Home

Jedi Knight Mod Status

DarkStarMojo

So, not good news on this front. I've made a "command decision", such as it is my part to make one, that JKMod for JA is going on "indefinite hiatus." Nothing's been cancelled, per se, but with school and DFMod I don't have the time to effectively work on a second game. We're short staffed and Shamus has been MIA for some time now, probably due to work and family (which is far more important, I hope you'd all agree). Given the circumstances my options are twofold: 1) pack it in and call it quits; 2) put things on hold until DFMod, school, and other concerns are effectively dealt with and then see about bringing the project back, possibly on a better engine, possibly still as a continuation of what we've started.

To that end, I've decided on option 2 being the best all around. If I can find the time, I may release what we've finished with the first demo on Filefront and JKFiles. It would be pretty rough in terms of textures and weapons but it's better than nothing.

My apologies, of course, to everyone who's been eagerly watching things progress (or lack thereof). If Shamus becomes available in the near future, I'm sure we'll address these issues more closely and make a definitive, final decision as he's still project leader and it's, ultimately, his final decision to make. But you shouldn't expect any updates, demos, or whatnot anytime soon.

There is, however, still DFMod to look forward to. ;)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. I think you should have put the Dark Forces mod on hiatus in favor of the Jedi Knight mod as I'm more excited about that one, but what ever. I guess it makes sense to go in chronological order.

Good luck, you guys. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope we get to see these mods released before we're all signing up for retirement. ;) Good luck with school and everything else.

• 5 weeks later...
YOU PUT THIS MOD ON HOLD!?!? NOOOOOES! I've watched you guys since Mr._Katarn first posted about this! NOOOOO! Will you post a download link to what you have done?

I kind of agree with you with the already finished work.

I need some textures in my part of the mod for jk2.

But i understand that sometimes things can come to the worst thing of all.:(

I'm going to see about putting together a "demo" of sorts consisting of the first level and the first half of the second level. I just need to finish textures, replace the weapon models, add enemies to level 2, and put together a clean, working build. No guarantees on when I'll get to it, though. I'm focused on DFMod right now and I want to keep progress on that moving forward without too many distractions before I have to go back to school.

Hey, I've been watching this since last April, thought until now I haven't been able to go anywhere except Shane's site.

Knowing that the same group is working on both DF and DF2 mods, I would be appalled to force you to work on both at once. Please finish DF before making DF2, because if you can focus your work on one game it'll come out faster and better!

Knowing that the same group is working on both DF and DF2 mods, I would be appalled to force you to work on both at once. Please finish DF before making DF2, because if you can focus your work on one game it'll come out faster and better!

I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, things have been a bit crazy on my end but hopefully if I can get everyone in one spot we can regroup and figure out what to do next. It's really a shame that Raven never released the SP SDK because then we would be able to keep everything that the original had. Ah well, c'est la vie. Once everyone gets back to me there'll be some news to post. :)

*Sigh* Thats really to bad about the Jedi Knight mod. I've been looking forward to it for... wow, almost a year now. Personally I would have stoped working on the DF mod and kept working on the Jedi Knight mod anyday but hey whatever.

Anyways good luck to all you guys.

Well, in terms of completed assets DFMod was much further along so it made more sense to complete that game and then proceed onto Jedi Knight. It's also worth noting that while some members of the DF2Mod team were also members of the DFMod team, the two projects had at no point prior to now been helmed by the same administrative staff. I was a mapping "grunt" on DFMod and took control of the second half of the project because it's my own personal ambition and nobody else seems likely to do so ;).

Well, in terms of completed assets DFMod was much further along so it made more sense to complete that game and then proceed onto Jedi Knight. It's also worth noting that while some members of the DF2Mod team were also members of the DFMod team, the two projects had at no point prior to now been helmed by the same administrative staff. I was a mapping "grunt" on DFMod and took control of the second half of the project because it's my own personal ambition and nobody else seems likely to do so ;).

HERE! HERE!

What DSM is saying is certainly true. While DFMod and DF2Mod shared stuff, they were two separate mods. And the #1 problem is, and always has been, finding talented and dedicated people to create the best possible work, in their spare time and for free. Not too tall an order there, eh? ;)

We've been fortunate to have had some really talented people contribute (where did you guys go?) and hopefully they'll get in back in touch to contribute more. We've even been contacted by some really talented people who never followed up from the initial contact--which is a shame; but we can't force people to contribute. :) And it's a testament to DSM's dedication that he's stuck through this even with a total news blackout on my part. DSM is an amazing asset to DF2Mod and it really shows in his work as anyone can see on the DF2Mod screenshot gallery.

The challenge ahead for DF2Mod is manifold and probably too long to go into right now, but hopefully we'll figure out how to keep this thing moving forward. As always, stay tuned... :)

Strong leadership is key to the success of any mod (and it doesn't hurt when the team leader is also a talented individual... for motivation's sake :)). I've been on several mod teams and all of them failed to complete their goals because they did not have a strong, talented individual to lead them.

Following up on some of those offers, even to the point of being pushy, can't possibly hurt your chances if the alternative is not getting any work out of those offers anyway. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well Its a shame to hear the JKMod is on hiatus but such is life. I remember being the resource manager back in the day when you guys were just starting out. *sigh* Good times. If you guys were getting paid for doing these mods I'm sure the DFMod would nearly be done lol. But you some times have to make sacrifices. I hope you atleasted get the DFMod finished. I dont care how long it take just as long as one gets finished, It'll be a big acomplishment for the whole modding community and you guys. Well Its always good to hear that your making your lives the #1 priorty. Its still good to see small work being done on one of the mods. Keep at it guys. Let me know if I can do some music editing for the team. I'm only too happy to help.

Strong leadership is key to the success of any mod (and it doesn't hurt when the team leader is also a talented individual... for motivation's sake :)). I've been on several mod teams and all of them failed to complete their goals because they did not have a strong, talented individual to lead them.

Following up on some of those offers, even to the point of being pushy, can't possibly hurt your chances if the alternative is not getting any work out of those offers anyway. ;)

That sounds like solid advice to me. Thanks a million.

Bomberman, I'll be sure to be in touch if we need anything. And yes, I'm dedicated to seeing DFMod through to completion. If nothing else, all the maps will be available as finished playable levels, even if we (hopefully not) can't managed to get the remaining models/cutscenes completed.

Archived