Home

Debate:: Fate of “Knights of the Old Republic 3”: MMORPG –or- SPRPG?

The Source

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Well, that's good. Not that I really care about KotoR 3 or KotoR MMO either way, I'm not invested in any way in the KotoR series. To be honest, the longer I go, the more I have a sense of 'Who cares' regarding the continuation of KotoR. Probably because of the moneydrive that was the core of TSL's development, from start to finish.

This was written by a moderator over at the Lucasarts forums.

It doesn't appear that this new Star Wars MMORPG is being positioned as KotOR 3. We don't know for sure yet since the game isn't officially announced but it seems that this new MMORPG will be called Star Wars: The Old Republic or something along those lines.

I wouldn't really mind if K3 was an MMO, but I'll be happy with it single-player. :)

Before I start spouting off like many others, I'm just making it known that I have NO direct knowledge about MMO's and don't believe any of the rumors I come across for KOTOR III development. I simply have the ability to piece together certain ideas from CONFIRMED sources.

I can see both fates for KOTOR III either dying or being imminent for the future. Since the first installment was such a success and the second simply had its potential cut short, there is definitely much profit to be made from the franchise. Unfortunately, the second KOTOR's quality may have killed the potential for a third because it had a significant influence on the fanbase. If the game was simply complete, then this wouldn't have had such an impact on the future for the program.

On the other hand, the second game did leave the game on a cliffhanger where the original pretty much was wrapped up at the end. If the second's deficiencies were not as significant as the fan's anticipation for the third, then it could be that Lucas Arts simply wanted to explore other ideas... knowing that the KOTOR fanbase was stable enough to be left alone for a while.

The fate of the game can go either way at this point. The fanbase has been weakening the longer the development has been put on hold. If the game isn't started soon, the profitability will be increasingly diminished because the fanbase weakens the longer they wait.

If they do start the third at this point, they need to do something radically different than the first two... maybe using the engine of TFU would reinvigorate the fanbase with a leap in gameplay to compensate for the disappointment of the last one.

I agree with what D_Y said. :)

Also, I think that, while the whole idea of the Old Republic MMO sounds interesting, as there are certain appeals such as options to play as something other than a jedi or dark jedi (maybe even a full-blown Sith), and something the depth of Galaxies, I am still not convinced on paying full price for a game then having to pay for the pleasure of using it every month.

If its production is inevitable, or already in the works, I firmly hope that the cliffhanger of TSL is left well alone, and that it is set in the Mandalorian Wars or the early Jedi Civil War - I for one would prefer to explore a continued story in my own time, at my own pace, and not be rushed by the constraints of play credit, or the wishes or, indeed, absence of other players.

Also, for me modding is what makes the first two so replayable. From what I understand, it will not be possible, or it will at least be much more difficult, in an MMO format. So, I am encouraged by the rumour, for that is all that it truly is, that the MMO will be separate from KotOR III. Both on their own sound interesting - mixing them sounds like a disaster-in-waiting.

As far as I am concerned I dont care what anyone says KOTOR 3 MUST BE made first. And it must be epic (Long, Surprising, *FUN*) and made to make us WANT IT EXTREMLY badly. I mean look how much anticipation there is for this game... There is as much anticipation as there was for Halo 3 and this game isnt even official yet lol (I AM NOT TRYING TO COMPARE.) And than once that is finished I dont think they should make any more installments to try to bring it back. Maybe they could do a whole project every few years that brings all 3 games in one Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic TRILOGY Set and updates their graphics, fixes bugs, and adds some new content. So in other words 3 should be the ending. If they want they could go back to the Mandalorian Wars but the ploy stays with Revan and the Exile (I HATE IT WHEN THEY CHANGE PEOPLE IN SHOWS AND MAKE NEW SERIES IT MAKES ME NEVER WANT TO CATCH UP WITH THE SHOW AGAIN) And after K3 I would not mind a KotOR MMO whether it be based durring K3, after, Durring Mandalorian Wars or in between... AS long as there is no dialogue options from NPC's telling you are Revan or the Exile or some retarded crap. But if KotOR MMO came after K3 I would try it for sure.

