Home

The current look on the Lightsaber Combat, my thoughts.

How would it jack up the rating? If Vader can be shown burning to death and Dooku's head getting lopped off didn't jack up the rating for Episode III (PG-13), then why should it be any different for a video game?

No idea. Level of detail, perhaps? Not an movie adaptation, maybe? Post Manhunt 2 game, by chance?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How would it jack up the rating? If Vader can be shown burning to death and Dooku's head getting lopped off didn't jack up the rating for Episode III (PG-13), then why should it be any different for a video game?

cuz the ESRB is squeamish, i thought that was a well-known fact? XD

and who's pondo baba? lol

I'm not debating that lightsabers cut people in half! of course they do! i'm just saying it's not exactly necessary in a game, it's not like it adds anything to gameplay or anything. dont' get me wrong, i'd like dismemberment (like Ninja Gaiden II level's pretty good...could use a bit more from what i've seen), but in the end it's really nothing more than (generally pointless) graphical flair.

dont' get me wrong, i'd like dismemberment (like Ninja Gaiden II level's pretty good...could use a bit more from what i've seen), but in the end it's really nothing more than (generally pointless) graphical flair.

Oh, Ninja Gaiden 2 takes it to unwanted levels even for the most sadistic players you'd find playing Star Wars games. I mean, even if we take away all the currant juice the fallen, ripped-off ninjas leave after some beating, there would still be so numerous lungs on the floor that, combined with the memory-consuming Euphoria and DMM systems, it would lag as hell.

And, a leg here and an arm there isn't much to ask. Isn't a new Ryu Hayabusa, is it?

Oh, Ninja Gaiden 2 takes it to unwanted levels even for the most sadistic players you'd find playing Star Wars games. I mean, even if we take away all the currant juice the fallen, ripped-off ninjas leave after some beating, there would still be so numerous lungs on the floor that, combined with the memory-consuming Euphoria and DMM systems, it would lag as hell.

And, a leg here and an arm there isn't much to ask. Isn't a new Ryu Hayabusa, is it?

all i've played so far is the demo and i've only seen arms, legs, and heads go flying, lol

I really don't see the big deal about dismemberment... at all.

Really, if the game is fun, is the lack of dismemberment going to ruin it for you? If the game isn't, is it going to save it in your eyes?

Sure, it might be kinda cool, but I don't particularly care. I want to kick ass, but if the dead guys refuse to fall apart, so be it.

But at the same rate, yes, there is plenty of dismemberment in Star Wars, but is it really everywhere? In the beginning of RotJ Luke was fighting with a lightsaber, and I didn't see any body parts go flying. I don't think everybody has to be cut to bits for it to feel like a lightsaber.

After seeing the new trailer, it's cool to know that the apprentice will actually do some blocking and parrying in saber fights, or at least it definately looks like it, especially when he goes into that saberlock with Darth Vader (I mean, of course he can and will block and deflect things with his saber, but that backwards saber stance thing and the fact that we hadn't seen any saber to saber action yet made it seem kind of iffy).

So i was watching the 1st level that you get to play Starkiller as (Tie Fighter construction place) at E3 and the apprentice ran into the r2-d2 type droids and some Gonk droids and he slashed them with his saber and to my great suprise they were sliced in half where he sliced them at. just wondering that if they coded droids to be mutilated like that, and since Hayden Blackman intended the game to be more violent, that maybe the boys at Lucasart has a cheat code or something that will allow you to mutilate stormtroopers and such?

Honestly, if we want to have proper immersion, I should be able to cut a hole in every single wall and jump out of the building.

That's a logical fallacy, for several reasons.

1. Cutting through every single wall would ruin the point of there being walls.

2. You can't just cut through every freaking wall, because not every freaking wall is as thin as a door. If they were, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan would've been able to go in a straight line to the Trade Federation ship's bridge.

3. Saying that the only way to have proper immersion is freedom to destroy any barrier whatsoever is absurd because that's not even what I was talking about.

2. You can't just cut through every freaking wall, because not every freaking wall is as thin as a door. If they were, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan would've been able to go in a straight line to the Trade Federation ship's bridge.

3. Saying that the only way to have proper immersion is freedom to destroy any barrier whatsoever is absurd because that's not even what I was talking about.

Fair enough. But I still don't think mutilation is necessary for immersion.

not every wall, but your everday wall? you sure could. A starship or military installation is less likely since they're armored, but regular civilian buildings a Jedi would normally encounter are usually fully sliceable, hehe:lol:

not every wall, but your everday wall? you sure could. A starship or military installation is less likely since they're armored, but regular civilian buildings a Jedi would normally encounter are usually fully sliceable, hehe:lol:

We're getting into the realms of chemistry and physics here, but I don't think they would be 'fully sliceable'. The materials used in those buildings (indeed, the entire Star Wars universe) would have entirely different chemical structures compared to materials in our world.

And besides, if they're 'fully sliceable' how come there's very little in the way of examples in Star Wars? Answer: because it's easier to use a door. Just think how tiring it would be to drag a lightsaber through a wall to cut a shapel large enough for people to fit through. It might be able to cut anything, but that cutting wouldn't be instantaneous.

And only the outer hull and walls of military installations or starships would need to be armoured.

As for myself, I don't want my lightsaber to cut through 'anything', or at least an 'anything' that literally means that. I just want it to cut through things in a manner demonstrated through the films and the EU.

As for myself, I don't want my lightsaber to cut through 'anything', or at least an 'anything' that literally means that. I just want it to cut through things in a manner demonstrated through the films and the EU.

Imagine if you ran by a pole and accidentally sliced it down just by walking into it. That'd stop being cute after about two times. :D

We're getting into the realms of chemistry and physics here, but I don't think they would be 'fully sliceable'. The materials used in those buildings (indeed, the entire Star Wars universe) would have entirely different chemical structures compared to materials in our world.

And besides, if they're 'fully sliceable' how come there's very little in the way of examples in Star Wars? Answer: because it's easier to use a door. Just think how tiring it would be to drag a lightsaber through a wall to cut a shapel large enough for people to fit through. It might be able to cut anything, but that cutting wouldn't be instantaneous.

And only the outer hull and walls of military installations or starships would need to be armoured.

of course it's easier to use a door, but we're talking about possibility, not practicality.

There's no way that would happen unless you're specifically trying to, or happen to be in a fight nearby.

I was just flashing back to Jedi Outcast where your lightsaber could leave burn marks in the wall just by walking by and touching it. It'd be a lot funnier with dmm.

Archived