Home

Debate:: Fate of “Knights of the Old Republic 3”: MMORPG –or- SPRPG?

The Source

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LA couldn't help but make it like Galaxies. The best we could hope for is that the characters from the original games could be found.

Right. You're talking like it has already been released and you've played it. We haven't seen a single screen. Rubbish statement, certainly if you're trying to respond to someone who actually hopes it won't be like Galaxies and gives arguments.

Remember it's Bioware who are making it. Kings of balance.

Remember they've proven with Kotor that there are enough strong classes that aren't Jedi, to name a thing Galaxies lacked. I'd love to play Mandalorian or smuggler/bounty hunter like the Kotor classes, or even a Wookiee! I think many people with me. Bioware would be wise enough to make them equally strong. And attractive. Not the '99% players of the game are Jedi' Galaxies.

Well, I for one would welcome the opportunity, as Ztalker, to play as something else - especially, for instance, a ranking Sith officer, or even a Sith soldier. There are good character classes that can kill Jedi easily enough already extant within KotOR - Revan's Assassin squads that can prevent a Jedi from reading them - like Atton; droid classes like HK-47, specially designed to kill Jedi; as mentioned, Mandalorians, that may be capable of killing them...

I think if LA/BioWare manage to balance off the Jedi class, and give the option to play as something else while preserving the massive customation that (I have read) was available in Galaxies, it could be promising.

I still don't want to pay every month, though. :carms:

And it must be epic (Long, Surprising, *FUN*) and made to make us WANT IT EXTREMLY badly. I mean look how much anticipation there is for this game... There is as much anticipation as there was for Halo 3 and this game isnt even official yet lol (I AM NOT TRYING TO COMPARE.)

my thoughts exactly! :D

Maybe they could do a whole project every few years that brings all 3 games in one Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic TRILOGY Set and updates their graphics, fixes bugs, and adds some new content.

you mean like the movies. although i think its unlikely, that would be cool. like, make kotor's graphics beter! soon enough 1gb graphics cards will be old news. so it would be great to have super graphics on kotor.(hd, baby! whoo!) but i doubt theyd do too much as it would require changing the core innards of the game and stuff. (like i doubt theyd use physics cards)

Deleted bump attempt, you may not bump threads in the manner you attempted. Edit this post instead. Sorry. -RH

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not beating on you, so don't take this personally. By not using proper grammar marks, your posts come off a little awkward. Could you clarify? I don't understand your posts. I want to have a conversation with you, but I just need to understand your perspective. Please don't take this response harshly. :)

LOL no problem but I couldnt find many errors except for putting s in the ending of some words.

LOL no problem but I couldn't find many errors except for putting s in the ending of some words.
:D

Yes, I know Obsidian wouldn't want to, but it would help to keep the series alive. Instead of coming up with a 4th game, that could possibly ruin the series, Obsidian can also release an updated trilogy of Knights of the Old Republic".

It may consist of:

- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic With updated graphics

- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2-The Sith Lords With updated graphics

-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3-The Darkness Released (my title)

Knights of the Old Republic will forever be alive. Updating the graphics and files is a great idea. Maybe they can make them more compatible for Vista. :) That will drive up some sales.

I actually had this posted in another thread; however this one seems much more suited for this... though I did add a few things.

Anyhow...

I can guarantee you that the announcement is for KoToR: Online if you're still on the edge about it.

John Riccitiello (big boss at EA) actually confirmed that Bioware Austin was working on a KoToR MMO a while back.

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/the-tech-observer/2008/07/17/ea-to-play-in-knights-of-the-old-republic

The invites that you are all talking about for the October "revealing" were given to numerous gaming websites...

... one site in particular would have no need to go if it wasn't an MMO. As the website http://www.massively.com got an invite and they are an MMO only oriented news site.

http://www.massively.com/2008/10/07/check-out-our-bioware-lucasarts-announcement-invite/

There would be no need for a BIG gathering just to announce another KoToR single player game... that's what E3,PAX etc are for. Honestly, think about it. In an MMO you actually have a vast amount of content you can present, while in a single player game you want to keep most things on the down low outside of basic game play and graphic engine elements.

I'll now explain my gripes with it being an MMO.

I myself wouldn't mind both... I want a KoToR 3 to explain what happened to Revan etc. If a MMO wants to come after to lead people on whatever fine by me. What Blizzard did to the Warcraft 3 story line still gets me ill. They turned Illidan and Arthas into jokes. I'd hate to see the same happen in the KoToR universe. How many of you want to see a bunch of HK-47's running around shouting "MEAT BAG." Personally I'd like Obsidian to release a patch finishing KoToR 2 for us but that's never going to happen. At least Team Gizka is working on that.

My big issue with MMO's is the time requirement. I was actually a Guild Master in the MMORPG WoW, I led a top US guild and cleared Sunwell. Hell I played the game for three years. However, now I am finishing up my final year of college and going to be getting a job in the dun dun dun game/film industry. I've quit MMO's as I don't have the time to commit to them. To be honest I don't know why I ever gave WoW so much of my time in to first place... It was probably just my competitive side getting the best of me.

You can argue the time thing all you want too, however it's the nature of an MMO. They are built to make you addicted. They add things to encourage the obsessive compulsive or completists, such as numerous stats, bars and achievements. If I made an MMO I would make it as addictive as possible... because once you lose interest you lose subscribers. Once that happens, people who still have interest see their friends leaving or feel alone and quit themselves. You have to make it addictive and you have to ensure strong social networks are created to bind people to your game. MMO's will always reward those with the most time to devote to them... always. There may be periods for others to catch up... very very slowly. But time = first to glory and leaders in power for MMO's.