As far as I am concerned I dont care what anyone says KOTOR 3 MUST BE made first. And it must be epic (Long, Surprising, *FUN*) and made to make us WANT IT EXTREMLY badly. I mean look how much anticipation there is for this game... There is as much anticipation as there was for Halo 3 and this game isnt even official yet lol (I AM NOT TRYING TO COMPARE.)

Although I would like a KOTOR3, i've come to realise lately that there isn't even any indication, or possible need for a KOTOR 3. And a KOTOR 3 being made first isn't likely with the Old Republic MMO being made as we speak.

And than once that is finished I dont think they should make any more installments to try to bring it back. Maybe they could do a whole project every few years that brings all 3 games in one Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic TRILOGY Set and updates their graphics, fixes bugs, and adds some new content.

So, in addition to wanting a K3, you also want developers to waste time brining the games up to the current standard in technology?

What's the incentive for them to do that, even if they wished to?

No I would rather them bring the games up to current standard in technology than try to make a 4th game and totally @#$% up the series with trying to bring in new ideas and a new enemy.

And that is what I asked.

Again, why should they bother bringing them up to the current standard? Any such plan would have to involve charging the players for these supposed 'improvements' - as I can guarantee that developers wouldn't work on such a thing for free.

Yah I know they wouldnt want to but it would be to keep the series alive instead of coming up with a 4th game that could possibly ruin the series. And I mean that along the release of the 3rd game they release a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic TRILOGY

Which consists of

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic With updated graphics

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2-The Sith Lords With updated graphics

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3-The Darkness Released (my title)

And by updated I dont mean completly remade just updated so that they did what they could do to make it look better. And what I meant by every now and than is that they release new content or cut content for us to enjoy (hint-hint Lucas Arts PAY TSLRP and release it WITH THEM)

And by updated I dont mean completly remade just updated so that they did what they could do to make it look better.

Which would require considerable time and effort. Not to mention there's no guarantee any improvements could be made.

=Christos K]And what I meant by every now and than is that they release new content or cut content for us to enjoy (hint-hint Lucas Arts PAY TSLRP and release it WITH THEM)

Lucasarts isn't going to pay a bunch of modders for adding stuff into their game. Especially considering they didnt care enough about the cut content to delay release until it was implemented fully.

Plus, by law, Lucasarts CAN'T pay them.

Yah I know they wouldnt want to but it would be to keep the series alive instead of coming up with a 4th game that could possibly ruin the series. And I mean that along the release of the 3rd game they release a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic TRILOGY

Which consists of

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic With updated graphics

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2-The Sith Lords With updated graphics

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3-The Darkness Released (my title)

And by updated I dont mean completly remade just updated so that they did what they could do to make it look better. And what I meant by every now and than is that they release new content or cut content for us to enjoy (hint-hint Lucas Arts PAY TSLRP and release it WITH THEM)

Ok I KNOW it would take time I was just saying maybe they could do that while in production of K3 and I was joking about he TSLRP thing I know they couldnt do that they dont deserve to release it anyways it all property of TSLRP.
I'm not beating on you, so don't take this personally. By not using proper grammar marks, your posts come off a little awkward. Could you clarify? I don't understand your posts. I want to have a conversation with you, but I just need to understand your perspective. Please don't take this response harshly. :)

I think that an mmorpg based on the kotor game would be a brilliant idea. However, I also feel if the game is anything even close to SWG (galaxies) it will be a disaster! The game should use all original characters and plot points. The challenging factor will be getting good graphics, no lag (since it's an MMORPG), but most importantly the gaming factor. I'm not an mmo guy since I feel it's an unmastered game genre. Personally I would love to see the attempt. I don't have much faith in Lucasarts, but I do have faith in Bioware. We will see what happen's, I just hope they don't do the same RPG online format

And make it so anyone can be anything like a normal universe. How do you make a SW MMO interesting everyone will want to be Jedi or sith. I know I will be no matter what. Bioware better get creative and innovative and not dissappoint like TFU!

Archived