Home

Best Pixar Film Yet?

What is the best/your favorite Pixar movie?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best/your favorite Pixar movie?

• Toy Story
    • A Bugs Life
    • Toy Story 2
    • Monsters Inc.
    • Finding Nemo
    • The Incredibles
    • Cars
    • Rataoullie
    • Wall-E

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in a minority here, but for me, Cars wasn't great.
Cars > anything Dreamworks, but yeah I agree it wasn't their best movie.

I think if you compare Lasseter's movies to Bird's movies to Stanton's movies you can see that there's a difference in style.

Lasseter definitely loves the "hidden world of _______"/anthropomorphic type stuff (toys, cars, etc).

Bird tends to go a bit dark and turn things on their head (superheros that can't be super, rats that want to cook).

Stanton really likes to apply the monomyth in uncoventional ways (clown fish as hero, garbage-man robot as hero. I suspect that he split the difference with Lasseter on Bug's Life).

So far we only have the one movie from Pete Docter so too soon to tell what his gig is.

My point is that it's not as though there is a "typical Pixar movie". We wouldn't lump Michael Mann together with Francis Ford Coppola just because they both made crime movies with Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro would we?

Ya, and Mann did direct Last Of The Mohicans, which is far more different then Heat. And not as good:xp: But it comes down to taste I guess. Cars just wasn't my cup of tea. It's strange with me and movies actually, I have my top five movies and my movie that's better than anything else but not rewatchable, but after that it's jumbled up. Ah well.

But it comes down to taste I guess. Cars just wasn't my cup of tea.
I agree. Like I said, Cars wasn't my favorite either. I think I was just trying to point out that your source of contention might not be "what Pixar pushed too far" so much as it might be "what Lasseter pushes too often". :)

FWIW, I think Lasseter is an animator first and a storyteller second. Nothing wrong with that, however I think that the distinction does come through when you compare his films to those of the other directors in the Pixar stable.

I don't know... can they top Wall-E?

And they showed us that they can actually make good sequels, Toy Story 2 was actually good...

But how will they fare with Toy Story 3... and CARS 2? Why Cars? Why not Finding Nemo? I'd much rather see a second finding Nemo (or Wall-E :^:) rather than a second Cars.... :snear:

And they showed us that they can actually make good sequels, Toy Story 2 was actually good...

TS2 was good? You think so? I couldn't stand it, although I consider the first one to be the best Pixar work.

But how will they fare with Toy Story 3... and CARS 2? Why Cars? Why not Finding Nemo? I'd much rather see a second finding Nemo (or Wall-E :^:) rather than a second Cars.... :snear:

Finding Nemo seemed to have had it's whole story told. Cars, on the other hand, psi-story may have something else to explore.

I don't know... can they top Wall-E?
These are all good questions.

Pixar Policy: No sequels unless the story is just as good, if not better, than the original.

But how will they fare with Toy Story 3...
I'm actually kinda looking forward to it. Andy is heading off to college and donates the gang to a daycare (presumably where they will be loved by children forever).

and CARS 2? Why Cars?
I concur. I'd much rather they work on a sequel to The Incredibles.

Why not Finding Nemo?
11. Thou shalt not make sequels for classics.

I'd much rather see a second finding Nemo (or Wall-E :^:) rather than a second Cars.... :snear:
I would be very, very suspicious of a Nemo or WALL*E sequel.

I agree with Ctrl_Alt_Del; those stories were told.

This past Christmas, my family had a mini Pixar-athon. We watched some of the Pixar movies (starting with the Toy Stories, since I got them on DVD as a present). We didn't watch all of them, like The Incredibles or A Bug's Life. We mainly just wanted to watch the two we hadn't seen, Cars and Ratatouille. ...And I thought that they were so bad, that I only watched about half of each one before I gave up. I really didn't like them. Especially Cars, that one was terrible. Ratatouille was ok when you compare it to Cars.

And I can't wait for TS3, it should be epic.

P.S. Oh, wait, I take that back- I technically did watch all of Ratatouille, just not in one sitting. My mom had to re-watch the second half of it, since she fell asleep the first time. :lol:

TS2 was good? You think so? I couldn't stand it, although I consider the first one to be the best Pixar work.

Well, you know how sequels can be really, *really* bad?

Pixar showed they could make a tolerable sequel....

They didn't ruin it... like you can see with some sequels, it's like "Why were they made??" *cough* Bambi 2 *cough cough* *cough* Mulan 2 *cough cough*

I mean, when it comes to making sequels to something good, that wasn't meant to HAVE a sequel, it usually turns out bad.... But TS2, just was not a terrible sequel....

And I want to know what happened to the fishies in the bags at the end of Finding Nemo, that makes for a good sequel material to me... :xp:

I went with The Incredibles. There is so much for kids, kids at heart, and grownups with no heart to love in that movie. I especially loved how they worked in the theme of celebrating mediocrity over excellence.

and CARS 2? Why Cars?

I concur. I'd much rather they work on a sequel to The Incredibles.

My feelings exactly. I think they could come up with something good for Cars, but The Incredibles has so much potential to be mined.

My feelings exactly. I think they could come up with something good for Cars, but The Incredibles has so much potential to be mined.
FWIW, Lasseter says that the difference between Cars and Cars 2 will be comparable to the difference between Toy Story and Toy Story 2. With that said, I suppose that comment is only meaningful if you share the opinion that the second Toy Story was better than the first :(

In my opinion all the Shrek movies tanked... (Didn't even bother with 3) But most other people like them...:)

All 3 were horrible, I really despise Shrek, some of the most over-rated movies made in HISTORY.

Oh, and I voted for Finding Nemo, can't go past a fish that can speak whale. :)

Well, you know how sequels can be really, *really* bad?

Indeed.

Pixar showed they could make a tolerable sequel....

Barely torelable, which on Toy Story's case was a sacrilege.

They didn't ruin it... like you can see with some sequels, it's like "Why were they made??" *cough* Bambi 2 *cough cough* *cough* Mulan 2 *cough cough*

Can't say, as I haven't - fortunately - seen either, but if we talk The Lion King 2, I can understand your point. ;)

I mean, when it comes to making sequels to something good, that wasn't meant to HAVE a sequel, it usually turns out bad.... But TS2, just was not a terrible sequel....

No, but it was bad enough for me to dislike it.

FWIW, Lasseter says that the difference between Cars and Cars 2 will be comparable to the difference between Toy Story and Toy Story 2. With that said, I suppose that comment is only meaningful if you share the opinion that the second Toy Story was better than the first

And if you think that the first Cars was a stab at the chest, that makes Cars 2...?

And if you think that the first Cars was a stab at the chest, that makes Cars 2...?
I don't know how many times I need to point out that it was primarily geared toward U.S. audiences. If you didn't like the first one 1) we have a pretty good reason as to why and 2) don't spend your money on the sequel. Seems simple, eh?

P.S. Just got back from #8. The niece loved it. :)

Archived