Home

WATCHMEN TRAILER!!!

Aye, I saw the trailer the day it came out, even wrote a piece about it here and I *know* that this is going to be one hell of a movie. Now the Watchmen is the best graphic novel EVAR, so Snyder's going to have ta work on this real good. In any case, the trailer is mind-blowingly awesome. It's the most perfect trailer I've seen and probably the one I've played the most since Episode III's.

The Comedian is dead.

Which reminds me, The Comedian looks friggin' sweet in this shot:

watchmen-first00168120-23-07.jpg

Rorshach looks as awesome as to be expected and Mr. Manhattan is perfect! Ozymandias looks a little gay, but then that's the way he's supposed to be. Don't like Sally Jupiter much, though: then again, she looks okay for the '80s.

It had most of the people in the theater I was in going 'wtf is this crap' and I can't say that I blame them, because I thought the exact same thing. If the marketing team for the Watchmen was trying to appeal to the everyday movie watcher, then they failed miserably because the trailer was crap. No one had any idea what the hell was going on or what the premise was supposed to be. The special effects with the glowy blue guy were nothing special, people can do that stuff with photoshop now. :p And the dude in the ripoff Batman costume? Ridiculous. My friend actually thought it might be some sort of farce movie.

Pretty much the only good thing I took away from it was the Smashing Pumpkins' song, but even that wasn't original; it comes from the last Joel Schumacher Batman abortion, which most people don't really want to remember.

And sorry, the best superhero movie ever has already been made. Most people have seen it already, it came after the wretched Watchmen trailer. :xp:

Meh, I thought the trailer (or teaser, or whatever) was awful too. It was just a bunch of random action shots with some freaky music. That's it. If you didn't know anything about the graphic novel, you'd be completely clueless (like half the theater was when I saw it).

And sorry, the best superhero movie ever has already been made. Most people have seen it already, it came after the wretched Watchmen trailer. :xp:

:lol: Exactly!

After my initial fangirlism, I have to say that I too was completely clueless as to what the premise is about. I just like special effects and the like. Thats what attracted me. ;) I also think that perhaps the worst idea in the movie was that ridiculous batman-like hero. <,<

I also think that perhaps the worst idea in the movie was that ridiculous batman-like hero. <,<

The Nite Owl. ;)

He is supposed to represent Batman in a way and a lot of his backstory is similar to Batman's as well, so that's how he is in the novel.

My friend actually thought it might be some sort of farce movie.

That was my first impression, too.

I had to use wikipedia to find out what it was all about. It seems like a cool concept, though, but the characters are blatant ripoffs. The creators admit it, though, so I can't hold it against them.

I'll see it when it comes to DVD.

The mother of all graphic novels.

QFT

It vrtually spawned the whole concept of "graphic novels", obviously borrowing elements from the superhero genre, but redifining it in such a way that changed the face of comic books...every graphic novel since owes something to Watchmen (and to "The Dark Knight Returns" as well I must admit)

The fact that it didn't look "mainstream" enough is exactly what appeals to me, it's a refreshing change from overhyped stuff like The Dark Knight (which will still be good I'm sure, but not the magnum opus some people make it out to be)

It didn't look "mainstream", but the purpose of a trailer is to incite the audience's interest in the movie and judging by the reactions of the people in the theater and most posters in this thread, the Watchmen trailer fell flat on its face. Hardcore fans like you and Sabre eat it up, but everyone else is just going to go "eh?"

'Mother of all graphic novels' it may or may not be (I think Spiegelman's Maus and Miller's The Dark Knight Returns beat it out chronologically; Maus won a Pulitzer), that still doesn't mean it's going to be a good movie, especially if it looks as campy as it did in the trailer.

Hardcore fans like you and Sabre eat it up, but everyone else is just going to go "eh?"

Like others, I had to look it up on Wikipedia to find out what it was - and It doesn't really look that different from something like the Justice League or the Avengers.

It seems it hasn't got the same exposure as Batman or Spiderman, so I don't see it doing all that well, especially if most people have to find out what it is before they can understand it.

It didn't look "mainstream", but the purpose of a trailer is to incite the audience's interest in the movie and judging by the reactions of the people in the theater and most posters in this thread, the Watchmen trailer fell flat on its face.

Judging by the general elections of the US of A, Bush deserves to be president :xp:

You'll excuse me if I don't take the average moviegoer's reaction to the trailer as any indication of its worth ;)

Well, that was just,hopefully, a teaser trailer. A lot of teaser trailers leave the audience wondering what the movie is all about. I would expect a trailer that outlines the plot a bit later on. As a teaser trailer, that one was okay. Not spectacular, but fine.

If that was the main trailer, then I would have to agree with Niner that it failed.

Teaser Trailers basically get the word out about a movie. They get people talking and wondering what the movie is about.

Main Trailers give a bit of the plot and make the audience want to see the movie.

Of course, I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a teaser or a main trailer, but we'll see... or most of us could forget about the movie and never see, but whatever.

'Mother of all graphic novels' it may or may not be (I think Spiegelman's Maus and Miller's The Dark Knight Returns beat it out chronologically; Maus won a Pulitzer), that still doesn't mean it's going to be a good movie, especially if it looks as campy as it did in the trailer.

Maus is a fantastic read: a masterpiece among graphic novels. But even then, the way Watchmen makes complete use of the genre and medium to tell its story is what makes it the most complete, deep and multi-layered novel I've ever read. You can read it over and over again and it not only feels fulfilling, you learn something new each time.

• 2 weeks later...

WATCH ->

Synopsis on story (from imdb.com):

"Watchmen" is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" - which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion - a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers - Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity... but who is watching the Watchmen?"

Intresting or not worth seeing for a superhero movie?

Your thoughts?

Hmmm the trailer looks intresting the story seems complex and engaging, I'd go and see it, but I've seen several promising superhero movies fail recently in my opinion at least. I hope that DC can help make Watchmen worth watching and I'll definatly check it out I like it.

Archived