Home

LucasArts registers Star Wars The Old Republic as a trademark

Char Ell

According to a listing on the United States Patent and Trademark Office's website on July 3 Lucasfilm registered a new trademark, Star Wars The Old Republic. The trademark for goods and services is described as both "interactive entertainment software" and "entertainment services provided on-line by means of global and local area networks."

Also registered on July 3, Star Wars Sagas and Star Wars Legacy.

So it would seem LucasArts has another Star Wars MMORPG in the works and are giving us a few guesses as to what it might be without fully revealing their hand. Oh but they have some sly Sith at the Presidio! ;) Curiously enough, I did notice that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was not listed as a trademark on the PTO website, nor anything like it. Hmmm... I wonder if George Lucas would be OK if I took that one over. :p

via EU Cantina and Star Wars Universe

swtor.thumb.jpg.c810cc3434477c133f04dba0325a2e5c.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK well to me this pretty much confirms the LA / Bioware project is KotOR MMO, or LA is working on it by themselves or have another developer working on it. Either way its definitely being made, they used the same term "interactive entertainment software" as well as saying online services. I suppose with the other 2 trademarks its not necissarily KotOR but that is most likely I think.

According to a listing on the United States Patent and Trademark Office's website on July 3 Lucasfilm registered a new trademark, Star Wars The Old Republic. The trademark for goods and services is described as both "interactive entertainment software" and "entertainment services provided on-line by means of global and local area networks."

Hmmm. Interesting indeed...thanks for the info Char Ell. :)

OK well to me this pretty much confirms the LA / Bioware project is KotOR MMO, or LA is working on it by themselves or have another developer working on it. Either way its definitely being made, they used the same term "interactive entertainment software" as well as saying online services. I suppose with the other 2 trademarks its not necissarily KotOR but that is most likely I think.

Sadly, if you know how to put two and two togather, you know what is going on. "Interactive entertainment software" and "entertainment services provided on-line by means of global and local area networks" just screams MMO to me. :(

Please God, NOOOOO! :(

Agreed. I wish that it wasn't true, but with this I think that it will be an MMO. I hate to say that too. Looks like I will never play KotOR III....:(

I'm beginning to despise LucasArts, LucasFilm, hell -LucasAnything (well, except LF :xp: ). They seem to take sadistic pleasure in meticulously building a fanbase only to crush it's hopes later on. :swear:

Just so long as people don't start blaming George Lucas... he owns the company, sure... but I doubt he actually runs it. And besides, the guy's been blamed for far too much already.

But this does sadden me. You'd think the head honchos at LA would realise you cant sequel a single player game with an MMO, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ewoks and Jar Jar will never be forgiven!!!!!
QFE!

Nor will those agonizing, god-awful love scenes between Anakin and Padme!!!!!

And the ruining of the Star Wars saga!!!!!

And the @#*%ing NJO!!!!!

:xp:

Let's not jump out the window just yet people, lol

Surely you know I was kidding.

Well, sort of.

Okay, you got me; I wasn't kidding at all. :crybaby:

OT: I think that fans deserve at least some sort of resolution to the Revan story arc. Is that too much to ask?

OT: I think that fans deserve some sort of resolution to the Revan story arc at least.

Agreed. Although I kind of despise Revan due to the image he has now taken on, it would be nice to see what happens in the end.

Ehr...to be honest, I don't think they'll make the same mistake twice.

after Kotor 2: Jeid order is almost extinct. Every fanboy running around playing a Jedi would RUIN the feel and Old Republic era. And you know it: Galaxies showed us how NOT to do this. They had millions of Jedi running around in a time where Luke was supposed to be the only one. :confused:

Legacy: After the book series (40 aby), the Jedi order is strong. Luke, Leia and Han still live, so they could be faction leaders or quest NPC's a lá WoW. Also, the 'Millenium Falcon' novel preview predicts a new enemy. Atop of that, the next best legacy novel/comic is set in 130 aby. So the dev's got 90 'empty' years to fill with EVERY thing they want, a Jedi order (so there can actually be Jedi without ruining the feel). Unlike the Old Republic era, which is crammed full.

So, to be honest, I think there's still a chance to have a Knights of the Old Republic SPRPG, AND a new SW mmo. Simply because it would make sense.

Then again, releasing The Force Unleashed for PC would be logical too...bah..

Damn you, Char Ell, you ruined my diabolical plan to be the only person who had news posted on the first page. Now I have to start all over again! :xp:

Simply because Darathy wouldn't forgive me for not using this on LucasArts:

LIME-1.jpg

(Forgive me for jumping the gun... I just wanted to use the image >_<)

the rampant fanboyism he's attacted?

You betcha that's why I despise him. It's no secret that I'm averse to the fanboys and hero worship that seems to go on with these games. About the only SW game character worth worship is Kyle Katarn - at least he's been around a good decade.

If I have to go through another few years of 'Revan is da RoxXoRS' (or however that's spelled), I think I shall kill myself. :lol:

...Then again, releasing The Force Unleashed for PC would be logical too...bah..

I dunno, looking at the gameplay physics...even a mid end rig would struggle with that.. It would be too inaccessible, plus devs are becoming increasingly loathsome of the PC due to piracy.... *arrgh!*

As for those having a 'little whiny kid who didnt get their way' moment..I present to you a gift, these two droids. Both are hard working, and will serve you well ;)

Holmes-1.jpg

F*N = Flippin', of course(It is Victorian England after all) :D

anyone that PMs me saying Holmes never said 'Elementary, My Dear Watson' will be cast into a pit of molten fungus

mtfbwya

Archived