Home

Dragon Age

Pavlos

I'm sure you could buy a lot of old games for the same price as new DLC. That's really an irrelevant argument. The point is whether or not the concept of DLC in the first place is justifiable. I think most people would agree that additional content for a game after it launches is welcome. The question is whether or not it should be lumped together in one big expansion 12 months after launch or broken up into a series of DLC packages (although DLC isn't entirely mutually exclusive with expansion packs, at least in theory). The perceived worth versus the charged cost of an individual piece of content is another debate entirely.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weren't they doing something that would reward people who actually bought the game and discourage piracy?
I think they are giving away the extra party member Shale DLC for free when you sign up to the new community website they are making for the game. I don't think it was ever intended as an anti-piracy measure as such, more just a carrot to help build a community.

EDIT: Ah, here we go -

"Shale was believed to be a companion who was cut from the game. However, it has since been revealed that Shale will be available to all players who download "The Stone Prisoner", a piece of Downloadable Content. "The Stone Prisoner" will be free for all players who purchase the game new, otherwise it will cost US$15."

From what I can see, looks like you get a code in the box to unlock it. Apparently you also get for free in all new versions of the game a code to unlock the Blood Dragon armour in both DA and ME2. I guess you could think of it as a possible anti-piracy measure, but sounds to me more like an anti-used game measure. I recall EA was getting a bit hot under the collar about that last year.

I think the community incentive free download I referred to above is some sort of item - a bracelet or some such. Similar to one of the pre-order bonus items.

Yeah, it's also to discourage used game sales. I am fine with that one as I can't stand piracy but paid day 1 DLC is just a slap in the face. If they had waited a while after it had been released I'd be perfectly fine with it, a great example of DLC I can support is Fallout 3, their extra levels gave that game a ton more life.

Yeah, it's also to discourage used game sales. I am fine with that one as I can't stand piracy but paid day 1 DLC is just a slap in the face.

Exactly. It reeks of "hey, we'll give you a half finished game for a full premium price, and then charge you an arm and a leg to finish it with DLC, cause that's the way EA works".

Thanks for selling out, Bioware.

I imagine it has more to do with EA strong-arming Bioware instead of them 'selling out'.

I don't like it either, but instead of getting worked up about it, i'll just vote with my wallet.

^ That's the way to go, there's way too many gimmicks going on with Dragon Age, the bonus character, the dragon armor, the dlc. Someone on here mentioned earlier I think, but this stuff will all be packaged together in a GOTY edition for cheaper later on.

Exactly. It reeks of "hey, we'll give you a half finished game for a full premium price, and then charge you an arm and a leg to finish it with DLC, cause that's the way EA works".

I still believe the game will be finished as I am guessing these extra levels will be outside of the main story (I hope), but I still don't like it.

Lol. Nobody is forcing you to buy DLC so what does it matter? Especially given that there's nothing in any of the announced DLC that is critical content missing from the game. You could maybe argue something about Shale given that he's an extra party member, but that was cut content that wouldn't have been in the PC release if they had stuck to the original March-ish release date that they resurrected and are giving away free. The Dragon Armour is pretty useless, but again it's free so there's nothing to complain about. Speaking of the original release date, that's the thing you really have to remember. None of this stuff would have been "day 1 DLC" for the PC version if it had come out when originally intended. It would have been 6-8 months after release. The only reason it's coming out on day 1 now is that EA made them hold back the release. Does it suck that they held it up? Absolutely. It has no bearing on DLC though.

I'm pretty sure if Obsidian did exactly the same thing for AP you'd be lapping it up.

Hey I don't have any promotional crap in my avatar. Seems to me there's a heavy vibe of Obsidian can do no wrong and Bioware are hacks on this forum. I'm no fanboy of either company. Both have done stuff I like and both have dropped the ball on a number of things.

As I said, I'm no great fan of the DLC concept. I'd much prefer they spent their efforts on a full expansion or, better yet, a new game. I like my content in big meaty chunks, not bite-sized morsels. That being said, I don't see why people are getting overwrought with the DA DLC. Half of it is free and as for the rest, well don't like it, don't buy it - simple as that.

Saw an interesting comment in an interview with Greg Zeschuk that he was giving about ME2 that pertains to the DLC debate:

[...] it is interesting dealing with Microsoft and DLC, because the DLC has to be self-contained. You can still do a story, like over three chapters or something, but you would need to build it in a way that you are able to play the second one independently and not have to purchase the first one

That's an interesting point, and potentially explains one reason why DLC is generally so lame. I would assume Sony has it own rules pertaining to DLC as well. Seeing as DLC has to be standardised across all platforms (lest one group complain they are missing out) and meet all platform restrictions, it's no wonder it is mostly throw-away filler.

Sometimes I wonder, how much Microsoft and it's 360 rules and regulations and proposals, is the monster behind the DLC's. I imagine they get a cut for 360 DLC sales?

In the end, it seems to always come back to Microsoft. Man, sometimes I wonder how much better games would be if they weren't also on the 360. But money talks, so it is only wishful thinking.

Sometimes I wonder, how much Microsoft and it's 360 rules and regulations and proposals, is the monster behind the DLC's. I imagine they get a cut for 360 DLC sales?

Of course they do, seeing as you need to purchase Microsoft Points to pay for any content bought from the Xbox Marketplace.

In the end, it seems to always come back to Microsoft. Man, sometimes I wonder how much better games would be if they weren't also on the 360. But money talks, so it is only wishful thinking.

Not being on the 360 doesn't automatically guarantee a better quality game.

Not being on the 360 doesn't automatically

guarantee a better quality game.

Well, in a sense, the 360 helps with game quality because extra guaranteed revenue for those who invested money in a game means they can invest more money into development. Promise of more money out, means more money can be put into it. So, in that sense, yes 360 can be a blessing.

But at the same time, a lot of good things that would be done for PC games are taken out because the game has to fit into the 360. When it goes to the 360, M$ spreads their taint. The game becomes more of a money making scheme than it was before. PC games become consolized. Depth can be covered by glitter. Etc...

I know I'm talking in generalities and I'm not a M$ hater. (I chose their stuff, asp.net over php, even though asp.net is just part of their scheme to use their operating system). But still, they are sinister.

Though, undeniably, Microsoft is always a schemer, that was a little too far carried away. Yes, I still buy Microsoft stuff. Enough of that...

so.... I saw a video of actual gameplay. Definitely looks like a typical Bioware game. Unless this game is super buggy, I can't see how this game would lose. I'm sure we'll be seeing some game of the year awards.

Yeah the marketing campaign for this game is downright awful. I think it just comes down to EA doesn't know how to market for an old school RPG like this as there haven't been very many like it at all released in recent years.

I think it just comes down to EA doesn't know how to market for an old school RPG like this as there haven't been very many like it at all released in recent years.

Which is probably why they are marketing it in a different way, to show people that this isn't yet another boring DnD geekfest, but a bloody, mature game for bloody, mature adults.

Besides, some marketing = good marketing. Sega on the other hand... >.>

Archived