Home

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Darth Groovy

I saw Hellboy II: The Golden Army. I was very impressed. It surpassed the original and it was better than I had imagined. I love Guillermo Del Toro movies, and I am probably one of three people that prefer Blade II to all the other Blade movies because Del Toro has a definitive passion for comic book characters and knows how to breathe life into the characters themselves. Hellboy II: The Golden Army has a boat load of CGI and action, but what makes the movie really shine is the characters and the way the actors portray them. Ron Perlman, Doug Jones, and Selma Blair really make these characters hard to resist. Especially Ron Perlman, who took somehow found a character buried in prosthetics and make up, and made him seem more human than most humans. I challenge anyone to not find this movie entertaining as can be. Like X-2 X-Men United, and Spider-Man 2, this is a sequel that surpasses it's predecessor. And even if you have not seen the first Hellboy movie, you will not have trouble knowing what is going on. The first movie serves as the back story, while this current movie only pushes the envelope further. This is a fun, fun movie for anyone!

It is filled with humor, site gags, one liners, action and a great story. I will be disappointed if there is not another, and even more disappointed if the same line up is not in the next movie. Seriously, the team of the Bureau of the Paranormal Research And defense (BPRD) is not in the next film, then just leave it alone. Del Toro is a master at his craft and boy does it show!

I saw it last night as well, Grooves. The story was a little wonky and there were slightly too many comedic inlays but everything about the movie was just so much, well, fun that I found myself not caring and really enjoyed myself. A great summer flick and actually even better than the original. I can't wait to see what Del Toro does with The Hobbit.

I give it 142 bananas out of a possible 167 banana hammocks.

actually even better than the original.

Quite a bit better, in fact. I wasn't a big fan of the first Hellboy, but I though this movie was really quite good.

As for the characters, the real stars of Hellboy 2 are the creatures that Del Toro thought up. The troll market scenes, tooth fairies, badass forest god, the Irish stone gateway thing and the Golden Army itself were the best collection of weird critters onscreen since...well, probably Pan's Labyrinth. The elf-Prince kung fu battles rank up there with any lightsaber fights from any Star Wars movie, and I thought the moments of comic relief were genuinely funny, which is getting very rare in Hollywood movies. Abe and Hellboy getting drunk and singin Barry Manilow...priceless.

On the downside, I still can't stand Jeffery Tambor. His presence ruins any and all ability for me to take a movie seriously. And getting Seth MacFarlane to use his Klaus the talking fish from American Dad voice for the new team member Dr. Krauss also pulled me right out of the fantasy. His locker room battle with Hellboy was one of the humour highlights, however.

All in all, definitely worth seeing.

I liked the first Hellboy.

I never did read any of his comics and my first contact with it was with the movie.

I hope this second one is as good as the first one. :)

I'm in the same boat as this guy...well, with one minor difference: I read a few of the comics after I seen the movie. Probably end up seeing it next weekend.

I liked the first Hellboy.

I never did read any of his comics and my first contact with it was with the movie.

I hope this second one is as good as the first one. :)

This one is actually better. And the cool thing is, you don't really need to see the first one to know what is going on in the second one. They sort of re-tell Red's story at the beginning of The Golden Army.

Archived