Home

Dragon Age

Pavlos

The tactics system is pretty useless to be honest. Doesn't matter how you have it set up, you really have to micromanage everything regardless.
and that's exactly what i don't like to do with most games. its fun with a good number of strategy games, but this isn't what i would call a strategy game.

and its not that its an RPG, and i'm not used to it or whatever. i've played a number of RPG's in the past, and i've never had to deal with this much micromanaging during combat. it does, however, remind me how much i prefer games that don't rely on a dice roll to determine if you've actually hit somebody or not. :D

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you want an action RPG then. I've heard Torchlight is pretty good on that front. Or there's Mass Effect 2 next year.

As far as dice rolls go, well all games boil down to probability calculations eventually. Talk of dice rolls is a legacy of the pen and paper systems like D&D. Dragon Age doesn't have dice rolls as such. In fact, its mechanics are frustratingly obscured (for those of us who like to know exactly how things work under the hood).

Heh, too much like baldur's gate. There is too much probability (call it dice rolling or not). Come to think of, other than the fact that you don't have to worry about "saving your good spells" this seems not much different than Baldur's Gate.

If you want 'RPG' action with minimal dice rolling pick up Mount & Blade. Best combat system ever.

Btw, is dragon age hurting your sleep schedule? Mine is getting hammered. My body isn't made for average 4-5 hour sleep.

edit....

One more thing. If you really like Baldur's gate and you really liked NWN and you really liked KOTOR, then there is no conceivable way that you would regret getting this game. (Unless you regret killing too many hours on a game).

Heh, it has definitely hurt my sleep schedule. Fortunately, now that I've finished the game it is slowly returning to normal. I'm almost afraid to consider a second playthrough, but even if or when I decide to do it, it will definitely involve some cheating - I can't play a RPG fair and square more than once.

Sounds like you want an action RPG then. I've heard Torchlight is pretty good on that front. Or there's Mass Effect 2 next year.

As far as dice rolls go, well all games boil down to probability calculations eventually. Talk of dice rolls is a legacy of the pen and paper systems like D&D. Dragon Age doesn't have dice rolls as such. In fact, its mechanics are frustratingly obscured (for those of us who like to know exactly how things work under the hood).

see, that's just the thing. i didn't have this problem with either of the KotOR games or NWN2 (which obviously aren't action based) unless i cranked the difficulty up to Hard (particularly in NWN2 since that allowed the computer to score Critical Hits on your PC/party members).

i guess that part of it is that i haven't played very many RPG's like this in the past, but even then, i just haven't had to deal with this much micromanagement in an RPG before especially considering that i'm playing it on the 'Normal' difficulty setting.

and call it what you like, but it still feels like a dice roll when my PC misses every attack on an enemy that i've either knocked down or stunned. :eyeraise:

I am getting tired of Dragon Age crashing on me, it has made me force-quit 3-4 times now, and it's completely random. The game will just slow down to a crawl and eventually completely freeze. Other than that, I am still loving it, and I want to say I'm getting close to the end, though still have some side quests to finish up before I continue the main quest.

On a side note Torchlight is amazing and everyone here should buy it. It's $20 for digital download and is an action RPG like Diablo. Actually, it's very much like Diablo (made by the same people who made that and D2). Probably the game I'll be returning to once I'm finished with Dragon Age.

On a side note Torchlight is amazing and everyone here should buy it. It's $20 for digital download and is an action RPG like Diablo. Actually, it's very much like Diablo (made by the same people who made that and D2). Probably the game I'll be returning to once I'm finished with Dragon Age.
Yes yes, it is quite exceptional, which is surprising, given my distaste for others that use the same formulae. I've never really found the combat to get tiresome after some period of time, which is a feat on its own, since the whole game is essentially one multi-layered dungeon crawl. The pseudo-Western/steampunk-fantasy art direction also seems to add a deal of longevity to it, particularly the music. :)

The graphics are quite good and the engine is optimized and flexible enough to run a netbook and still look quite good. Not to mention, it uses the open-source OGRE3D engine, so it can be modded up the yazoo...

I am getting tired of Dragon Age crashing on me, it has made me force-quit 3-4 times now, and it's completely random. The game will just slow down to a crawl and eventually completely freeze.
Yeah there is a serious memory leak. They are aware of it, but who knows when it will get patched. At present, you have to quit and restart the game every 40-60 mins or so, depending on the number of area transitions you are doing.

