Home

"Knights of the Old Republic" Era vrs. "Episode I, II, & III" vrs. ...

The Source

"Knights of the Old Republic" Era vrs. "Episode I, II, & III"  

41 members have voted

1. 1. "Knights of the Old Republic" Era vrs. "Episode I, II, & III"

• "Knights of the Old Republic I"
    • "Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords"
    • "Knights of the Old Republic" Era
    • "The Old Republic: Darth Bane" Era
    • "SW: The Phantomm Menace"
    • "SW: The Clone Wars"
    • "SW: Revenge of the Sith"
    • "SW: Episode I, II, & II" Era
    • "SW: New Jedi Order & Legacy of the Force" Era

Nothing can match the impact of Star Wars (not "Episode IV" or "Star Wars: A New Hope", just "Star Wars"). Can anyone even imagine people today waiting in line three hours to see a movie eight months after its release?

However, for this thread, I have to say KotOR has had a greater impact than the prequels or EU. The movies were good, but people have moved on. Nobody waits with bated breath for the next EU novel. But look at how people still play and mod KotOR, and how we even have a forum dedicated to KotOR 3, a game that hasn't even been confirmed to be in progress.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was the original poll modified? I was under the impression that "1,2,3" actually referred to the original trilogy (more so b/c of the progression of eras in the poll). I agree somewhat with Ender and that Ep2/5 (ESB) is the best of the lot.

I was only looking at the newest stuff. I personally don't believe we can compare the best in the series with the latest. Lol... Star Wars: Episode IV, V, and VI will forever be the greatest in the franchise. My opinion of course. When I was thinking about this thread, the one question that came to mind was, "Which of the new projects has the most impact?"
If this explanation had been included in the original post then this poll would have made a lot more sense.

That being said, I vote KotOR era. :)

I like the original trilogy era alot more than prequels...

However, I think that the Kotor era has much more to... offer, I suppose is the word.

It's so drastically different than the other Star Wars era, and there is so much history, I think that Kotor era is one of the best, if not the best, Star Wars era.

KotOR is better than the Prequels; and TSL kicks ass but...

The OT, now and forever, amen. :)

And as for the choices? I like the KotOR era the best. But put EpV in there and it'll be a different story.

QFT

Personally of poll options I would have 1 = ESB 2. ANH 3. KotOR TSL 4. RotJ (Ewoks v Stormtroopers = Ewok win? Eh? That always annoyed me!)

(Ewoks v Stormtroopers = Ewok win? Eh? That always annoyed me!)
Same here, but then the AT-ST log traps and the lassoing and clotheslining of the biker scouts slightly redeemed an otherwise ridiculous scenario.

Same here, but then the AT-ST log traps and the lassoing and clotheslining of the biker scouts slightly redeemed an otherwise ridiculous scenario.

Aye, to be honest they could have made it make much more sense if Chewey had stolen the AT-AT shown earlier (to transport Luke to Vader) and used that to kill the majority of the Storm troopers; although really they should have had it on Kashyyyk and not Endor; thus meaning Wookiees would have done the troopers. What made it even more silly though were apparently they were a legion of the Emperors best troops and they got done by a bunch of teddy bears?

You got that right. Each book kept getting worse and worse...

Unfair. The middle ones, with the exception of Sacrifice, were admittedly a bit tiresome. But I think the last two at least were good. Kept me with them at least. Plus, they beat the snot out of the rest of EU novels. New Jedi Order anyone? At least LotF had some measure of credibility, viz., no sentient planets, 'thought bombs' and so on...

Well forgive me for being an NJO advocate, I simply love that story arc to be honest.

Legacy was terrible, the only redeeming factor for me was the Mandalorian subplot. An extragalactic race bent on destruction seems a lot more credible to me than a character doing something that he logically never would do. The Yuuzhan Vong was a unique idea, and it definitely captured my attention because it was certainly possible.

What wasn't possible was for Jacen to be refusing to fight around the NJO era, and reluctantly so even towards the end, to suddenly return from his little soul-searching trip as a violent instigator. He'd already become 'invincible' at the end of NJO, why does he suddenly come back and decide to be 'invincible' all over again as a Sith Lord? Is he just so powerful that Lucas just wanted to kill him off?

So having a pacifist Jedi go murderous Sith Lord in less than a decade is credible?

Um, compared to the stuff I mentioned and in the context of the Star Wars galaxy itsself.... Yes?

Well forgive me for being an NJO advocate, I simply love that story arc to be honest.

Legacy was terrible, the only redeeming factor for me was the Mandalorian subplot. An extragalactic race bent on destruction seems a lot more credible to me than a character doing something that he logically never would do. The Yuuzhan Vong was a unique idea, and it definitely captured my attention because it was certainly possible.

What wasn't possible was for Jacen to be refusing to fight around the NJO era, and reluctantly so even towards the end, to suddenly return from his little soul-searching trip as a violent instigator. He'd already become 'invincible' at the end of NJO, why does he suddenly come back and decide to be 'invincible' all over again as a Sith Lord? Is he just so powerful that Lucas just wanted to kill him off?

We know that he was tortured during the NJO, and that this precluded his fall, so having him reluctant to fight in the NJO is misleading. At first, yes, but not thereafter. Plus, he was only briefly invincible as I understand it, and he knew that he would never achieve such a state again...

But the changes to him during the time between the NJO war and LotF could hvae been caused by any number of other things, and as character psychology goes in the Star Wars canon, it makes some sense I think...

Um, compared to the stuff I mentioned and in the context of the Star Wars galaxy itsself.... Yes?

