Home

A Quick question about FOA

Giant Graffiti

I was playing a demo the Fate of Atlantis, and found the voice acting horrible! Another thing I notice is there was no text, so I couldn't simply mute it. Anyway, I found it for a pretty good price and I was thinking about buying it but because of the voice acting I was having second thoughts. My question is, in the actual game is there text?

There is definitely an option for subtitles in the final game. You could play the game with both subtitles and voice acting, or just subtitles if you want.

Regarding the quality of the voice work, it's easily the worst of all the LEC Talkies, but keep in mind it was also the first. I think it's decent, but I definitely wouldn't play FOA without subtitles since it was so obviously dialog meant to be read and not heard. I think with every game after that they knew they were going to voice it from the beginning.

There is definitely an option for subtitles in the final game. You could play the game with both subtitles and voice acting, or just subtitles if you want.

Ah, OK. Thanks! :)

Regarding the quality of the voice work, it's easily the worst of all the LEC Talkies, but keep in mind it was also the first.

It was? I thought Loom was the first...

FOA voice acting horrible? I smell heresy in this thread.

Speaking of which, I didn't care for the voice acting in any of the games that have a "realistic" art style (Loom, FOA, and the Dig). Hehe... I just imagined Sam & Max with a realistic art style. :D

It was? I thought Loom was the first...

Technically speaking, the PC version of Loom was developed by Mindscape and not LucasArts. Also, unless I'm wrong, that version came out in 1992. Would that make it before or after the speech-enabled FOA? I'm honestly not sure.

Ooh, it's interesting that you find it horrible on your first play! I first played FoA (several times) on the Amiga where there was no speech, and upon revisiting it on the PC I found that the speech improved it immensely. You might expect that I would find the speech jarring and unfamiliar and decide it was horrible even if it wasn't, but that was definitely not the case.

Then again, I don't think the voice acting in any of the earlier LucasArts adventures is particularly great - but still much better than none at all.

Technically speaking, the PC version of Loom was developed by Mindscape and not LucasArts. Also, unless I'm wrong, that version came out in 1992.

It did come out in 1992, but I don't think Mindscape developed it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't only made by LucasArts, I think it was Realtime Something.

Ooh, it's interesting that you find it horrible on your first play! I first played FoA (several times) on the Amiga where there was no speech, and upon revisiting it on the PC I found that the speech improved it immensely. You might expect that I would find the speech jarring and unfamiliar and decide it was horrible even if it wasn't, but that was definitely not the case.

I used to own it back in the floppy disk days, but I (obviously) don't have it anymore. As I didn't imagine anyone sounding like they do, I did find the speech jarring and unfamiliar. :p But everyone has their own tastes.

Hey all, new to the forum.

I just played FOA all the way through for the second time (the first was probably ten years ago and without the voice-over) and while I really liked the voice of Indy, I couldn't play more than a few minutes before I felt the voice-over was distracting and turned it off. I think it is a product of dubbing them in after the game was created (the version i played years ago didn't have them so i'm assuming the voices were added later for the cd rom). I really loved the voices for games like gf and cmi, and maybe if foa was produced with talking in mind it would have been better.

Welcome to the forums, wannabe_pirate.

It's funny how some people don't like the voices, because I really liked them -- it didn't occur to me that someone might not have liked them until I saw this thread. Same for the CMI art style: though I had a friend who played Mi1 and 2, but not CMI because Guybrush was "too big" for him.

I think CMI is worth pushing on with though!

Thanks! For me it was just that the voices seemed out of place, not that they were poorly done. I think it would be like playing MI1/2 with voice-overs after playing it all this time without. That said, fate of atlantis is such a fantastic game that you probably can't go wrong either way

Yeah, Mi1/2 with voices wouldn't work at all I don't think. Can you imagine Mi2 Guybrush with Dominic Armato's voice? Armato did a fantastic job for CMI and EMI, but I can't imagine anyone fitting the way the character and dialogue works in Mi1 and 2. It's not just that I'm not used to it; it simply wasn't written to be heard.

• 2 weeks later...

Then again, I don't think the voice acting in any of the earlier LucasArts adventures is particularly great - but still much better than none at all.

Yes! I had a very similar experience. While I thought Indy sounded terrible (and not like Indy at all), I think the main problem was the dialogue wasn't so hot to begin with. The voice acting actually took a lot of the dryness away and, once you've gotten used to Doug Lee's voice (by accepting the fact that it isn't Harrison Ford), it helps the game along tremendously.

Of course every LA game (with the exception of the incredibly dry and boringly written Dig) had great voice acting after that (although the technology can ruin some of the the all-important timing in the jokes, too :().

I forgot about this topic. :lol:(I don't think it's a quick question anymore)

Man, you never played Curse? Unlike Escape, Curse actually sits around the same level of quality as its predecessors.

I recently bought it for a good price. While I still don't think its as good as the other games and I hate the art style, it seems to be OK. I also got FOA and was spared the voice-acting.

Of course every LA game (with the exception of the incredibly dry and boringly written Dig) had great voice acting after that (although the technology can ruin some of the the all-important timing in the jokes, too :().

*gasp*

I didn't think anybody could not like The Dig. It was an awesome game. It wasn't MI2, but great nonetheless.

I thought The Dig was pretty boring too. The atmosphere when you first step onto the alien world is great, but once the game becomes a long, lonely traipse around a barren landscape, it quickly loses its lustre.

• 1 month later...

I agree. The Amiga version of Fate of Atlantis was a very cold uninviting place. As bad as the voice acting was (and is), it brings a lot more life to the game that's otherwise very stoic... and if you can just forget the fact that Doug Lee doesn't really sound anything like Harrison Ford and just see it as a different take on the character, you'll enjoy it even more.

Still, if you prefer it with just music and subtitles you can do that in the final game.

Archived