Home

Debate:: Fate of “Knights of the Old Republic 3”: MMORPG –or- SPRPG?

The Source

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lucasarts isn't going to pay a bunch of modders for adding stuff into their game. Especially considering they didnt care enough about the cut content to delay release until it was implemented fully.

Plus, by law, Lucasarts CAN'T pay them.

They can't pay them for TSLRP, but in theory they can hire them for KotOR III.

I just hope that the mmo will not tell us all the details of what happened to Revan and the Exile. I think that putting it 100 or so years after KOTOR is a very bad idea because all of the characters will be gone and you either won't know what happeened to them or you will see Revan's grandchild as a main character.

I honestly would be delighted for it to be set 100 years or more after TSL - I don't care about what happened to Revan or the Exile. Besides, it'd probably be explored in the backstory. From a safe distance. Preferably with the benefit of hindsight so we can say "Geez, these guys were both tools."

But but how could you not care about God 1 and God 2 Revan and Exile??? Just so we can have a God 3 New Character? I wouldnt mind if the MMO were set either in Mandolorian Wars or after K2 but I dont want it to far after K2 50 years at the most.

K3 needs to be directly after K2 so we can play as the Exile searching for Revan once (The searching part will only be a small portion of the game almost like the Endar Spire&Taris/Peragus begin level) we find Revan we get to pick who we want to play as for the rest of the game

In my opinion only, if they are making an MMO for KoTOR, I think they are fools. Warcraft was made an MMO after the release of both Warcraft 3 and its expansion, both of which were very popular and well done. While WAR never had popular games to start with. It had a nice, clean, blank slate.

The Kotor series ended in unfulfillment, and Galaxies (A starwars MMO...) is full of disappointment. Then their newest project has provided to be less than satisfying to a decent base that have played it. (TFU)

Anyone see what i'm getting at here?

They are taking a design they have already failed to adapt to their storyline, and are going to place it on a game storyline which WAS flawless UNTIL they screwed it up, and their recent projects have all been less than what ANYONE has hoped for.

Ladies and gentlemen, that would only be ONE piece of the FAIL cake.

Like i've said before, and will continue to say, they've already failed once at an MMO attempt. So they have decided to try again...At a time in which WoWs Lich is upcoming. At a time in which Starcraft II, which Blizzard will of course create a World of Starcraft from, is upforth. At a time in which Warhammer Age of Reckoning is blowing away PvP competition. And I wouldn't be surprised if a 40k WAR MMO isn't in consideration.

So they are creating a futuristic MMO at the same timeframe in which Blizzard is, and even may have Mythic Entertainment to deal with as well. That would be, IMHO, insanity. The base of players they are attempting to pull from will be LOW merley due to the fact that a Starcraft MMO will suck up a HUGE amount of any serious MMO players. WAR, at this time atleast, has a deadlock on the best PvP MMO to have come along from what i've heard.

Oh...And I did mention StarWars Galaxies right? Any serious Starwars fan that wanted a Starwars MMO, and is willing to pay, is the current player-base of that game as it stands. LA just basically gave the proverbial finger to every single one of those players..."Yha, we know you bought our ****ty MMO, which you wasted your time on building your characters. So we decided to make this BRAND NEW MMO which will be awsome this time. (We promise)"

A KotOR based MMO? No thanks, I'll sit back and play Fable 2 while I wait for Mass Effect 2 instead.

To be fair JMJ, Galaxies largest criticism was that it wasn't finished. At first you couldn't become a Jedi. Then Yes you can, but how is a mystery... then it became Jedi versus BH... then the balance wars came.... composite wars... Then the beast wars... then they killed the original game... As if the CU wasn't enough, they killed that game too and gave them the NGE... By this time most of the original players had been scared off. The game is now 5 years old and (still) bugged like crazy(but better than it's been in a long time). Most of the serious SW fans and SWMMO fans are either afraid to go back or just so ticked at SOE that they refuse to go back. Galaxies lacked content from the start. It wasn't as noticable at first, but when they made it easy to get to the top levels, it became glaringly obvious that there was very little else to do. It took them 4 years to start adding content.

I also feel that it might be a good time for a SW MMO. a new SW cartoon, bunch of people interested in SW. MMO players growing... People getting sick of WOW.

The problem is they have to make it compelling, have a ton of content, be as easy to use as WOW without being a WOW clone, and of course ignore all the fanboys...

Definitely MMO thanks to starwarsmmo.net

Looks fake. I've seen that link and seriously it looks like they just cut the words out of the image and then made their own website. The background looks poor and if this is real, then its a really crap website design.

The sad thing is this new "The Old Republic" game looks like it may be an excellent game. I probably would be unabashedly and extremely excited if it wasn't for the fact that it replaced KOTOR III. How can this tie up all the loose ends from the first and second game when it ingores almost all of them?! Why couldn't they have made an epic game with the characters invovled in the inital storyline to wrap them up mostly then have the RPG end with the True Sith invasion just posponed instead of stopped. That would have been an innovative end. Then move onto this MMO. Since this game purportedly will have more story content "than all other bioware games combined" and is meant to be KOTOR 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 etc at the same time. It seems like less of a unrealistic demand from the creators. Now any interest I might have in the game is stifled by my anger. :(

The sad thing is this new "The Old Republic" game looks like it may be an excellent game. I probably would be unabashedly and extremely excited if it wasn't for the fact that it replaced KOTOR III. How can this tie up all the loose ends from the first and second game when it ingores almost all of them?! Why couldn't they have made an epic game with the characters invovled in the inital storyline to wrap them up mostly then have the RPG end with the True Sith invasion just posponed instead of stopped. That would have been an innovative end. Then move onto this MMO. Since this game purportedly will have more story content "than all other bioware games combined" and is meant to be KOTOR 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 etc at the same time. It seems like less of a unrealistic demand from the creators. Now any interest I might have in the game is stifled by my anger. :(

Anger it is, feels like in a way that all the world terrors coming on my head. I guess it is time to conclude all these threads. KOTOR is dead. 300 years after Jedi civilwar and on top of that no chracters we love to see in the game again again, my God, unbeleiveble how fanny that is.

