Home

You Know What Grinds My Gears (Part 2)?

Aash Li

This is an interesting thread. I can't figure out if it's about boy-girl relationships, friends, jail, gender wars, or all of the above. :confused:

Regarding the gender generalizations, keep in mind that generalizations are generally not true.

Friends come and go, but family is always there. I learned to make a friend out of my sister, and now she's my best friend. You actually have a lot in common with your siblings, you know....

People tend to not explicit demonstrate their feelings - and I'm not talking solely about guys here - and the "other part" may not always get what the first person actually feels, if you understand me so far. If everyone was at least a little more honest with their feelings, then perhaps we would have less cases like that.

I think it's not so much that people aren't honest with their feelings (though I may have misunderstood what you mean with this phrase), but that too often people act on their feelings without thinking. "Feel, don't think," isn't really very good advice.

This is an interesting thread. I can't figure out if it's about boy-girl relationships, friends, jail, gender wars, or all of the above. :confused:

Its been about all the above.

Regarding the gender generalizations, keep in mind that generalizations are generally not true.

You know what I really hate when people say this; is about 2 seconds later they will make a generalization :xp:

I hate this statement, because if we didn't make generalizations our conversations would go nowhere quickly. All generalizations/stereotypes are true to a degree, but human beings are so complicated they will never totally fit everyone and you will always find someone bucking the trend. That does not stop the value of such statements; for example I assert that most people are idiots. (Clarification; when I say 'most' I mean more than 51%) - That is a generalization, but do you really consider it incorrect?

Here's another generalization; most serial killers are white men; is that incorrect... No, but it's not a universal rule.

Man I hate what the modern education system is doing to our young people, all this namby-pamby political correctness; and everyone is 'special'... Balls! [/rant]

Friends come and go, but family is always there. I learned to make a friend out of my sister, and now she's my best friend. You actually have a lot in common with your siblings, you know....

Oh look, shock horror! A generalization; I take that this is the exception to the rule of generalizations? :p

Everyone comes and goes; sorry to put a downer on this, but every relationship you ever have will end in one way or another.. You loose contact, they die, or you die. Some friends you will hang onto for quite a while though :)

I think it's not so much that people aren't honest with their feelings (though I may have misunderstood what you mean with this phrase), but that too often people act on their feelings without thinking. "Feel, don't think," isn't really very good advice.

We live in a consumer society; people consume other people - leaving many people feeling broken, and wanting to consume others to make them feel better.

My 2 cents...

I dont mind generalizations and stereotypes, I grew up on jokes that today would be considered racist (remember all those pollock jokes?). And yes, I did find them funny, know a few black jokes too... as well as some Irish jokes. Never heard any indian jokes; though Im sure I would find them funny if they were.

What I dont like is labeling. I might call myself a libertarian, or some other title, but thats about as far as I go usually. People are usually too complex to pidgeon-hole them with just one label. A girl might be straight, or she might be straight but sometimes she gets the urge for chasing other girls, she might like bondage sometimes, and other times be put off by it. Might sound like a liberal on some subjects, a green-weenie on others, and sound like a fundie on others...

You cant label a person with just one thing because youll be confused when they refuse to stick to that narrow little archetype.

I dont mind generalizations and stereotypes, I grew up on jokes that today would be considered racist (remember all those pollock jokes?). And yes, I did find them funny, know a few black jokes too... as well as some Irish jokes. Never heard any indian jokes; though Im sure I would find them funny if they were.

If a jokes funny, personally I have no problem with it.

What I dont like is labeling. I might call myself a libertarian, or some other title, but thats about as far as I go usually. People are usually too complex to pidgeon-hole them with just one label. A girl might be straight, or she might be straight but sometimes she gets the urge for chasing other girls, she might like bondage sometimes, and other times be put off by it. Might sound like a liberal on some subjects, a green-weenie on others, and sound like a fundie on others...

You cant label a person with just one thing because youll be confused when they refuse to stick to that narrow little archetype.

I think this complexity, is what is labelled as being a 'woman'. ;)

Well yeah, girls are like that, but guys arent as simple as people claim they are. Sure some are, just like some girls are simple and easily labeled. People are weird like that. heh

Indeedy, I know some very simple girls, and some very complex guys - generalizations are useful to a point. Personally being a boy though; I know a lot more interesting to talk to girls, than I do guys. Most guys seem to only think about sport, cars and girls. - And while I like all those things, I think there is a lot more to life, and adolescent talk isn't my thing.

Indeedy, I know some very simple girls, and some very complex guys - generalizations are useful to a point. Personally being a boy though; I know a lot more interesting to talk to girls, than I do guys. Most guys seem to only think about sport, cars and girls. - And while I like all those things, I think there is a lot more to life, and adolescent talk isn't my thing.

Exactly, Id rather talk to girls anyday... sure they we sometimes about periods and babies and guys, but even that is more interesting than sports, and cars. And while I like talking about girls, I could care less how great your sex was...

Please keep things PG-13, folks. Thanks.

~9

Sorry! ^.^;;

Most of my best mates are girls; I normally remark to them that 95% if guys are a***holes and the other 5% are gay.

*High fives J7*:D

Aash: Too bad, but what did you expect, and would it make a difference? I know that if I like a girl enough, I'll do what I can to make her feel the same way, boyfriend or no.

I still favor my own piece of advice. Sure, people must think before acting, but not too much, or they'll inevitably lose an opportunity. Sometimes, acting is the best way to go.

The same goes to not being honest with yourself and/or the partner. You may guess what him/her feel but that won't always prove true. As such, dialog is the answer to your prayers.

Was this thread by any chance inspired by Peter Griffin? 'Cause that's quite a guy to be inspired by! :D

Seriously though, if you're a guy and you give someone j7's generalisation, and someone asks you where you put yourself, would you rather be gay or an a**hole?

Archived