Home

My rant on saber forms.

Kelldar

Ok so aside from the fact there's still no linux build *pokes dev's* it's time I had a little rant on Ataru and Niman.

Both forms work fairly well if you use them with their respective saber types (staff and dual) but effectively you're reducing the number of real forms to 5 as the anims for these forms without using the staff or dual lightsaber are disgusting and very shoddy looking. For example Qui-Gon did not walk around as if he had riggermortis in his left arm and fight accordingly so.

I feel that these forms have been ruined, though i understand that they have to be put in somewhere i feel FM3 does this slightly better and makes the 'dual' or 'staff' forms seperate for people using single or otherwise whilst still being the same 'form'

So what i propose is these two forms are made into real seperate forms and perhaps two more forms are made to incorperate Dual and Staff.

Not sure if i'm being to sketchy its late here so I'll be happy to explain a little better tomorrow lol.

Well, it WOULD be nice if Darthdie did some re-routing for the saber system and make anything that is hard-coded (preventing more styles) act as a conduit to the saber styles that are used area of code that will allow for 9 forms instead of 7 so people can use ataru and niman.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way, when you use them with single they look sloppy and useless I don't know about anyone else but when i saw yoda and qui-gon using Ataru it looked fluid not awkward.

You also distance yourselves a bit with RP'ers (oh yea here we go...) they usually like to keep things fairly cannon so consulars like niman. Niman isn't really an option as it is, same with ataru atm.

@ Maxstate: I disagree that two entire forms should be removed (not that we'd notice as i rarely see anyone using staff and duals) but like i said it would be nice to have Ataru and Niman as their own single forms and then two new forms added specifically for dual and staff.

@ DarthDie: Just pm'd you my x-fire so no more pokes lol :D

alright then we'll start crackin and create two brand new styles

hth

:D

Wether that was sarcasm or not at least I know the OJP team will give me a reply :xp: I know it would mean making the niman and ataru from scratch, and maybe i'm being slightly ignorant here as i've never made saberstlyes, if so then i apologize, but can't you just 'copy' the existing dual and staff styles into slots 8 & 9.. meh I'll just go back to skinning lol :p

We're not going to animate and code two new saber styles from scratch. From what I've heard, its way too difficult and time consuming. I think keshire tried once and couldnt finish it. What we might be able to do is mix and match certain saber swings for ataru and Niman kind of like how we did with coding the single saber blocks to work with them. I'm not sure how well this would work though or how fluid the styles would be.

ANd no I'm not home yet so don't bother IMing me :p

Yes, I was being sarcastic. This entire "rant" has nothing to do with the saber forms but has more to do with the lack of proper one-handed animations for the ataru and niman styles, which I never wanted in there, anyway.

I have two prepositions to fix them:

1) Remove them.

There is no reason to have them. I mean, why DO we need all of the forms available to people? MovieBattles does fine with just 3, and no one seems to care. Further more, it's more about the person fighting than the animation set ihe is using, which is why I present option two:

2) Change them to the base styles.

I can probably create a combination of animations, like Hockney said, that would look and feel better than their current animations.

Choose wisely.

whatever you do dont remove ataru. i rather like it the way it is. if anything say "screw it" to staff and dual sabers and just focus on the 7 single saber forms. In canon, not many people used staff or duals in the first place. and in reality, about 90% of the jka players left use single saber exclusively. no one complained that you could not have two sabers or staff in JO.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. This entire "rant" has nothing to do with the saber forms but has more to do with the lack of proper one-handed animations for the ataru and niman styles, which I never wanted in there, anyway.

I have two prepositions to fix them:

1) Remove them.

There is no reason to have them. I mean, why DO we need all of the forms available to people? MovieBattles does fine with just 3, and no one seems to care. Further more, it's more about the person fighting than the animation set ihe is using, which is why I present option two:

2) Change them to the base styles.

I can probably create a combination of animations, like Hockney said, that would look and feel better than their current animations.

Choose wisely.

Option two! DarthDie suggested changing the anims over x-fire.

Btw master server seems to be down so erm yeh.

• 2 weeks later...

after having some time to think it over and search into wookieepedia and jk3files i came up with an idea about niman. Since it blends all the other forms into it it would be difficult for the team to make it seem unique in combat. To make it a little more different why dont we make it a backhanded fighting type "Another unique lightsaber style was that of Adi Gallia who held her saber with a one-handed reverse grip resulting in wide, long swings." from wookieepedia. it would give it a little bit more style and variation, plus it could look better with the use of staff animations.

Archived