What's gonna happen now is they will shout their mouth with all "good if not the best things" about this what they call SWTOR game.

For me, even if I want to, I'm not gonna be able to play that game, cuzz there is no such IP arround here that would understand that. That is why I was realy hopping for normal KOTOR sequal, and I was wrong.

Thanx LA, thanx a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually K.O.T.O.R 3 hasn't been confirmed as anything yet, notice the gap between K.O.T.O.R 2 and the new MMO? the next K.O.T.O.R could easily fit in their and i don't think that it will start in the same way as the others as for the people who make the K.O.T.O.R i agree that bioware should carry on with it, although an improvement in graphics can dramatically improve any game experience. To be honest i could wait another five years and hype myself up :p until it does come out i don't want it runied by some crazy money loving company demanding this and that if the game isn't completed like K.O.T.O.R 1 they never got to complete the HK factory or one of the darkside female endings for the acutally game although the mods are avaliable i think for both,i think you should also add a pole to this so that people can get a glimpse or what the community thinks.

My message to the developers of the next K.O.T.O.R is basically please take your time don't rush you have alot of time ignore our complaints about the time that it takes to make the game, i want it to be an unforgettable gaming experience as many others would be, make sure that you are happy with the game and that you feel it's completed in every way possible, don't be afraid to try anything and everything even if you are unsure about adding something after you feel the game is finished feel free to try it before you even announce a release date, one long messge i know hope they manage to even get a glimpse at this :p

PS. I LOVE K.O.T.O.R FOR LIFE

:lsduel:

By this point we have seen TFU and SC4, the unveiling of the upcoming SW:TOR.

I have sort of kept along with what's been going down with the whos and whats in terms of future products. I see what's going on. I can only hope for the best. Unfortunately the more the hyped up projects become, the less excited I get.

However the MMORPG format chases me away for so many reasons I don't even care to think about right now. Basically it's about subscription hassles and what MMORPGS essentially are: socializing media (redundant and pointless). Amongst other things.

I'd say a few new features on top of being well done in the same format as the previous 2 and a nice wrap up to the storyline would do the series justice. I'd even wait a long time for it. I mean, S--T, I've waited this long for team-gizka.

The mmo idea...I don't like it. I doubt there is anything to make me change my mind. I agree, it ought to be a SINGLE thing. But alas. SO......

If it is network or internet capable, there should still be a properly done kotor 3 as its own game at a bare minimum. Still, the departure from the engine, gameplay and all that would be unsettleing.

I am to the point now where I am demanding a product that does justice to the series. IMO this recent MMO move does NOT. If 'the old republic' is the final installment, I will feel alienated and robbed.

I want a good last SINGULAR installment.

This is a tricky topic-- It's obvious that The Old Republic isn't a direct follow-up to The Sith Lords; it has a different name, setting, and contract. However, it seems that the main storyline will follow that setup by Kotor and Kotor II. With that said, there is the possibility that this MMO and a Kotor 3 could work. How? Quite easily, actually. The writers can leave specific plot wholes to work to be specified in Kotor 3-- how did Revan die? The Exile? What happened in the Unknown Regions? To Rand? These things can be hinted at in the MMO and answered in Kotor 3. I can hope, anyway.

The writers can leave specific plot wholes to work to be specified in Kotor 3-- how did Revan die? The Exile? What happened in the Unknown Regions? To Rand?

Having that not explained in TOR isn't any more of a plot hole than it not being explained in Episode I.

Having that not explained in TOR isn't any more of a plot hole than it not being explained in Episode I.

It is possible that they are working on KotOR III in secret, but if they are they really need to get together with Obsidion because KotOR II had the better interface compared to KotOR I.

I think Old Republic is 300 years later so that you maybe spark some interest, not sure what really was going on at that time that would be interesting though.

Mine point is that it (it being all those questions I stated) should be hinted at, given some story time, but not fully told. You want the answers to those questions, right? I know I do. It seems to me that the team writing TOR is interested in Revan and the Exile but are leaving out parts to be explored and answered, and this is my hope, by Obsidian in a single player Kotor 3.

Hopefully there is no inconsistencies with other stuff.

Well, I read the whole thing of PC gamer's article. By this point, we have no choice since the basic story of the true sith has now been revealed as well as a brief mention of revan and malak turning on each other--possibly where malak lost his original jaw.

It takes place 300 years after K2. The boss is the 1,000 year old emperor of the true sith or something.

If nothing else, I figure if we're dissatisfied, we could always make a MASS mod for kotor 1 or 2. Call it the KOTOR 3 project-an entire game remake. Take the storyline (more or less) from the mmo and come up with something else from there.

Hardly anybody agrees because they would want to make it their own game, but if there was a team of people who remotely agreed...hell, it might be better than nothing.

Archived