Home

BGamer interviews Chris Avellone

Pavlos

Source The prestigious RPG Codex magazine

A Post Nuclear Blog has just posted an interview that Chris Avellone gave to the Portuguese magazine BGamer. Take a look for yourself.

"Also, one aspect to a good story (in games), is that the game needs to end and achieve some sort of resolution. Obviously, single-player RPGs hold the monopoly in this, but this is something I think MMOs have the potential to solve depending on how they structure their quest and story mechanics."

Yes... very important. The emphasis he places on resolution really shines through in KotOR II, doesn't it?

Anyway, it's a good read.

Don't be so bitter Pavlos:xp:

If you could go back in time and change anything in one of your games, what would it be?

I’d probably drop a planet out of Knights of the Old Republic 2 to make the game shorter and more polished. In Fallout 2, I’d probably have dropped one of the crime families in New Reno for the same reason - the raider cave in Fallout 2 didn’t get as much love as New Reno did just because New Reno was so big.

But drop one of the crime familys, that i can't agree on would be a good idea. Think all do there part to the story of Reno.

What is your most memorable gaming moment?

Within games I’ve created, I’ve been especially happy with the pregnant alley in Torment

Bah, that is one of the worse part in Planescape IMO

When will Avellone say something new about TSL? He really is like a stuck record...
Meh, probably when someone asks him something new about TSL. I can't fault him for consistency when every...single...interviewer...asks the same handful of questions.

But that's just me :D

When will Avellone say something new about TSL? He really is like a stuck record...

***Enters The Devil's Advocate***

Maybe Obsidian wants to move forward. Since "The Sith Lords" wasn't as polished as he wanted it to be, maybe they just want to move onto other things. When you have a controversial game on the records, I'm sure you would want to move forward. Plus, "Knights of the Old Republic II" is only a small speck on their company history. As they release each new game, the memory of "KotOR II" will fade.

Also, one aspect to a good story (in games), is that the game needs to end and achieve some sort of resolution.

When it comes to Obsidian, I don't know what that line means. I'm afraid to adventure a guess of what they consider to be an ending. Maybe I'm wrong in my original assessment. Maybe "KotOR II" will have a long term affect on how some people judge Obsidian's games.

Meh, probably when someone asks him something new about TSL. I can't fault him for consistency when every...single...interviewer...asks the same handful of questions.

But that's just me :D

No its not just you. We should think of something new to ask him, if we ever get a chance to talk to him again.

Maybe Obsidian wants to move forward. Since "The Sith Lords" wasn't as polished as he wanted it to be, maybe they just want to move onto other things. When you have a controversial game on the records, I'm sure you would want to move forward. Plus, "Knights of the Old Republic II" is only a small speck on their company history. As they release each new game, the memory of "KotOR II" will fade.

When it comes to Obsidian, I don't know what that line means. I'm afraid to adventure a guess of what they consider to be an ending. Maybe I'm wrong in my original assessment. Maybe "KotOR II" will have a long term affect on how some people judge Obsidian's games.

your new font sucks

No its not just you. We should think of something new to ask him, if we ever get a chance to talk to him again.

Have a free sample:

"You’ve mentioned recently that you’d rather show something than have the player read it. People have kicked up a fuss about this in certain quarters of the internet but surely this is just an extension of what you’ve been doing already? Torment’s Mortuary is littered with imagery to hammer home the theme of circularity, Kreia is literally blind, and Kaelyn the Dove sees in black and white."

Any better? :xp:

Edit: And simply to join in with the smiling :).

Maybe Obsidian wants to move forward. Since "The Sith Lords" wasn't as polished as he wanted it to be, maybe they just want to move onto other things.

ExcessivespeculationFAIL.jpg

When you have a controversial game on the records, I'm sure you would want to move forward.

More 'controversial' than, say, Planescape?

Plus, "Knights of the Old Republic II" is only a small speck on their company history. As they release each new game, the memory of "KotOR II" will fade.

Doubt it. It was their first as Obsidian - that alone makes it significant.

:)

Archived