The biggest issue with am MMO is if you want to be the best then you have to devote the most time. You have to level fast, you have to raid. In WoW you have an option of just doing Arena's... but that's so boring after a while. How long can someone enjoy doing a 2v2, 3v3 or 5v5 over and over and over again before it's lost all fun? It lost it for me that's for sure. But still, you have to devote time to standing around BG's for gear etc + PvE gear is always an advantage in a few slots in particular for each class. (I use WoW for most of the comparisons in this post)

All of this said. There are many people who are content just playing a game casual even if they are not the "best" in terms of placement, gear etc. Everyone is different. Others find a way to make the time to do it. I know plenty of people with jobs who raided. They just worked all day, came home, played WoW 6+ hours, slept... repeat. MMO's are an escape for a lot of people and even their "social life." It makes sense to reward those who spend the most effort with the best stuff. Just as you should in real life. But again, it's still a drawback.

In the end, it all really depends on how the game is made. If they turn it into a cartoonish game with 2 bars of abilities you smash just like in WoW and WAR it's going to get boring fast due to originality. I don't want to see WoW with some Star Wars skins. "Ok Jedi Guardian Steve! go in there and tank the Rancor while the Jedi Consular Ashley heals"... please not that PLEASE. The MMO world needs something fresh. Star Wars Galaxies actually had something interesting growing when it started out however it completely failed as time went on... especially the NGE. If they can actually make a real world based in the Old Republic, where you participate and grow with world that could be fun. They need to develop seamless worlds, with a SUPERB story and NPC interaction similar to KoToR. It must thrive on decision making of individuals and support individuals for it to carry the KoToR spirit... You should be able to make decisions that affect your allegiance... I could go on forever so I'll stop.

That said, it could very well be just an MMORPG in the KoToR Universe with absolutly nothing to do with the games to any grand extent. We all saw how KoToR 2 ended due to LucasArts forcing Obsidian to release the game on time. It was crap, but it also didn't really lead on to any other story other than the Exile and Revan are now off fighting some evil in the outer edges of the galaxy (the original Sith).

The sad truth though is most games are now trying to copy the WoW formula (AoC and WAR) and for the most part people are saying... why should I leave my friends to play something similar??? I had a ton of friends get WAR and almost all of them went back to WoW because they wanted to stay where they were comfortable socially. WAR is just WoW with a huge focus on PvP and AoC was just a pile of crap outside of the intro area Tortage. This game MUST be different, MUST pull it off and MUST listen to it's fans as well or it will just be another SWG. What WoW offers is not the end-all of the MMO experience for all time. Only time will tell if the development staff has the swagger to make something great without completely copying the norm.

Anyway.........

Yeah it's KoToR: Online... maybe they will shock the world and reveal two KoToR games rather than the one hinted in the invitation? I'm sure down the road we will see a KoToR 3 single player... but if it's not along with this MMO, it's going to be a long wait.

I just hope the MMO doesn't suck.

If it does... I'll just treat it like Crystal Skull and ignore it's existence and continue waiting for a KoToR game.

...... IF YOU THINK HARD ENOUGH IT WILL BE BOTH K3 and KOTOR MMO..... lol I still believe that this whole time since 2004 they have been making both K:Online and K3

Since Bioware Austin is specifically dedicated to MMO production at this moment in time, do you really believe that Bioware Edmonton has the staff to work Dragon Age, Mass Effect II and KoToR 3??? Not to mention production was just wrapped up on Sonic Chronicles.

The only possible way this could be otherwise is if Austin was also making a single player game. MMORPG staffs are huge and require a large concerted effort for years.

Look at Blizzard for exmple. They finished WoW development a while ago and have a dedicated staff for updates and expansion packs. They are also working on Diablo 3 and SC II.

Blizzard has over 2,500 employees to Bioware's 500 or so as well. I just don't see how this is possible to have KoToR 3 and KoToR: Online.

I honestly hope that this is a duel announcement as it would make everyone happy... however the odds of that are beyond low.

Let's not stop hoping...I hope that in a day like this, the EA CEO will publish a press release saying:

"No, Kotor III is not the MMORPG. Kotor III will be a true new installment in the Kotor Series. Strictly SPRPG..."

And that day should be near!

|I|

Ugh, not an MMO. I hate it when they try to bait the existing fanbase of an established series to another type of game by associating it with that series. It's such a letdown, like some kind of bait and switch scheme. If they want to create an MMO, I hope they call it something besides "KOTOR". :fist:

Maybe I will just pretend this never happens if this game is a failure... Just keep hoping ....... K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 K3 Hey I just thought of something where is the $#@! KotOR MMO and Bring Us KotOR 3 petition? Surely someone would have made one.

I too will sign up if one comes up I cant believe there wernt enough people to make one that makes me sad... Plus has anyone noticed that on BioWares site The MMO and LucasArts/BioWare Team Up is listed as two different things when you scroll onto BioWare's games.

I think there are enough people. No one stepped up to the plate...:(

Yah I know they wouldnt want to but it would be to keep the series alive instead of coming up with a 4th game that could possibly ruin the series. And I mean that along the release of the 3rd game they release a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic TRILOGY

Which consists of

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic With updated graphics

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2-The Sith Lords With updated graphics

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3-The Darkness Released (my title)

And by updated I dont mean completly remade just updated so that they did what they could do to make it look better. And what I meant by every now and than is that they release new content or cut content for us to enjoy (hint-hint Lucas Arts PAY TSLRP and release it WITH THEM)

Agreed. By the way, the title sounds badass. The Darkness Released. Cool title :).

Archived