Home

KOTOR MMO Ideas.

Nedak

In the event that a KOTOR MMO is made what would you like to see in the game as far as classes, factions, races, classes, planets, etc?

On a side note, for those who don't want to see KOTOR as an MMO (I personally wouldn't mind either) please TRY and remain open-minded and respectful to other people's beliefs on the subject. :)

Let's talk timeline first, can we? I'd find it most lovely to see such a game located at the Mandalorian Wars timeline. That way most players who hunger for more on the Wars can have their desires fulfilled and the game won't make much of a mess with the Kotor game timeline.

Cool, I had a feeling a thread like this would come along. I'll post the Jedi limiter idea Master Z and I had come up with in the K3 possibility thread. A Jedi limiter/cap limit should be a guaranteed feature, for obvious reasons.

Going slightly off of what Ctrl Alt Del has mentioned.

Ways to do it:

1. Allow only a percentage of the players on a server to be Jedi. As long as more people join the server, more people can be Jedi.

2. Make it really freaking hard to be a Jedi, since it is hard anyway.

3. Only once you reach a high level can you become a Jedi (meaning you play a different class to start).

I honestly believe that they should incorporate all 3 of those and roll it into one. Only the truly dedicated MMO-er should want to attempt this.

Obviously there are faults with all 3 ("fun" factor, difficulty, etc.), but those were what Master Z and I could come up with that seemed reasonable for a realistic Star Wars MMO experience.

Regarding the timeline thing, that one guy that took the survey regarding the game said the timeline would be 3500 years before Vader (about 450 after Revan), but that's obviously not set in stone, especially since we don't know any official features, or even the game itself.

I think setting it in the Jedi Civil War or in the open space after KOTOR II will be an easier option - everyone knows that Mandalorians don't have access to Force sensitives, which could create a bit of a player imbalance.

I don't think being a Jedi should be discouraged: it'd almost be like stopping people from playing the game. No, what is needed is classes that people really want to play. Add a greater Han Solo element to scoundrels, give a Jedi killer edge to assassin classes and hey, why not allow people to play as an assassin droid? Who wouldn't want to be HK-47's baby brother? A class, perhaps, that could feasibly have an obvious advantage over a Jedi or Sith.

As for factions: if it's set in the Jedi Civil War, then of course it'd have to be Republic or Sith Empire. If it's instead after the events of both KOTOR games, then it would again have to be Republic versus "the next big Sith threat".

The problem is that people want to be Jedi regardless of what other classes may be available, even if they are really cool, since people have this mentality that being a Jedi is the only uber cool class available. You can give bonuses and all that stuff to other classes against Jedi, but I don't think that would change anyone's mind much. Of course not everyone sees it that way, but you can probably guarantee that a good portion (if not the majority) of players would want to be Jedi if given the opportunity.

Also, considering the fact that the first KotOR (and the second is right after) is at the end of the Jedi Civil War, it's something we've already played, even if it's only a small portion. Galaxies was in the middle of IV and V...but it was something that hadn't been explored already (as much).

You made the point very well yourself; we've only played a very short portion: the last few months of the Jedi Civil War. Even then, the planets you got to visit in KotOR were Taris, Dantooine, Manaan, Kashyyyk, Korriban, Tatooine and Lehon aka. the Unknown World - all more or less backwater planets rather far away from the front lines. No Republic or Sith troops ever even made landfall on Tatooine, Kashyyyk or Lehon.

The three years of war prior to the events of the game have been almost entirely unexplored. This is the same amount of time the Galaxies makers had to play with between Episode IV and V. However, contrary to your statement that the time period hadn't been explored already quite so much, they had almost 30 years worth of Expanded Universe mythology, games and whatnot to fill in a lot of the gaps. I call that explored.

Also, if everyone wants to be a Jedi... you can either give it to them or not make an MMO at all. Stopping them from becoming a Jedi through convoluted controls would be like taking candy from a baby: mean, counterproductive but all too easy.

So how many Star Wars fans would you estimate can accurately retell events between IV and V without looking up the information? I'm sure it has been explored, but how many people will remember it over KotOR?

The storyline has largely to due with the kind of gameplay the devs want. Do they want it to be mainly Sith vs. Jedi? Sith vs. Republic? Should the Republic be on its knees? Or are they quite strong? From that point can they determine a good timeline for their game. I still argue however, that they should go to a time that hasn't been touched yet. I would rather play a storyline in which I have to experience and learn about new events for myself, than ultimately already know what the fate of the storyline is before I even buy the game.

That's slightly over exaggerated. A more appropriate way to go, would be to just make it trickier, not harder, it would require initiative and ingenuity to progress, which would also put a standard on maturity of the players.

I would rather play a storyline in which I have to experience and learn about new events for myself, than ultimately already know what the fate of the storyline is before I even buy the game.

That was my main complaint when seeing the new "Clone Wars" movie trailer: "but we know what happens to the main characters!" If this is the case for most people, Da Man, then I agree that it would be wise for the game developer to choose an era as yet untouched by any other material. There's certainly enough space for another war.

Cool, I had a feeling a thread like this would come along. I'll post the Jedi limiter idea Master Z and I had come up with in the K3 possibility thread. A Jedi limiter/cap limit should be a guaranteed feature, for obvious reasons.

Going slightly off of what Ctrl Alt Del has mentioned.

Ways to do it:

1. Allow only a percentage of the players on a server to be Jedi. As long as more people join the server, more people can be Jedi.

3. Only once you reach a high level can you become a Jedi (meaning you play a different class to start).

I honestly believe that they should incorporate all 3 of those and roll it into one. Only the truly dedicated MMO-er should want to attempt this.

Obviously there are faults with all 3 ("fun" factor, difficulty, etc.), but those were what Master Z and I could come up with that seemed reasonable for a realistic Star Wars MMO experience.

Regarding the timeline thing, that one guy that took the survey regarding the game said the timeline would be 3500 years before Vader (about 450 after Revan), but that's obviously not set in stone, especially since we don't know any official features, or even the game itself.

I disagree, all three of those options were tried in various stages of SWG and all three failed. The more you limit the accessibility of a class, the more people will want to play said class because of perceived rarity and/or superiority.

Why the do you think they chose to make the second SW MMO in the KOTOR setting? Jedi were commonplace during that time. So even if every kid and his uncle want to play a Jedi, the setting will not suffer.

The Best Time for an "Old Republic" MMO would be during the height of the Jedi Civil War.

Let's face it if they come out with an MMO and people could not be a Jedi or Sith word would get out and the Game would stop selling rather quickly.

This time frame would be the best from that stand point, since this is the time when there are the most Jedi and the most Sith, actively at war. Which basically means every one could be a Force user if they wanted to, they could always make some of the non-force users server based NPC inside the game.

I know its kinda far removed from KOTOR but the new sith wars would be awesome. Tons of jedi running around and a major galactic confrontation happening. Only problem is We already know how that turns out. (See http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ruusan_campaign) This war lasts one thousand years though. Another thing that would be cool is if it takes place after the events of KOTOR and before the new sith wars. There is plenty of time there to come up with a new concept and bioware is creative enough to do this.. I guess it all depends on what lucas approves though...

Archived