Home

The worst game sequels

HigherPower

...And any Tom Clancy game NOT developed by Red Storm.

Before RSE got gobbled up by Ubisoft. RSE was one of my top three developers. While Raven Shield isn't as bad as the latter tactical shooters put out by Ubisoft. It still wasn't as good as the earlier titles. It started the PC version of consolization of the games. The same level of Command & Control was gone. :(

Call of Duty 2 and maybe 3, Ive never played it, I have to give props to infinity ward for remaking halo in a world war 2 setting with even more linear missions, redoing already over-done battles and removing a lot of good content from UO while not really adding anything at all of value. Ooohh an unhistorical and nerfed Thomson, wow how excitingly new.

Yet another one of my pet peeves in gaming.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness -> Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories (Alright, Disgaea 2 probably isn't too bad on it's own, but... It's got nothing to do with the first Disgaea except a few token cameos. The first one is far funnier, with more magnetic characters (Like CAPTAIN GORDON, DEFENDER OF EARTH))

Sonic Adventure 2 -> Sonic Heroes (I think I stopped paying attention to the series after Adventure ended. Heroes was... well, rubbish in the extreme.)

The first three Spyro/Crash Bandicoot games -> Any ones that came after that (I don't know what went wrong. Maybe I lost my childlike fascination with them. But they just seemed to get much worse once they left the playstation.)

Though I'm more a "KotOR 1" person (And it's nothing to do with "grey", I just didn't like 2 as much except for the upgraded mechanics), I'm not sure if I'd count 2 as a "bad sequel".

Well, for me back in the day, I loved Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, but I couldn't stand Mysteries of the Sith.

Aww, I liked MOTS. Yeah, it wasn't a full sequel (it was technically an expansion pack), but I still liked it. It was a bit lacking on story, but the missions were all fun...though some of the puzzles were rather annoying at times. Still, it's a fun game.

Jedi Knight Story -> Jedi Outcast Story and/or Jedi Academy Story.

Oh, definitely.

KotOR to KotOR 2 (Peragus and cut content)

*storms off muttering*

Sonic Adventure 2 -> Sonic Heroes (I think I stopped paying attention to the series after Adventure ended. Heroes was... well, rubbish in the extreme.)

The first three Spyro/Crash Bandicoot games -> Any ones that came after that (I don't know what went wrong. Maybe I lost my childlike fascination with them. But they just seemed to get much worse once they left the playstation.)

Agreed. But the Sonic series sucked since SA2. And the first games of the Crash/Spyro series were awesome, but they have really declined.

I'm a grey man, myself. Kreia and Jolee were the best characters for me.

Which type are you, Prime?

I'm probably more on the good vs. evil side, although I agree with your awesomeness assessment of Kreia and Jolee. :)

The choose your own mission thing was a good idea - it's just a shame most of the missions weren't very good.
I don't know, I guess I just felt it hurt the overall plot arch having most missions being self contained.

Actually, I'm thinking you'd say AD&D 1.0 -> the other editions. >_>
Huge nerd!!

Jedi Outcast SP - Jedi Academy SP (Honestly. The only thing I really preferred about Jedi Academy was it's Multiplayer. The SP was very bad compared to Outcast.

Deus Ex - Invisible War (Invisible War had a few good ideas. ((Such as the Omar. The Omar were good characters that I even fleshed out in a fanfic previously)) Though the developers were quite bad in using those ideas)

Tony Hawk's Underground - Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (The sequel had very little replayability after you beat the very easy hardest difficulty. Sure there was classic mode, but I only found fun in creating custom parks.)

Morrowind - Oblivion (Very self explanatory. Unless you are a first time Oblivion fan. I spent a year playing Morrowind and found Oblivion way to inferior. The leveled difficulty and the absolute ease to the game was to much)

Max Payne - Max Payne 2 (Now this isn't that inferior. Max Payne 2 was a very good game by itself. It had an alright storyline and improved gameplay. But compared to the extremely good storyline of the first game, Max Payne 2 deserves to be placed on the bargain bin where the first game lies)

Spyro 3 - Spyro enter the dragonfly (I have over a thousand rants about Spyro post Insomniac time. It was a very bad idea that Insomniac sold Spyro. Since even though Ratchet and Clank is an alright series the recent Spyro games have been made a complete mockery of. Which is why one of the only reasons I use my Ps2 anymore is to play the original Spyro games from the PS1 ((Among other games of course. I have a 360 now))

Final Fantasy IX - post Ps1 Final Fantasy (All of the final fantasy games before IX were masterpieces on their own console. Specifically VI ((I played that game SO MUCH)), VII ((First story addiction)) and IX ((Second story addiction)).)

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 2 - Defiance (So many rants. Among camera angels and a rushed storyline. It was very tragic that Legacy of Kain was stopped at that point and Eidios doesn't wish to continue the series. Soul Reaver 2 had alright puzzles though the first game was in every way superior ((Except graphics))

Morrowind - Oblivion (Very self explanatory. Unless you are a first time Oblivion fan. I spent a year playing Morrowind and found Oblivion way to inferior. The leveled difficulty and the absolute ease to the game was to much)

:nod: I agree.

