Home

When in the timeline should the KOTOR MMO take place?

^ The key to the early JCW, the Republic is getting their big galactic butt kicked by the sith. We know all about that. What appeals (to me) about the Mandalorian wars is that it's central to the KOTOR series but at the same time it's relatively unexplored canon.

• 1 month later...
3500 years before the battle of Yavin? Why are most of the weapons pretty much the same? has technology stagnated for a few thousand years and suddenly start improving after Episode I?

How did technology suddenly start improving after Episode I? I can't think of any advances except older ship designs being abandoned in favor of newer ones, but there's nothing odd about that.

3500 years before the battle of Yavin? Why are most of the weapons pretty much the same?

If I recall correctly, technology doesn't change much at all between KOTOR and Bane's era, according to the most recent books (for example, they're still using Hammerheads). 3,500 BBY is smack dab in the middle of the two.

With Star Wars tech you kind of have to just throw logic, reason, and any scientific knowledge right out the window. Go ahead, defenestrate it.

Just to simplify for everyone:

[quote name=Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide

Pub. Aug 2008]

Knights of the Old Republic Era

The Great Sith War

4,000-3,995 BBY

The Restoration Period

3,995-3,966 BBY

Tha Mandalorian Wars

3,965-3,960 BBY

The Jedi Civil War (Events of Knights 1 took place here.)

3,959 - 3,955 BBY

The Dark Wars (Events of Knights 2 took place here.)

3,955-3,951 BBY

I'm just gonna post what some people I asked about the timeline (mainly a discussion between me and Militades at TG Forums :p)

The game should be set somewhere in the old republic era. Which covers from about 10,000 BBY and somewhere in the 3,000 BBY. Basically the end of the Infinite Empire Era to about somewhere after the end of the First Jedi Purge (which was the time period before the events of TSL. That was when Traya, Sion, and Nihilus went on the hunt for the Jedi).

You've got your Chronology wrong Trigger :)

The Infinite Empire was in fact dissolved around 25'000 BBY, and The First Jedi Purge took place between 3,955 and 3,951 BBY, But I agree that an Old Republic MMO should take place in the Old Republic :p.

IMO it would be a good setting if the MMO took place somewhere around the time's of the New Sith wars (Darth Ruin->Early Darth Bane era) around 2000-1000 BBY (which is still within the Old Republic Era, the Rise of the Empire Era begins in 1000 BBY) there's full scale Jedi vs Sith battles, across the whole Galaxy, with Republic army and Mandalorian Involvement, which is a good palette for an MMO style game, But Most Importantly it doesn't Step on my beloved KotOR's toes, lets leave that time frame for KotOR III hey? :)

Imo, there's 2 options:

Revanchist time: You have thousands of Jedi running around. And two factions players can join. And if you place it later, in the Jedi Civil War, you have Sith vs. Jedi. Take Sith missions from Revan, council mission from Kavar...it fits.

OR...

X years after Kotor 2. There's nothing there, so you could fill it like Jedi Academy did: Quick training of adults, since there's almost no Jedi left. This would also explain the mass overflow of Jedi, because let's face it: Everyone will play a Jedi. :(

*cough* Jedipokesaberzor1994* would liked to duel you *cough*

If you want to take advantage of Bioware's strengths, storytelling being one of the largest, you want them to have as open-ended a period to work with as possible IMO. That would make anything between Exar Kun and TSL a poor choice IMO.

As much as I hate to admit it, making the MMO KotOR 3 makes the most sense:

-There's a solid foundation of material to work with allowing for greater depth of setting. The previous 50+ years of Star Wars history as of TSL are fairly well-defined.

-Fans are familiar with this period and using it will allow the built in fanbase from KotOR and the various EU media to emerse themselves more quickly.

-The fate of the galaxy is still up in the air (barring the fact that we know the Jedi and Republic survive), as well as the fates of many of the key players of the era, including Revan and the Exile. This allows Bioware to shape your playing experience into a story of the player and his companions saving the galaxy while encountering a number of well-liked and identifiable figures.

-The Jedi Order and the Sith Orders under Revan/Malak and the TSL Triad have been decimated. Allowing the players to partake in the rebuilding of the ordes has the advantage that it can provide an excuse for why the Jedi and Sith are closer in ability to their non-Force sensitive companions than they would be in other periods, allowing for game balance and incentives to play other classes. A lot of the knowledge is lost or hidden and needs to be recovered, and repopulating the Orders will make the influx of adult Jedi more logical.

-The problem with placing the period X (X = ~500-3000) number of years after a hypothetical KotOR 3 is that it would undoubtedly reference lore that would have taken place in KotOR 3 pertaining to Revan, the Exile, and the "True Sith." Again, if we're talking about playing to Bioware's strengths, the depth of world in the MMO will be huge which means entire encyclopedias of new and established Star Wars lore will be involved. Unless a KotOR 3 SPRPG is being developed concurrently to be released around the same time as the MMO, some important details of the story of a future KotOR 3 would be spoiled.

The more I become convinced that our SPRPG will be overlooked, the more I want the MMO to finish the story Bioware began in KotOR. I'm becoming reconciled to it now. If Revan is the Illidan of KotOR and I had to go kill him as one of my endgame objectives, I could live with that. Let it be done with lest a KotOR 3 end up being forced to deviate too far from the games we know by the time they get around to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind seeing the new KotOR taking place during the New Sith Wars: 2,000-1,000 BBY. If it is indeed the MMO, then everyone that wants to play will have options. There are Sith, Jedi, Mandalorians, the Republic, Battles, Death and Destruction!

It's a great time period for a game that's expected to have thousands of players. Just my 2 cents though.

The problem with putting it in the Mandalorian Wars period is that it is being written out in the comics right now. We have an on-going timeline defining the exact occurences of what happens. The story is being written right now, and Dark Horse is not going to talk to BioWare and tell them how their story is going to turn out.

The MMO would stomp all over parts of the comic story if you run around meeting these characters in the game, and discontinuities will spring up everywhere.

I would hate to see that happen, especialy since I am reading the series right now. I am also enjoying the Vector series and am looking forward to see how it turns out in the last four issues in Legacy.

The problem with putting it in the Mandalorian Wars period is that it is being written out in the comics right now. We have an on-going timeline defining the exact occurences of what happens. The story is being written right now, and Dark Horse is not going to talk to BioWare and tell them how their story is going to turn out.

It's not such a big problem, as they will most likely avoid the characters decipted on the comics on the MMO. Besides, it's a small issue when compared with the ones Bioware would have if the game was set during the Jedi Civil War or later, seeing as KotOR 3 is a possible, though undefined, occurrance.

Archived