Home

Debate:: Fate of “Knights of the Old Republic 3”: MMORPG –or- SPRPG?

The Source

Its going to have to be. I hate to be the neigh sayer, but the fact is that this is going to flop and they're (LA) going to drop the KOTOR series.

The reason I say this is simple. They have to convince serious MMO gamers that this is a better game then what they've put all their time and energy into. Eve has the SciFi MMO corner, and WOW has the fantasy. TOR will have to convince both parties that they should come and play this game.

Lets face it:

Force = is Majic (in WOW)

Speeders = Horse (or whatever they use in WOW)

Blasters = Bows and Arrows

They have building in Eve.

So aside from "The Star Wars Experience" (which you can get by playing any other star wars game) can anyone think of anyway that they can convince veteran MMO players to drop what they've invested their time and energy into, and come to TOR?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily--where or how is that assumption implied???

He has a point: how to convince veteran MMORPG players (not the whole gamer population) to come to us. One challenge.

Also at the same time, another challenge they have is how to convince skeptics to bridge the gap and make the jump--rather than just let it ride and hope the SW'ness is simply enough.

It took me a few years to even become interested in KOTOR after its initial release. Then a couple more for kotor 2.

I'm not much of an RPG-ist. If SC4 and SWTFU didn't come at such a financilly vicious time I might have bought those two despite my skepticism due to the fact I'm an action or a fighter freak.

One thing they will really have to try to sell people like me on is that the online-timid and skeptical ones like me...that this next installment will be familiar yet something more and greater...that its feel will be 'worth it'.

I agree ...and I do hope that they dont push the "artyness" of the new game too much, the simplified and cartoonish nature of the concept art really is off putting, KoTOR was stylized but within reason and very pleasing to look at. This new stuff is Disneyland and I hope they tone it down.

Honestly, I was expecting much more from the True Sith than a few "evil" sentients that want to become rules of the universe (man, am I getting tired of those sort of storylines). I won't go into detail here, but suffice it to say that if you played KOTOR II and understood the storyline, you know that the True Sith were supposed to change people from the inside, affecting them indirectly... they would become Sith without even realizing it (Kreia mentions that this war wouldn't be fought by conventional weapons). That's why Revan did what he did... he ravaged the galaxy to make it stronger; he wanted only to make people stronger so that they could resist becoming the slaves of the True Sith.

That's what I think, at least. I may be completely wrong, and Avallone had something totally different in mind. I am, however, quite sure that he didn't have an evil Emperor building a massive army in mind... his mind is more complicated than that, I'm sure. This sort of storyline wouldn't work in an MMO, anyway... which is probably why they've decided to simplify it. Or they simply can't come up with anything more original.

Anyway, I'll pass on this one. I don't only dislike the storyline, but the art direction as well. In fact, I don't like the graphic in general. I much prefer the way KOTOR's look.

That's one heck of a secret to keep for this long.

It would not surprise me in the least if 6 months after TOR is released, a press release comes out that Bioware is or has been working on KOTOR3.

And to plump up their bank accounts, they release KOTOR3 and the first TOR expansion at the same time.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! :)

That's one heck of a secret to keep for this long.

It would not surprise me in the least if 6 months after TOR is released, a press release comes out that Bioware is or has been working on KOTOR3.

And to plump up their bank accounts, they release KOTOR3 and the first TOR expansion at the same time.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! :)

Now that would be amazing. I don't really care how K3 is, so long as they tie up the loose ends.

I had managed to figure out a way that they could get TOR to turn a profit, but I can't remember it to save my life right now.

Archived