ years ago' date=' and I think he's got a new email address (he checks his old one very rarely), plus that the MBII documentation didn't leave any email contacts whatsoever...[/quote']

These are all just excuses! My goodness, you can run a search in Google (second article if it isn't blatantly obvious!) and you would find the MB team and their forums!

You make them sound like they just recently purchased cloaking technology off of the Klingons and took to sneaking around the backpassages and alleyways at night.

I worked on that mod for 2 years' date=' and you gather a lot of things that you can't remember where you got'em from.[/quote']It's not really your work then is it if it's been gathered from other people?

Don't you have a conscience that quietly lets you know that maybe, just maybe, using other people's work in place of your own is both lazy and false?

Just a little bit?

But we've sorted that out now, with the help from the JK3Files staff (thanks Inyri for getting me on track!), so why keep on doing this ballet of accuses and aggressivity? I worked on that mod for 2 years, and you gather a lot of things that you can't remember where you got'em from. Can you be sure you're not plagiarizing?

Er what? I'm missing something here, because I don't know what you're talking about

-0mega-;2515263']Raawr if people had a q3 exporter for Maya 2008 / 3dsmax 2009 I could be capable of helping out.

lol if people had a Q3 exporter for Lightwave...=\

Some of the stuff I've already done and textured are still sitting around on my desktop waiting to be exported. Even though I'm aware of the way to do it (which is from Lightwave to Blender to md3), I really don't have the time to do trial and error for lightwave exporting because I'm getting lots of weird stuff while exporting

lol if people had a Q3 exporter for Lightwave...=\

Some of the stuff I've already done and textured are still sitting around on my desktop waiting to be exported. Even though I'm aware of the way to do it (which is from Lightwave to Blender to md3), I really don't have the time to do trial and error for lightwave exporting because I'm getting lots of weird stuff while exporting

Yeah it sucks having to use weird methods by exporting 3 times.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mbristol/md3/index.html

Probably won't work for your version but if you find sourcecode you're already there.

I have found sourcecode for my 3d modeling tools but it's too much a hassle to edit all that crap and compile it lol.

Not to add that the majority of people left on the modding scene are people who only post *REQUEST* PLZ MAKE THIS!!!

-0mega-;2515807']Not to add that the majority of people left on the modding scene are people who only post *REQUEST* PLZ MAKE THIS!!!
:o

You mean to tell me people actually still say please?

I'm missing something here, because I don't know what you're talking about
If I remember correction, I had to beat some crediting out of him over the course of several weeks before we could put one of his files up. Of course I could be remembering another user. So many people refused to credit their work....

I had to beat some crediting out of him over the course of several weeks

Beatings for several weeks? Quantanamo bay has better human right policies for suspected terrorists!

What'd you do if they upload poor quality work? Organise a test-drive of the concrete shoes and a trip in the ocean?

You mean to tell me people actually still say please?

Only in outdated parts of Britain. On that note my monocle and top-hat need dusting.

I don't actually own a monocle and top-hat, but if I did, they would definitely need dusting.

Beatings for several weeks? Quantanamo bay has better human right policies for suspected terrorists!
Well if he had just told me we could've stopped for tea and crumpets. On that note, my monocle is still in tip-top condition (as those who've seen it will certify!).

Archived