Home

Bush signs spy bill and draws lawsuit

JediAthos

I really have no idea how to do it then, but, at this rate, things like this must be done somehow.

Looking on the CNN website, I find quite a bit more stuff happens besides what I see in the 1-2 hours I devote to watching CNN every day... Wow... A lot of it... Not suprising at all... But very disappointing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we've complained enough about other people not paying attention, and only hearing what they want to hear. The question is- How do you get the majority of Americans to pay attention and seriously and critically think about what they're voting for?
I had a couple of interesting experiences during the primary season, the most eye-opening of which I'll share, however you may or may not find it as fascinating as I did.

I headed up to a local restaurant to enjoy some diner while watching one of the debates (no access to television at home so...). I asked the bartender to change one of the tv's to CNN and settled in. Not only did the people sitting on the same side of the bar stop watching their games and start paying attention to the debate, but some of the people that were sitting at the row of tables behind me moved to the bar also so that they could hear what was being said.

I was actually a little shocked by this and have thought about it a lot since then. I don't know if I've come to anything that I would feel comfortable calling a conclusion, but my hypothesis is that more people would care if someone would just put it on their radar. For whatever that's worth.

Ah.. that makes sense... It's that whole: 'Because those guys are watching it, it must be interesting, so I'll watch it too' kind of thing...

That might just work... If a lot of people start watching news channels more often, and others see them watching those channels, perhaps they'll check it out for themselves...

That might just work... If a lot of people start watching news channels more often, and others see them watching those channels, perhaps they'll check it out for themselves...
I think that if that's the way we decide to take it, then we absolutely must work toward creating a better media like Qliveur suggested earlier because the infotainment we call "journalism" now isn't going to be good enough to get us there.

Unfortunately, I personally think that a continued reliance on one-way relationships (your tv, newspaper, radio, books, etc can't hear you when you disagree with what comes out of them) isn't the answer though. Burn your tv in your yard. Subscribe to a political blog. Annoy your friends with this stuff until they become interested themselves. As Litofsky says, "Be the change you want to see in the world" :)

I definitly don't want to lose my TV (my precious! lol.)

There's a quote somewhere... Something about people who listen all their lives but never do anything. I don't want to be one of those people. You can learn much from listening, but actions can oftentimes speak louder than words.

I wonder- do people always listen, but never do anything? Or do they always say something, and others never listen?

But I guess I'm not in a situation to change it right now. I'm just another citizen, trying to stay well informed. Hopefully I'll be able to change something... someday...*

Bad Litofsky, you are (almost) always in a position to help change what you think need changing. Be the change etc:D

"How does one achieve this?"

By providing news yourself, be the change:D

I wonder- do people always listen, but never do anything? Or do they always say something, and others never listen?

Tell me, how much have you done to change things for the better?

And if you want a diferent news source, try http://www.economist.com

I admit that I'm always left wondering exactly how I could change things. Wondering what the best way to devote resources would be. I certianly don't like it when someone is playing the game of guilt with me about donating money to something though. I doubt anyone does. Is it wrong for me to blame the world for its problems, when I have not done anything to interfere with the current order of things? I don't really know, when I really think about it. I kind of hate to admit that kind of thing, but I guess it is true... Am I a selfish human being, or am I just under pressure of circumstances? Well, I did kind of preech about how many people listen but don't do anything. It's not like I'm any better. It's a wierd feeling. I don't really feel 'selfish', per se, but I want to feel guilty for not doing anything, yet I can't feel guilty about all of this, which is a really bad feeling. Odd...

edit: The link doesn't work for me

I admit that I'm always left wondering exactly how I could change things. Wondering what the best way to devote resources would be.

Then pherhaps you should give yourself a deadline, and use some of the vacation to figure out what kind of improving you want to support, then find out which of the groups working on "your" improving you want to devote your rescources to.

Am I a selfish human being, or am I just under pressure of circumstances?

I'd say you are as selfish as the average Joe, do you feel proving me wrong?:D

Well, I did kind of preech about how many people listen but don't do anything. It's not like I'm any better.

Theres the answer to your question.

It's a wierd feeling. I don't really feel 'selfish', per se, but I want to feel guilty for not doing anything, yet I can't feel guilty about all of this, which is a really bad feeling.

Screw guilt, don't be a "guilt slave", If you can't find another reason to do something, you can feel bad with my blessing:)

The link doesn't work for me

Now it does:D

Unfortunately, I personally think that a continued reliance on one-way relationships (your tv, newspaper, radio, books, etc can't hear you when you disagree with what comes out of them) isn't the answer though. Burn your tv in your yard. Subscribe to a political blog. Annoy your friends with this stuff until they become interested themselves. As Litofsky says, "Be the change you want to see in the world" :)

1) I constantly ask my friends about politics. Most can't name ten Presidents (I think that naming five, or even ten! out of forty-three men would be easy enough. Apparently not...). Besides that, I ask them about other things (one such question I asked at school was, "Who do you support, and why? Most answers were "[from my conservative friends] McCain because he's pro-life," and "[from my liberal friends] Obama because he's [anti-war] or [pro-choice]")

2) "Be the change you want to see in the world" is a Gandhi quote. I'd say that he's one of the top ten people that changed the world in both this century, but in the millennium. Now, I think I want to make it my signature. :p

I'd say that [Gandhi]'s one of the top ten people that changed the world in both this century, but in the millennium.
You mean the last century and the last millenium. :p The History channel puts him at #17.(link)

... resume thread ...

You mean the last century and the last millenium. :p The History channel puts him at #17.(link)

... resume thread ...

Yes, I meant the previous century and millennium . Thanks for the link.

As for the topic, does anyone else have anything to say as as to their opinions on the matter? Basically, (a majority of) Congress and the President voted more power to the Executive Office in the form wire-taps. Or do I have that wrong?

Archived