I am getting tired of Dragon Age crashing on me, it has made me force-quit 3-4 times now, and it's completely random. The game will just slow down to a crawl and eventually completely freeze. Other than that, I am still loving it, and I want to say I'm getting close to the end, though still have some side quests to finish up before I continue the main quest.On a side note Torchlight is amazing and everyone here should buy it. It's $20 for digital download and is an action RPG like Diablo. Actually, it's very much like Diablo (made by the same people who made that and D2). Probably the game I'll be returning to once I'm finished with Dragon Age.

Do you have a 9400, 9500, or 9600 series Phenom?

No, I am actually playing on my laptop as that is my main gaming machine these days, so I have an Nvidia 8600gt. So I shouldn't be too surprised at the less than stellar performance but the crashed are terrible, and yeah I have noticed that the game gets way more choppy the longer I play.

I've noticed 3 or 4 bugs so far, and had one crash in Redcliffe right after the first zombie wave. Probably had a couple more crashes, but I can't remember. In any case, it isn't too serious.

One bug I remember distinctly was with Sten's nightmare, in the Fade. Right after killing the other two qunari, I talked to Sten instead of walking over to their corpses to trigger the next dialogue. Instead, the earlier dialogue played again, complete with resurrected qunari models. Things were back to before when the dialogue ended, though.

Just finished my first playthrough and went back to get

the endings for killing the archdemon yourself and Alistair killing it, and I kind of liked the one where you kill it yourself, despite the whole having to die thing. I'll have to **** Morrigan on my next playthrough so she can have her demonbaby or whatever and spare Alistair and I.

I am getting tired of Dragon Age crashing on me, it has made me force-quit 3-4 times now, and it's completely random. The game will just slow down to a crawl and eventually completely freeze. Other than that, I am still loving it, and I want to say I'm getting close to the end, though still have some side quests to finish up before I continue the main quest.

Had the same problem last night....just insane loading times...mine happened in Ozzemar, maybe your insane loading times/crashes happened there too?

Anyways, Alistair beheaded a dragon. A dragon. There was blood. Much blood. Makes the +/- scale tip into 'Awesome.'

Had the same problem last night....just insane loading times...mine happened in Ozzemar, maybe your insane loading times/crashes happened there too?

Yeah, Orzammar took forever to load for me as well - it might be because it's underground, so there's more to load, but I don't see how - it didn't take a long time to load during the origin story.

Yeah, Orzammar took forever to load for me as well - it might be because it's underground, so there's more to load, but I don't see how - it didn't take a long time to load during the origin story.

Yeah, I thought about that too. There's a pretty big draw distance underground there....but what class do you play? I'm planning to be a Dwarf on second playthrough...any tips?

Yeah, I thought about that too. There's a pretty big draw distance underground there....but what class do you play? I'm planning to be a Dwarf on second playthrough...any tips?

I've only played through the origin as a Noble warrior, but it was pretty good - the Dwarven Noble origin seems a little longer than some of the others, but I really enjoyed it. I#ll probably go and pick that up once i've finished the game as a human.

I'm a bit surprised that Bioware devoted such a large amount of time to Dwarves, and although they're a bit stereotypical, and it felt like a bit of a slog, I thought that Orzammar and beyond was a great quest.

well, i may not be a big fan of the combat system, but the game is getting good. i finally got to fight my first dragon, and while challenging, the end result of watching my character lop its head off was amazing. the game does have its moments, and it is more than enjoyable in most regards.

as far as the game goes, it does have some loooonnnnngggg load times, but i'm not having any other issues otherwise. no crashes or major instability issues for me.

my system:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

ATI Radeon 5850

4GB RAM

WD 640GB Caviar Black HD

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

I know for me, personally, there was a problem with dragon age and my phenom. After browsing the bioware forums for a time, someone came out with an outside fix that stopped the freezing and drastically reduced the load times to mostly <30 seconds.

Ahahaha, I just had my hero "visit" Morrigan in her tent. She was in her undies, but the hero was in full juggernaut armor. It was pretty funny.

I haven't had any slow downs or choppyness. Once in a while, I'll get a long load time, but I think that's because the game is trying to load and then autosave at the same time or something.

My system:

Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz

GeForce 8800 GTX

2GB RAM

XP Pro

Edit: I just had my first crash. I alt-tabbed and did some stuff. When I alt-tabbed back, it crashed. Never happened before.

Archived