Home

Dragon Age

Pavlos

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An excellent preview has been posted at Kotaku giving their impressions from the Dragon Age demo shown at E3.

I am loving how much the game sounds like Baldur's Gate, but I hope the console version does not bring the PC version down. It's also too bad they have said "no multiplayer" which I wasn't aware of until now. At least they said they are using the extra time till the console version is released to improve the PC version.

• 1 month later...

I like it, and you clearly see that most of the things in there is from cutscenes so i don't understand all the whinne i have seen from multiple places that the game will just be about blood

And really, what do you expect from a trailer that is named "Violence" trailer? Not to be bloody?

• 1 month later...

BioWare have released the system requirements for PC version of Dragon Age: Origins. link

Windows XP Minimum Specifications

CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.4Ghz or greater

AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8Ghz or greater

RAM: 1GB or more

Video: ATI Radeon X850 128MB or greater

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater

DVD ROM (Physical copy)

20 GB HD space

Windows Vista Minimum Specifications

CPU: Intel Core 2 (or equivalent) running at 1.6Ghz or greater

AMD X2 (or equivalent) running at 2.2GHZ or greater

RAM: 1.5 GB or more

Video: ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater

DVD ROM (Physical copy)

20 GB HD space

Recommended Specifications

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent

RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)

Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater

NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater

DVD ROM (Physical copy)

20 GB HD space

Yep. Upgrading my PC is becoming a more pressing matter now that my CPU doesn't meet minimum specs for upcoming games.

Quad Core is becoming the norm for recommended specifications. Damn, technology is again one step ahead of me. But it's certainly playable on my PC, question is: will I buy it? Hmm. If E3 told me one thing, it's that I'm not very enthusiastic about the game anymore.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to give this game as a late birthday present to myself for the big 30! I'm even thinking of preordering it, which I hardly ever do with games. This looks absolutely PHENOMENAL, and I can't wait to give it a try.

(That's why I created a RP in the CEC based on Dragon Age and DDO!) :)

Odd; I am experiencing the most inexplicable feeling right now. I feel that... I'm totally uninterested in this game. Could it be the anthems of loud noise and Tolkein-esque art direction filling my mind every time I watch a trailer? Perhaps it is the gratuitous amounts of clunky virtual sex, or buckets of blood that go to and fro across the screen? Alas, I can take no solace from what lurks around me.

I agree with PastramiX. I'm looking forward to Alpha Protocol more then Dragon Age. That being said, I'm still going to play Dragon Age when it comes out. Who knows, I might even like the actual game. But judging from the trailers, it looks nothing more then a fantasy game mixed with blood and sex. Doesn't seem to have a engaging plot. But, I'll judge that when the game comes out.

Odd; I am experiencing the most inexplicable feeling right now. I feel that... I'm totally uninterested in this game. Could it be the anthems of loud noise and Tolkein-esque art direction filling my mind every time I watch a trailer? Perhaps it is the gratuitous amounts of clunky virtual sex, or buckets of blood that go to and fro across the screen? Alas, I can take no solace from what lurks around me.

Somebody linked me to a great forum post somewhere about how fantasy isn't fantasy anymore. Fantasy is supposed to amaze you and hold you in wonderment, you don't have that anymore. You just have a disposable world with elves and knights and whatnot, the same stuff you've seen over and over. Ultimately it's extremely overused.

And that's Dragon Age's problem. We've already had Baldur's Gate, Fable, Neverwinter Nights, who knows what else. There's been way too much High Fantasy in RPGs. Dragon Age is uninspiring because you don't have a reason to be excited in it. It won't be doing anything new, it's an RPG, just like any other RPG, it's set in a world of dwarves and elves, like all other Fantasy games. And nobody's really impressed by the whole 'characters-affect-story' charade.

Alpha Protocol on the other hand, is innovative. You have a spy game, that is an RPG. It's something really new, maybe no 100% originality, but it's something different for sure, something you'd be excited for.

Only thing I have going for Dragon Age is the cover art, really cool stuff there. Beats Alpha Protocol's cover any day of the week.

There's been way too much High Fantasy in RPGs.
DA is supposed to be low fantasy, or at least approaching it, according to Bioware. I think half the problem is the marketing BS put out by EA. Given that the game was in gestation long before Bioware was bought out, I'm hopeful EA's baleful influence won't extend too much to the game itself.

