Home

The current look on the Lightsaber Combat, my thoughts.

I was just flashing back to Jedi Outcast where your lightsaber could leave burn marks in the wall just by walking by and touching it. It'd be a lot funnier with dmm.

A scene flashed into my mind from a Robot Chicken episode, when Qui-Gon drops his lightsaber and it falls right down to the planet....

Seriously, a lightsaber is not made for cutting through walls, and they cut through doors only when necesssery (although it's fun!).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A scene flashed into my mind from a Robot Chicken episode, when Qui-Gon drops his lightsaber and it falls right down to the planet....

Seriously, a lightsaber is not made for cutting through walls, and they cut through doors only when necesssery (although it's fun!).

50% of Force Unleashed play time is building new lightsabers.

Okay, nobody in this entire topic is talking about the lightsaber combat at all anymore, and instead everyone is pointlessly arguing about how sabers dismember, the mutilation of stormtroopers, the chemical properties of lightsabers in reality, and whether or not they should cut through buildings in real life (which they can't, because they aren't real).

Okay, nobody in this entire topic is talking about the lightsaber combat at all anymore, and instead everyone is pointlessly arguing about how sabers dismember, the mutilation of stormtroopers, the chemical properties of lightsabers in reality, and whether or not they should cut through buildings in real life (which they can't, because they aren't real).

That's because, whether you like it or not, that's an important part of using a lightsaber, and, by extension, lightsaber combat.

And, did you actually read the opening post? It actually asks for thoughts on lightsaber dismemberment.

I have no idea if this has been said or not but here is the E3 demo. It shows the Secret Apprentice (well not technically) cutting droids in half. There are a few other things as well. I think that as far as the lightsaber combat stuff, a lot of your questions will be answered in this video. Cool stuff, and I am just getting more and more excited every passing day. :D

(which they can't, because they aren't real)

So only "real" things deserve to have a flying rat's arse be given about them? I'm going to go meta here and say that sometimes I don't think reality is very realistic in the first place.

So only "real" things deserve to have a flying rat's arse be given about them? I'm going to go meta here and say that sometime I don't think reality is very realistic in the first place.

Not that I don't agree with you on this, but that oxymoron almost gave me a seizure.

It is ironic that he would say it doesn't matter because it isn't real.... when he's on a forum for discussing things that aren't real.

everyone take a look at (in my opinion) the worst game of the franchise:star wars Episode III revenge of the sith. the one level in the jedi hall of records were you commit genocide to librarians,jedi,and guards. now one of the type of guards in this level hold their lightsabers backwards their move selection contians moves that make holding their light saber backwards work i dont remember specifics but they had a redesigned fighting style that apparently worked so my point is dont you think that the creators TFU would have addapted to the charicters stance and made holding the lightsaber behind their back workable?

it seems obvious to me that you wouldnt get shot just standing OR maybe their is an automatic thing in the game where the charicter moves to block any fire directed twards him/her

i dont know. i dont have the game.

im just praying to god that theres a cheat or something that lets you "unleash" the force as it was intended by Hayden Blackman. i read a thing once that said in the initial tests of the game, a force push would literally dismember a stormtrooper or anybody that got in the way; and you could get eaten by a Rancor and force repel inside him and blow his stomach out. same thing for the lightsaber, since early reveiws of the game stated and hinted at a pretty fair amount of dismemberment. besides, there are Teen rated games that feature dismemberment, kinda just seems like a missed chance to me on the next gen consoles.

• 3 weeks later...

The lightsaber stance, he's kinda holding it behind him, so it looks like he doesn't even give a **** about blaster fire, maybe it is because he is The Apprentice so he can already see in advance whether blaster shots hit him or not, so that's why he isn't concerned at all.

Now, thoughts? :)

I think I read somewhere on the official site that Starkiller is not fully skilled with a lightsaber. His true power lies with his force abilities. Perhaps part of the lightsaber stance is to de-emphasize it's importance in comparison to the force powers in the game.

Judging by what is written in the novel, I'd rather say that Starkiller is a master of lightsaber combat.

The real reason is obviously because the devs realized how very cool it looks.

If you really want to imagine the character himself had a good reason for it, then it'd probably be because it is a combat style unlike that of any other force user.

That makes it a real pain to fight against for other truly skilled combatants, since they can't predict what'll come next as easily as they could with a more regular combat style.

Oh, did I mention it looks cool? ;D

As for decapacitation...I'd definitely appreciate it being in there (the novel even cared to describe how blood changed the helmet on a rolling head at one part), but it's not a big loss if it isn't.

If I'm dying to cut off limbs, Jedi Outcast/Academy is my release.

About the walls, they could always just say that every wall in the game is made of cortosis.

That's just extremely far-fetched, you can't just find Cortosis everywhere you go, it's a extremely rare material that was used to cover some anti-lightsaber melee weapons that made Lightsaber blades short out upon contact.

But even though a melee weapon was made out of Cortosis, if it was repeatedly striked with a Lightsaber, it was able to be cut.

Cortosis was indeed used to cover Shadowtrooper armor and Cortosis Battle Droids, but covering entire walls is just absurd.

Do you honestly need LS dismemberment? In the SW movies lightsabers cutting off limbs were the whole point of them; I mean the way you people talk about "the feeling" you'd think the whole 6 movies were dedicated to humanoids getting their arms/legs/heads/lower body cut off.

Do aesthetics really outweigh the gameplay? Whatever happened to playing the game regardless of how it looks like as long as it's fun and the story keeps you hooked? (This is the main part of the argument :p)

The lightsaber stance is so that he can better control the force when he uses it against other people apparently, and think about it it works, the area is free in front of Starkiller so he can better manipulate the force.

Archived