Home

E3 '08=confirmations or not?

Darca Lar

There's no party in an MMO, that's my point. You create your own party by teaming up with human friends or random other players. You can't make a solid (or even decent or interesting) story with that.

Why not have recruitable NPCs in the world, like republic or sith soldiers, jedi apprentices, or mandalorian mercs you can hire? You could have a party made out of NPCs in a MMO if the developer would do it. Who knows what Bioware has in mind...

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not have recruitable NPCs in the world, like republic or sith soldiers, jedi apprentices, or mandalorian mercs you can hire? You could have a party made out of NPCs in a MMO if the developer would do it. Who knows what Bioware has in mind...

because that still has the same problem of impermanent variable NPCs, again, making an RPG story impossible.

If they gave you the usual party setup, then everyone in the game world would have the same NPCs following them around, which would kill any sense of immersion not killed by badly typed user messages and spam XD

I'm saying it because I didn't want this to happen. I'm mainly afraid that this will take the place of, or intend to be, KOTOR III. And that'll be crap because it'll alienate so many fans of the series who have been wanting to know just what happens after the previous game's cliffhanger ending but are not MMO fans.

That, and that I feel obligated to eat up anything from the KOTOR era, but am not an MMO fan; which will mean that I'll either buy the game and be horrible at it or not buy the game and cry myself to sleep every night because I was missing out on the stories from that time period.

I feel this way also. While i do enjoy MMOs, i love SPRPGs. I want to experience an actual conclusion to the revan/exile plot lines, and this becomes difficult within the constrains of an MMO. It might be exciting to see what Bioware does to continue the story. If anything

because that still has the same problem of impermanent variable NPCs, again, making an RPG story impossible.

If they gave you the usual party setup, then everyone in the game world would have the same NPCs following them around, which would kill any sense of immersion not killed by badly typed user messages and spam XD

Yeah it would be hard to have randomly generated generic party member NPCs drive a player centric story. but like i said in a previous post it will be exciting to see exactly what bioware is doing with this game.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of kotor fans suddenly cried out in terror and were ragged about a Kotor MMORPG

If they gonna do a Kotor MMORPG i still hope that we maybe will see K3 as a diffrent game. I mean the Old Republic era is pretty big, it don't have to be the Revan arc. I know it's probaly to much to hope for, but i can always wish can i ? :xp: And if it's Bioware that will do the MMORPG i really think they will make it work, i have to much faith in them to think they would want to screw up a story based game to something that is just grinding. Maybe this will even give birth to a new way of MMORPGs in gameplay.

And i have been anyi MMORPG for a long time, played some Galaxies when i was young and it was new but i picked up Age of Conan a month ago. And there you actualy have a singelplayer destiny questline that is really intressing, not near a true RPG way but it's still good.

I am with most of you, I think that turning to an MMORPG is the worst thing that could happen to the KotOR series, but I think it means that there's still hope for a KotOR 3. When it is released, popularity for the KotOR series will increase, and if there's money to be made, I don't see why LA couldn't come out with a new KotOR SPRPG. If you've got people that are playing the MMORPG, I wouldn't be suprised if they wouldn't by KotOR 3.

There's no party in an MMO, that's my point. You create your own party by teaming up with human friends or random other players. You can't make a solid (or even decent or interesting) story with that

They could inplant it like i think Guild Wars work. I haven't play Guild Wars but i of what i understandthe latest expansion you can have NPC partymembers. That world is like instances, the main citys and so on you can team up with real people, but outside in the "quest zones/areas" you are alone if you didn't team up in the city. And the latest expansion actuly gave you party member/s to that area. No idea how it worked, maybe someone that played Guild Wars could explain better ?

But i could also be completly wrong

So if the game would work anything like that you can still get a good story with NPCs following you around, maybe

They could inplant it like i think Guild Wars work. I haven't play Guild Wars but i of what i understandthe latest expansion you can have NPC partymembers. That world is like instances, the main citys and so on you can team up with real people, but outside in the "quest zones/areas" you are alone if you didn't team up in the city. And the latest expansion actuly gave you party member/s to that area. No idea how it worked, maybe someone that played Guild Wars could explain better ?