I love fantasy settings so I am not too burned out on them. And they have changed it up a bit by creating their own universe. I think it will be a great game, though I am with most of you in anticipating Alpha Protocol more. Also I am a huge Baldur's Gate guy so if this lives up to the title of spiritual successor then I will surely love it.

Also... you can "wind up face-to-face with a woman, a man, a transsexual, or an animal" according to the ESRB rating. o_O

DA is supposed to be low fantasy, or at least approaching it, according to Bioware. I think half the problem is the marketing BS put out by EA. Given that the game was in gestation long before Bioware was bought out, I'm hopeful EA's baleful influence won't extend too much to the game itself.

Definitely ain't Low Fantasy, and I've heard them say its Dark Fantasy, it pretty much looks that: lots of blood and sex.

Also... you can "wind up face-to-face with a woman, a man, a transsexual, or an animal" according to the ESRB rating. o_O

Heh, wasn't totally surprised on that one, tbh. In Arcanum, you get to pick between four prostitutes who have different fetishes/temperaments, or Dolly the Sheep.

she was nice:¬:

Somebody linked me to a great forum post somewhere about how fantasy isn't fantasy anymore. Fantasy is supposed to amaze you and hold you in wonderment, you don't have that anymore. You just have a disposable world with elves and knights and whatnot, the same stuff you've seen over and over. Ultimately it's extremely overused.

And that's Dragon Age's problem. We've already had Baldur's Gate, Fable, Neverwinter Nights, who knows what else. There's been way too much High Fantasy in RPGs. Dragon Age is uninspiring because you don't have a reason to be excited in it. It won't be doing anything new, it's an RPG, just like any other RPG, it's set in a world of dwarves and elves, like all other Fantasy games. And nobody's really impressed by the whole 'characters-affect-story' charade.

My thoughts, exactly. I feel that there's an abundance of untapped settings that aren't Medievalist in nature, but would still conform to the term of high fantasy. As of now, a LotR-esque world is extremely redundant and entirely unoriginal. The best thing for developers to do would be to completely break away from the Medievalist stereotype of high fantasy, and go into unexplored territory, that would still be very fitting of the fantasy title.

The period of the classical Maya, for example, would perfectly fit an open-ended world, complete with mythology & magic, long-gone ruins of ancient civilizations, and independent and competing city-states. The result would be radically different in setting from what anyone once knew of fantasy in RPGs, yet it would fill in all of the preexisting pillars laid out from previous titles.

If you can call the Witcher low fantasy then I see no reason why DA couldn't qualify. It has much the same bent from what I've seen of the background.

Dunno about the Witcher, but here's why DA doesn't qualify the basics:

Low Fantasy is a sub-genre of Fantasy fiction in which the setting is the real world with the addition of fantastic elements.

Low Fantasy is all about Real World with some different things. Here BioWare has created their own world from scratch. Its dark fantasy.

The period of the classical Maya, for example, would perfectly fit an open-ended world, complete with mythology & magic, long-gone ruins of ancient civilizations, and independent and competing city-states. The result would be radically different in setting from what anyone once knew of fantasy in RPGs, yet it would fill in all of the preexisting pillars laid out from previous titles.

Agreed, there's also Chinese, Japanese, Native American and Indian mythologies to explore. And of course, Darathy's favourite Egyptian civilisation could lend itself well to role-playing.

I don't personally consider the Witcher low fantasy, however you cited that Wikipedia entry as your definition of low fantasy and that does specifically call it out as such. By those standards therefore you must also include DA.

As far as real world settings go, the overwhelming majority of Western fantasy RPG settings are based partially or wholly on medieval Europe with magic, monsters and non-human races thrown in.

:eyeraise: Definitely not picking the "Surprise Me" option.

Like others in this thread, I'm generally not into the D&D fantasy stuff anymore. I haven't played any of the Baldur's Gate, NWN, or Elder Scrolls games. The only one I've played is The Witcher and I think that was because there weren't any other new RPG's for PC when that game came out. I freely admit that I enjoyed playing The Witcher though it didn't revive my interest in the D&D style fantasy games as a whole.

But I decided to take the opportunity to go to San Diego yesterday and check out Dragon Age: Origins. I'd never been to any type of gamer event like this before so I wasn't sure what to expect. But the BioWare folks lived up to their reputation as being approachable and answered the questions that they could. I couldn't get an answer on the BioWare Edition of DA:O :D. I liked a lot of what I saw. It definitely seems to be the game where you need to control your entire party during combat instead of just controlling your main character, especially during boss battles. I do plan on getting this game though I too think I'll probably start with Alpha Protocol.

Archived