Home

EA to Play in Knights of the Old Republic

JediAthos

^ That is true, actually. My mistake. Sorry.

But I'll still hold my argument with EA's current lineup. I'll go one further, even: A lot of problems at EA could be solved by keeping their hands off the studios' and their projects. Not all, but many. If Riccitiello is honestly holding his word and giving the studios their autonomy then we don't have to worry about EA meddling in current and future KOTOR projects from Bioware.

There. Think I got it right that time. :D

that's true, and i hope he does keep his word. if he does, EA might just become a respectable publisher like it once was.

i am worried about LA's president though, since he's a former EA exec and apparently follows the Money Is All mentality...perhaps we are seeing LA's end?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Riccitiello puts a good attitude out there. He'll come right out and tell people that EA has serious flaws, tell you what he wants to do to fix them, and show you whether or not there are any viable results. He did it pretty well at e3. For a PR campaign, I'd say it works pretty well (Hey, I'm actually not using expletives to describe EA anymore...).

LucasArts on the other hand... I don't know what to say about them. They basically keep laying off all of their internal development. That's bad. Their 1st party titles sort of reflect that. Here's LucasArts through my eyes:

They're marketing to our kids... it is Star Wars after all. Over the last decade it has been the 3rd party developers, like Bioware, Obsidian, Raven, Factor 5 and Pandemic that have been bringing the really successful titles to us.

The prequels. Lucas is too fixated on the prequels right now (or the gap between the two trilogies). As Darrell Rodriguez and company seem to have realized that it is more profitable to license out to a 3rd party, I suppose that won't be a problem, since KOTOR has never been an in-house cake (why did I just call a game a cake?)

My conclusion, LA is following the money (like every company in the Capitalist Markets of the world) and saving money by licensing out... which is perfect climate for KOTOR. Bad for Republic Commando, good for Battlefront, and hopeless for Monkey Island 5. :p

My conclusion, LA is following the money (like every company in the Capitalist Markets of the world) and saving money by licensing out... which is perfect climate for KOTOR. Bad for Republic Commando, good for Battlefront, and hopeless for Monkey Island 5. :p

A very sane statement, I must say. Sadly(?), I don't see any changes on the close future, as it has been that way for quite some time now.

^ Don't get too sad about it, this mentality that LucasArts has been following has resulted in some great Star Wars games over the last decade, including both KOTOR games. I hate to think what Knights might of been like if it was an internal dev. *Shudders* Legos...

As Darrell Rodriguez and company seem to have realized that it is more profitable to license out to a 3rd party, I suppose that won't be a problem, since KOTOR has never been an in-house cake (why did I just call a game a cake?)

because kotor, like cake, is wonderful :lol:

seriously though, i wish they'd stop with the Legofied versions of games...i want a new kotor game, or a new game altogether, rather than finding out about Lego *insert pre-existing franchise here*...

Dear Every Video Game Company Everywhere,

You will never be able to make something that can compete with World of Warcraft, no matter what famous name you slap on it. It's too late, they won already. Please give up and stick to other things please.

Thank you,

-Khaannnn!!!!!, a concerned citizen

Still, I don't like EA with my Star Wars!

Didn't I just explain, in depth, that EA is NOT involved with our Star Wars? This MMO has been in development since 2005 (according to an interview with Bioware from 2006), EA has only ever even known about this thing since october, let alone meddle with it.

You've got noooothing to worry about. ;)

Didn't I just explain, in depth, that EA is NOT involved with our Star Wars? This MMO has been in development since 2005 (according to an interview with Bioware from 2006), EA has only ever even known about this thing since october, let alone meddle with it.

I would actually be more concerned with Richard Vogel (most likely) being on the design team (He is one of the two leads in the Bioware's Austin studio).

Mr. Vogel was the V.P. of Production at Sony Online and was the Executive Producer for SWG. (Two big strikes against him SOE has screwed up so many MMO's it scary)

I mean if I see the words Electronic Arts anywhere on a Star Wars game case i'll explode!