But i could also be completly wrong

So if the game would work anything like that you can still get a good story with NPCs following you around, maybe

true, but that game is doing it's own MMO-level story. Here we're talking about the possibility of an MMO continuing the story of an RPG, which even an attempt to do so will fail spectacularly...

We need a real KotOR III, I just hope this MMO doesn't murder the franchise in it's sleep...

Sadly, theres so much money to be made from MMO's these days, specially if you have paying fees, and every gaming company obviously wants and needs to make as much money as possible, so they can spend it in future projects. Its true and its gonna happen sooner or later and again I say I still have hope this is NOT KOTOR 3. Maybe they're just trying to get more fans to join in on the KOTOR ship, and in the future perhaps there will be a sequel, although I think this is not a good strategy, because if the game is good, then people will play it (heck, just look at KOTOR 2, the game is incomplete and SO many people play it, mod it, play it again, mod it some more, over and over again), and they could easily do that with a SPRPG since its what we all expected anyhow.

Given the nature of this finding, I thought I would visit the forums. After I stumbled upon the article myself, I knew someone else would pick up on it quickly.

Our article in question: EA's to Play in Knights of the Old Republic Article

Oky, I'm going to point out some interesting stuff:

#1 - This is a blog.

#2 - The writer of the blog is reporting about another individual's interview.

#3 - The blogger is very wordy in quoting.

#4 - Who the hell are protfolio.com and N. Evan Van Zelfden? What are their credentials?

N. Evan Van Zelfden in Los Angeles warns, watch out World of Warcraft. In an interview at E3 this week, Electronic Arts chief executive John Riccitiello said that EA is working on the next version of Star Wars game Knights of the Old Republic, and it will most certainly have a massively multiplayer online component to it.

Unless he talks about himself in the third perspective, the writer of the blog is telling you, “My friend told me he had an interview with a famous person…” Any type of article that uses the friend-of-a-friend line has to be taken with careful analysis. If I was the one to report this news, I would have taken this as a bad sign. Anything this guy says is not true.

"We've got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development," said Riccitiello. The first title, based on the Warhammer property, will launch soon. "And the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about -- in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare, which is, I think, quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry at the point when we get closer to telling you about it."

Does Riccitiello mean the oft rumored Knights of the Old Republic Online? "Yes," he said.

Originally, the writer starts off by quoting Riccitiello. When it comes to revealing the Lucas/BioWare game title, he stopped quoting the guy word for word. Instead of continuing with the actual quoted words, the blog writer just fills in the blanks without proof. That brings up suspicion. Not to mention that his quoted line is wordy. Whenever someone uses extensive words in a quote, they are usually making it up while writing.

"...when we get closer to telling you about it."

Does Riccitiello mean the oft rumored Knights of the Old Republic Online? "Yes," he said.

What!? After Riccitiello tells you he cannot say anything, the interviewer just fills in the blanks for everyone. Sorry people, this is not an actual announcement of anything. Until we hear something official from Lucas Arts or BioWare, I would just take the article as a grain of sand.

Since we are at the height of E3, someone just wanted to stir up some buzz. If EA, BioWare, or LucasArts were to make an announcement, they would have chosen someone well known by gamers or Star Wars fans. Its a fake.

Yeah, the "hear say" aspect of the announcement makes it suspicious. As an editor, I would never run that story. But it's a blog, so journalistic integrity is probably a foreign concept. So, I'm still waiting for something a bit more legit before I get too excited.

Okay. Can you say who provided this independent confirmation of the MMO and when?

I can tell you that as I was watching it too, it was Gamespot on E3 Live, it was something like 12am where I was so I can't remember exactly what they said, but the presenter basically just spoke about the leaked info, and did confirm it while in the conversation, they were only talking about it for about 30 seconds though, lol.

Well that seems pretty concrete to me.

In spite of it not being the news I wanted to hear (I wanted Obsidian and Avellone to get the job), this kind of confirmation is appreciated, MZ. :)

Archived