Home

Happy Independence Day!!

Aash Li

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Happy 4th all...don't eat too many hot dogs :)

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_070308/content/the_americans_who_risked_everything___rush_h__limbaugh__jr_.guest.html.guest.html

Here's a transcript of a speech that I found to be very interesting about the founding fathers of the Deceleration of Independence. If you're not conservative, then you'll want to avoid everything else on the site.

Why do people celebrate the fourth of July? It is pointless! It's like celebrating gettiesburg. Or the battle of bunker hill. I mean, just because some weird old guys decided to write some text, we have a holiday???? I mean, really. Americans are so odd. One moment they're colonists and the next, they are rebels. And that's cause for celebration??? Ah well.... Nobody's sane.

Why do people celebrate the fourth of July? It is pointless! It's like celebrating gettiesburg. Or the battle of bunker hill. I mean, just because some weird old guys decided to write some text, we have a holiday???? I mean, really. Americans are so odd. One moment they're colonists and the next, they are rebels. And that's cause for celebration??? Ah well.... Nobody's sane.

I'm not even American, and this offended me to a level I can't even begin to express. If you knew *anything* about American - or hell, even European - history, you would know why the people of the United States have reason to celebrate. It was by no means a matter of "colonist one day, rebel the next".

No way! Seriously?

Indeed. The words of Francis Scott Key's poem were put to the Anacreontic Song, used in Great Britain for a social club of musicians. It became used across the Empire as a sobriety test - as you may know, the American national anthem is notoriously difficult to sing, as it stretches across nearly two octaves. If you could sing a whole stanza, you were sober enough for another round.

Just a little bit of history for y'all. :)

I'm not even American, and this offended me to a level I can't even begin to express. If you knew *anything* about American - or hell, even European - history, you would know why the people of the United States have reason to celebrate. It was by no means a matter of "colonist one day, rebel the next".

Gee that's odd... Because I am american! ROTFL! :D

You have been caught tk... :xp:

You do know the tune of your national anthem is an old British drinking song, right?

No, I didn't....

EDIT:

Gee that's odd... Because I am american! ROTFL!

:dozey:

yup

Indeed. The words of Francis Scott Key's poem were put to the Anacreontic Song, used in Great Britain for a social club of musicians. It became used across the Empire as a sobriety test - as you may know, the American national anthem is notoriously difficult to sing, as it stretches across nearly two octaves. If you could sing a whole stanza, you were sober enough for another round.

Really? Ver interesting. Thanks for the knowledge! :D

Archived