@GenPloKoon EA hasn't had a chance to meddle yet. They aren't publishing, either. Riccitiello is just trying to steal credit or something. After all, hands off the studio is his big idea that he's brought to EA. With the lineup EA brought to E3, I might believe he's actually doing that.
While I am impressed that you correctly spell Riccitiello, I'm curious as to why you think EA isn't publishing the game. Isn't SWG co-published by LucasArts and SOE? Why couldn't/wouldn't TOR MMORPG follow the same model? In fact, Mr. Riccitiello has indicated that EA is funding the "MMO in Austin" so unless BioWare has two MMORPG's in development then it seems likely that EA is providing financing for the project and thus would have some degree of publishing responsibility for the game. IMHO it doesn't seem likely that LucasArts would run the servers and other necessary infrastructure for a MMORPG. EA seems quite willing to provide that piece.

^ Yeah. What about the that gap between 2005 (when Bioware claimed they started this project) and the time EA acquired Bioware? Do you think whatever plans LA and Bioware had back then have drastically changed? How large of a role might EA take?

I have no way of knowing how the BioWare MMORPG and the LucasArts/BioWare project evolved over the concept, pre-production, and presumedly now production cycles of development since that kind of info hasn't really been available to the general public. Based on Mr. Riccitiello's enthusiasm about BioWare's MMORPG though it seems to me that he is expecting it to garner a lot of attention that will translate to sales and subscriptions that EA will profit from. My guess is that EA's role will be to market the game and provide the support for the game's infrastruture (servers, communications, billing, etc.). BioWare will handle development and LucasArts will retain editorial control over game content and at least some role in QA, based off the job posting Miltiades posted.

Why they are even bothering with an mmo I have no idea. I don't think it would be able to compete with the mmos on the market right now...... Just give us all what we really want. :?

What we all really want: KOTOR 3.

What they (EA, Lucas Arts, to a lesser degree Bioware) all really want: Money.

Hence there will be a kotor mmo, because a whole load of people are gonna try it. And if its good awesome, if it's not hey i don't play most games for more than a month anyway. But rest assured they will conclude the kotor core plot.

I hope...

Jesus...everyone's still crying over EA -> Bioware?

Let's say you're EA.

You buy Bioware, a studio known for QUALITY rpg's that make big bags of money. You will let them do their way. Because it's the way Bioware works and makes money. Pressuring them like some other EA titles won't work.

So, I find it utter parrotsh*t that Bioware would have lost it's touch. They were bought by EA to guarentee QUALITY rpg's once in a while. Because EA didn't have an RPG crew yet. Bioware is simply a 'stand alone' crew with an EA logo stamped on it. And EA stamps on their paychecks. But EA doesn't bother else.

It will be Bioware who's making it. The same team, thoughts and creativeness that shined in Kotor and Mass Effect. It's not like it will be Kotor: Undergound or Kotor 2009 followed by Kotor 2010. So get over it.

What we all really want: KOTOR 3.

What they (EA, Lucas Arts, to a lesser degree Bioware) all really want: Money.

Yeah, right on the money (no pun intended).

Or rather, Bioware/LucasArts/EA want to return the maximum profit to their shareholders. That's more or less the first rule of capitalism. So yeah, they'll make the most profitable games. Fortunately for us, KOTOR 1 and 2 have been VERY profitable/successful/popular. An MMO will make lots of money, too (we hope, Age of Conan is apparantly up in the air right now?), but so would a true sequel. So... if they make both?

The problem is that there is a large enough market of people who just like MMOs in general, without any regard for storytelling or quality gameplay. Even the casual SW fan that likes MMOs will probably at least try it out.
Indeed. You can see that all over the Internet where game journalists and gamers alike getting excited over this pretty much anywhere. You see it in the comments of users at gaming websites and at forums.

I can see how MMO's are attractive (even addictive), although I've never gotten into them myself. It appeases the larger gaming community to go the MMO route, but pisses off fans like any hardcore KotOR gamer.

I'd be disappointed in an MMO for KIII for sure, but sadly I prefer it to no KIII at all.

Indeed. You can see that all over the Internet where game journalists and gamers alike getting excited over this pretty much anywhere. You see it in the comments of users at gaming websites and at forums.

I welcome you to the world of Fallout fans who have been watching their fond memories of New Reno and Junktown go up in smoke with wonderful comments from Mr. Todd Howard like "I think the marching band music really sets it off" and "The 101 was actually chosen because it looks really cool on the vault suit".

Grumble, gibber, moan.

Archived