Home

LucasArts registers Star Wars The Old Republic as a trademark

Char Ell

i think the only two reasons no one wants a kotor MMO is that you cant mod it and theres going to be a bunch of people named revan3452 or exile35387 claiming they are the real revan or exile

and that would just suck

and people are always going to put HK47ISMAHROBOT

i view the 'enter your name feature' as an actual star wars name feature and not a false statement feature.

theres a chance they might make the mistake they made in kotor also, which is the robes and lightsabers

we ALL know and agree that the robes were unattractive and the lightsabers were like pipe

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think the only two reasons no one wants a kotor MMO is that you cant mod it and theres going to be a bunch of people named revan3452 or exile35387 claiming they are the real revan or exile

and that would just suck

Many MMOs have been great without modding...that's not a huge concern for me, LA, and many KotOR fans. It's mostly just the fact that it's MMO. For the naming thing they can just do what Galaxies did and not allow names of important people to be in player names. They also better make it so that you can't use numbers as well...

overall though, i would enjoy a star wars kotor MMO as long as they dont have kotor 1 robes or lead pipe for lightsaber hilts. and if its free after the first pay

which is unlikely

i really dont like MMO's because of the grind making it impossible for me to get past LVL 14/18

but im hungry so im going to make a breakfeast hot pocket

mmmmmm.......

I don't think we should assume it's a KotOR MMO. None of the registered trademarks use the word "knights" in them so that leads me to believe that whatever this turns out to be it won't be directly related to the SPRPG KotOR games we've played.

Might I recommend we use the acronym TOR instead of KotOR when referring to this as yet unannounced project? ;P

I don't think we should assume it's a KotOR MMO. None of the registered trademarks use the word "knights" in them so that leads me to believe that whatever this turns out to be it won't be directly related to the SPRPG KotOR games we've played.

Might I recommend we use the acronym TOR instead of KotOR when referring to this as yet unannounced project? ;P

You're right, it won't be a KotOR MMO. It will be a TOR MMO. In the patent it mentions things like "Entertainment services provided on-line by means of global and local area networks". I'm guessing that's a formality statement so that the patent owner can use any means of online that they want, but any kind of online multiplayer other than an MMO makes no sense, so it's probably a safe bet to assume it's an MMO...

MMOs bug me.. intensely. For one, there are the idiots who take away from the game expirience (the most common of these the people with the lame names and fonboys/girls), and then.. the GRIND. In KOTOR, I never really thought about it as much because of the storyline was more refined and not generalized like in MMOs.

All those odd names and scenarios made me laugh guys, good ones. :lol:

But you know what names annoy me even more than that? The people who use names like "Pimp Chick Magnet" and "CliffordTehBigRedDog". Just seems rediculous to me.

But you know what names annoy me even more than that? The people who use names like "Pimp Chick Magnet" and "CliffordTehBigRedDog". Just seems rediculous to me.

The technology to limit player names to a certain extent has been developed for some time. Whether or not game developers decide to implement it is still a question though.

You never it know if it is a KotOR II sequel and is a MMO it could be really good if they did it this way:

1. Free to play, you have to buy it. But no monthly/bi-monthly or any kind of paying subscription.

2. You play as a new Jedi training under Visas/Brianna/Atton/Mical/Atris. It is a little while after Revan and the exile died in KotOR III. TOR is KotOR IV!!!!

3. Player names are restricted to being str warsy.

4. Obsidian and bioware do it together.

5. Lucas stays away.

6. Finally, no KotOR in the title.

Many MMOs have been great without modding...that's not a huge concern for me, LA, and many KotOR fans. It's mostly just the fact that it's MMO. For the naming thing they can just do what Galaxies did and not allow names of important people to be in player names. They also better make it so that you can't use numbers as well...

Yes, because it's a multiplayer game the company usually continues to develop it (which is just dev modding).

I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Is that entirely too old school of me?? I'm not hip to how the kids respond to internet rumors these days...

Pretty much, yeah. No one would be caught dead waiting anymore :D

_EW_

I swore I would stay out of these types of topics because I would be flamed for really wanting the MMO, but now I have seen harder evidence of it, I will post and say YAY!

Ohh and for the gabillionth time, just because they make an MMO before K3 doesn't mean they won't make K3 :)

Flamers stay away, I have fire! :p

I swore I would stay out of these types of topics because I would be flamed for really wanting the MM--

Blasphemer! :xp:

Ohh and for the gabillionth time, just because they make an MMO before K3 doesn't mean they won't make K3 :)

I certainly hope so. At least we know that LA hasn't completely forgotten about the KotOR era.

I take it that you're not a fan of the whole "True Sith" cliffhanger.

Well, call me netural on that. It's pretty "McGuffiny" but it does drive the storyline of TSL alright, and it at least fleshed out Revan's character, so that there is a reason for people to be fanboyish towards him (not that they ever grasped for one, but still...) .

I am however slightly against resolving that cliffhanger though, because by revealing who the True Sith actually are, you destroy their mysteriousness and make them, well, not that 'scary'. Since good always trimpuh over evil in Star Wars, it is rather unlikely that the True Sith will actually succed in their goals (to be perfectly honest, we don't quite know what they are, other than take revenge on the Republic). And I do refer to the fact that the destruction of the True Sith would be genocidical, because if the True Sith is a seperate species, then the destruction of that species could easily be considered 'genocidial'.

If it has to be resolved, then resolve it in a singleplayer K3 with the same style of TSL, but I'd be fine if the LA people just came out and said, "Listen, we're abandoning the True Sith arc. Just assume Revan and Exile won."

Blasphemer! :xp:

Lol, hmm, can I say exaggerate?

My stick of fire is getting brighter! Lol

I certainly hope so. At least we know that LA hasn't completely forgotten about the KotOR era.

Well, it wouldn't be logical for them to do an MMO then not do a SPRPG afterwards, ohh no, I'm 90% sure that if they make an MMO they will make K3 (SPRPG)

Well, they should know that if they don't hire Bioware & OE to make a K3 SPRPG the Headlines the next day will be:

"George Lucas found impaled and bound to a cardboard cutout of Darth Revan"

by George Lopez

Crazed fans sign their names to 1000 napkins pasted over star wars creator's face. Evidence says this was done as a sign that the KotOR community will fight for the right for K3. The president of LucasArts has also been taken hostage to be held for a 'special' ransom.

George Lucas has his own army of crazed fanboys, though. The incident you describe would be a bloody, bloody, war.

Wow. Wow. I feel your pain. I feel it so much, and KotoR doesn't even work on my computer anymore. No excuses, MMOing KotoRIII would be unexcusably idiotic. However, I have enough faith to believe that even if they make an MMO, they are smart enough to make a single-player #III.

And I like JarJar too. Quick, alchys, to his defense!

Well, it wouldn't be logical for them to do an MMO then not do a SPRPG afterwards, ohh no, I'm 90% sure that if they make an MMO they will make K3 (SPRPG)

Well, it also wouldn't be logical to rush the sequel to the best game of the year or to not make a PC version of TFU. :giveup:

Archived