Oblivion, while fun and full of eye candy, should not have been an ES line. I've played Morrowind forever (still playing it in fact).. but Oblivion is exactly why you do not develop a game for console then port to PC..horrible, horrible way to implement. Oblivion compared to Morrowind is completely dumbed down :(

Expect the same should Force Unleashed become available for PC (if ever). They're going the same route Bethesda did and it's frightening considering the potential both Oblivion had and Force Unleash has. :indif:

Mind you, I'm coming from modding potential as well. I've logged countless hours of Oblivion, it's great on it's own.. but it had the baggage of "sequel" (and it's expectations from a HUGE community) nailed on it.. something Force Unleashed wouldn't have (yet). Time will tell.

I spent a year playing Morrowind and found Oblivion way to inferior. The leveled difficulty and the absolute ease to the game was to much)
I played Oblivion first enjoyed it. I probably spent more hours playing it than any other game (much of my enjoyment was due to taking the advice offered by our residential game genius stoffe). I’ve only just discovered the pleasures of Morrowind thanks to Boba Rhett and have been getting my game advice from Achilles. I am on my second play through and I could not agree more with your’s and ChAiNz.2da’s assessments. Oblivion was fun, but Morrowind has a very good story and with the proper mods (stopping the non-stop attacks by the Cliff Racers) is a far superior game. My major grip against Oblivion is I did not care about any of the NPC in it. Morrowind is not great in that regards, but at least I care about a few of them.

I actually thought Morrowind was extremely easy even when compared to Oblivion that was until I got to the final boss in the main quest. I don’t know if I ever would have beaten him if he hadn’t decided to take a swim in molten lava. Guess I will find out on this play through.

Uh, what? :xp:

I think he meant "Morrowind has a better story when compared to Oblivion" Since even though Morrowind's storyline was cliche'd and obvious. It was still better then Oblivion's garbage storyline and pathetic attempt at one. It's entire strong point was it's gameplay and graphics where you could tell 90% of its funding went to.

I personally don't get where you find Morrowind easy. Morrowind was very hard compared to the many games I have played. (Halo 3 being one of them). Oblivion was very easy. I mean everything was leveled. I beat the main quest at level 2 in around 3 days. It took me 2 months of casual gaming to beat the main quest for Morrowind. Because I spent so many hours doing more quests to get equipment I had to level up to actually use well in combat to kill creatures that were several levels above me. Everying in Oblivion was compared to your level. Meaning Dremora were either your level or a few levels higher depending on your difficulty.

Jedi Knight was a terrible sequel to Dark Forces. I've not been able to get through any of the early levels without force heal. It's too easy to die in order to get through the entire game and impossibly difficult to find my way through the first time. Lightsaber sucked except for defense.

Uh, what? :xp:

No, it was not MotB, but it was better than Oblivion. Morrowind had many good mini-stories. No, I would not want to watch a movie or read a book based on the Morrowind story line, but it was above average for a game. IMO

I personally don't get where you find Morrowind easy.
Most likely, I found it easy because I actually took my time. I became Master in the Fighter’s Guild and the Arch-Mage before I was really got into the main quest. On this time through, I’ve even been more patient. I’m Arch-Mage, Master of the Fighters Guild, member of the Morag Tong so far and I’ve done only three main quest. I’ve also extensively explored already freeing about 20 slaves. It is also easier for me, for the same reason Oblivion was so easy for you, we already understand the importance of certain skills and attributes having played the other game. First time I played Oblivion I don’t think I put any points into luck. I did not make that same mistake the first time I played Morrowind.

:nod: I agree.

Oblivion, while fun and full of eye candy, should not have been an ES line. I've played Morrowind forever (still playing it in fact).. but Oblivion is exactly why you do not develop a game for console then port to PC..horrible, horrible way to implement. Oblivion compared to Morrowind is completely dumbed down :(

Expect the same should Force Unleashed become available for PC (if ever). They're going the same route Bethesda did and it's frightening considering the potential both Oblivion had and Force Unleash has. :indif:

Mind you, I'm coming from modding potential as well. I've logged countless hours of Oblivion, it's great on it's own.. but it had the baggage of "sequel" (and it's expectations from a HUGE community) nailed on it.. something Force Unleashed wouldn't have (yet). Time will tell.

Personally Arena & Daggerfall -> Morrowwind -> Oblivion

Tekken 4 was rather lame too, or the recently released expansion for Dawn of War!

Never really liked the Tekken games, I'm a Mortal Kombat guy, fast button smashing. :p

Though as most franchises it went down-hill with MK, I did enjoy MK4 a lot on the PC, due my endless matches with a friend.

Though I do have one on X-Box, MK Deception or something, still a nice game, but nothing special really.

DoW is fun in multiplayer and LAN, can't really say the SP expiernce was great.

As the First one was rather dull, I didn't like the Guard expension and Dark Crusade + Soul Storm is just a whole bunch of skirmish games...

And I like my Morrorwind, not so much Oblivion... to much eye-candy for my Laptop to handle. Else I would have given it a good spin.

I like Need For Speed; mainly Hot Pursuit( NSF 3), NSF 4 was just like 3 but with some new tracks and damage added, UnderGround 2 was fun aswell,the other parts where rather, plain racing games.

Archived