Forgive me, I didn't make my main point as poignant as I first thought. Now we're talking about the realms of fiction, where physically, anything is possible. The only boundaries are the ones set by the authors (and Lucas, in this case). Now, they can push the boundaries as much as they (or Lucas) wants here, and it's still plausible. However, when it comes down to the characters, we're talking about their personalities, which an author simply can't butcher for sake of a plot device. The Dark Nest Trilogy was a turn-off as well, because you would think that Jacen would have been above the influence of whatever force-training cultures he encountered during his self-imposed exile, especially after the events at the climax of NJO.

We know that he was tortured during the NJO, and that this precluded his fall, so having him reluctant to fight in the NJO is misleading.

And having characters that were best of friends, other than Jacen and his family, must be misleading as well? I seem to recall an incident in Legacy where Tahiri and Leia quite seriously wanted to kill each other. I thought it was some sick joke of the author.

At first, yes, but not thereafter. Plus, he was only briefly invincible as I understand it, and he knew that he would never achieve such a state again...

And you really think the morals and restrictions he had wouldn't stop him from trying to achieve 'invincibility' again? The real Jacen, not the authors' Jacen, would have known better.

But the changes to him during the time between the NJO war and LotF could hvae been caused by any number of other things, and as character psychology goes in the Star Wars canon, it makes some sense I think...

Yet those 'things' haven't been revealed, making Jacen's descent to the [now reestablished] dark side of the force seem rather arbitrary and pointless to the shrewd reader.

Forgive me, I didn't make my main point as poignant as I first thought. Now we're talking about the realms of fiction, where physically, anything is possible. The only boundaries are the ones set by the authors (and Lucas, in this case). Now, they can push the boundaries as much as they (or Lucas) wants here, and it's still plausible. However, when it comes down to the characters, we're talking about their personalities, which an author simply can't butcher for sake of a plot device. The Dark Nest Trilogy was a turn-off as well, because you would think that Jacen would have been above the influence of whatever force-training cultures he encountered during his self-imposed exile, especially after the events at the climax of NJO.

mm, I don't know about the Dark Nest, I haven't read it. But I think overall that compared to, say, Anakin Skywalker, Jacen's fall to the Dark side makes a lot of sense, because we can see the changes even from the NJO, then in a much steeper descent throughout LotF. And I imagine he did think he was above their influence, but what someone thinks and what actually happens is often very different. Jacen was an exceptionally strong person, but he was stil manipulated by Lumiya on numerous occasions, so I don't think having him being influenced by mysterious alien Force cultures is beyond the realms of plausiblity.

And having characters that were best of friends, other than Jacen and his family, must be misleading as well? I seem to recall an incident in Legacy where Tahiri and Leia quite seriously wanted to kill each other. I thought it was some sick joke of the author

I don't see what you're getting at there, sorry...

And you really think the morals and restrictions he had wouldn't stop him from trying to achieve 'invincibility' again? The real Jacen, not the authors' Jacen, would have known better.

Well that's my point, he has reached invincibility once, knows such a state is possible, and goes about achieving it by other means, even if he thinks he's doing it for his war on chaos.

Yet those 'things' haven't been revealed, making Jacen's descent to the [now reestablished] dark side of the force seem rather arbitrary and pointless to the shrewd reader.

I suppose it leaves it open, so the reader is able to imagine what could have changed Jacen, or contributed to the changes, and that's one of the advantages of open-ended story arcs like that. Plus, the EU, is being constantly updated, so I would imagine the details will be filled in at some point. And if they're not, I'll be happy coming up with my own theories.

mm, I don't know about the Dark Nest, I haven't read it. But I think overall that compared to, say, Anakin Skywalker, Jacen's fall to the Dark side makes a lot of sense, because we can see the changes even from the NJO, then in a much steeper descent throughout LotF. And I imagine he did think he was above their influence, but what someone thinks and what actually happens is often very different. Jacen was an exceptionally strong person, but he was stil manipulated by Lumiya on numerous occasions, so I don't think having him being influenced by mysterious alien Force cultures is beyond the realms of plausiblity.

I suppose it leaves it open, so the reader is able to imagine what could have changed Jacen, or contributed to the changes, and that's one of the advantages of open-ended story arcs like that. Plus, the EU, is being constantly updated, so I would imagine the details will be filled in at some point. And if they're not, I'll be happy coming up with my own theories.

And yet the authors never flesh out the story, meaning that until it is revealed, doubting people like myself will be left with the belief that the authors overlooked the use any use of character logic whatsoever. I'm sorry, but I don't buy the Vergere/Lumiya influenced him crap.

I don't see what you're getting at there, sorry...

What I'm trying to point out here is that Jacen's plotline isn't the only one that Allston, Traviss, and Denning butchered. Tahiri grew up with Han and Leia by her side. They were essentially her family, since she didn't really grow up with one. You don't simply point a lightsaber at your adoptive mother after a matter of months into a new war. Her whole allegiance to Jacen was a bit out of whack too; she had to resist Yuuzhan Vong influence for a long time, why did she bend so easily to his will? She's not so thick that she'd follow her lover's brother, instead of her brother, she should have easily been able to see right through what she was doing.

Well that's my point, he has reached invincibility once, knows such a state is possible, and goes about achieving it by other means, even if he thinks he's doing it for his war on chaos.

And why would he continue to persue invincibility? I dunno, I just have it in my head that after the state of bliss he achieved while fighting Onimi that he would realise that there wouldn't really be true need for it to happen again.

Archived