Home

PC Gaming: Is it worth it?

Relenzo2

PS3 does connect to the router. I know since my friend's been having a bad time of trying to get it to connect properly sometimes.

But, one thing that nobody's brought up yet, you can do so much more on the PC as opposed to the X-Box series, the PS's and whatever Nintendo releases. After all, I don't think many people are going to be doing this on a console? Well, actually, on the PS3 I know you can, it's just... difficult without the Keyboard.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, one thing that nobody's brought up yet, you can do so much more on the PC as opposed to the X-Box series, the PS's and whatever Nintendo releases. After all, I don't think many people are going to be doing this on a console? Well, actually, on the PS3 I know you can, it's just... difficult without the Keyboard.

But that's not exactly relevant to the discussion. We're talking about PC Gaming, not word processing or other activities.

Don't make me destroy you! :vadar:

In my opinion consoles are overrated, they are like outdated in what? 2 to 3 years? While a decent gaming PC can last for several years. For example my current rig is about 7 years old and I can still run most games on high, although I am building a new one which hopefully will be completed next week :)

But that's not exactly relevant to the discussion. We're talking about PC Gaming, not word processing or other activities.[/Quote]

It is if you're debating the strengths and weaknesses of both systems. If one is going to say that Consoles are better and then give one of the reasons as during multiplayer you can play with the people right next to you and goof off, well, that's not exactly related, directly, to how Console Gaming is better. Since I can console game by my self.

So, I guess it is relevant because the environment of gaming was brought up.

Don't make me destroy you! :vadar:

In my opinion consoles are overrated, they are like outdated in what? 2 to 3 years? While a decent gaming PC can last for several years. For example my current rig is about 7 years old and I can still run most games on high, although I am building a new one which hopefully will be completed next week :)

I feel like you didn't actually read this thread before you posted.

ET explained that consoles last for about 5 years, whereas computers become half as good every two years.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_Law)

I'm on the side of PC gaming, but I really do agree that computers become out of date very quickly. You are lying if you say that a video card like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrox_G400#Matrox_G450 ; found on google which released ~7 years ago) can play games like Crysis on high.

_EW_

Nope, 1280x1024. It ain't that much of a killer at all.

My new rig:

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz clocked at 3.0 GHz

GPU: XFX GeForce 9800GTX Black Edition 512MB PCI-E 2.0

MOBO: ASUS P5-E

RAM: GeIL Black Dragon Series 4GB DDR2 1066MHz

PSU: Coolermaster 700Watt

You are wrong Qliveur, I saw a test of my graphics card, and they where using pretty much the same rig, and they got 70 FPS out Crysis while the game was running at max settings ;)

But anyway,

Public warning for offensive picture after your earlier infraction for tasteless jokes. If you keep posting offensive comments/pictures, you'll be banned. --Jae

Like the poster!

I don't know about a whole 70 FPS, but you might get in that range...

Just remember, Vista-64 has tons of compatibility issues. All your 16 bit software will get the heave-ho (If you have any!) Then, there's about a 10% Performance hit with Vista.

But, you'll have to report back on your performance with Crysis.

For the sake of such a retarded argument: a Crysis benchmark from a reputable source. 1280x1024 results are in the table below. 70FPS?! Even a GTX280 or a 9800GX2 can't do that. :roleyess:

Actually, the 40FPS was a guess on my part, but as you can see, I was damn close. :D And I guarantee you that they weren't using max settings here. They weren't even using AA. And their test rig has a QX9650 and 4GB. I don't know what the guys that told you that a 9800GTX could run Crysis at 70FPS were smoking at the time, but be prepared to be bitterly disappointed. ;)

You're right on both counts. And that rig will play any other game very well. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Oh, and before I forget, GD: Save yourself a monster headache and buy yourself an OEM copy of XP so you can dual-boot and use old software and play old games without any problems. ;)

It's the best advice I can give anyone who's building a new machine. All you have to do is look around here at the countless posts devoted to rants about trying to run KotOR on Vista to see the wisdom in such a purchase. And it just needs to be XP Home, nothing fancy, and certainly NOT XP 64!!!111!!

Archived