Home

The worst game sequels

HigherPower

Fallout 2 -?> Fallout 3 (hope I'm wrong :))

As do I, but the more I hear about it, the less hope I have for Fallout3.

I can understand them not going with an isometric view. Technologies change. I'm sure if Black Isle had the capabilities, they would have used third person view. At first, I wanted isometric, but being able to explore the Fallout Universe in 3D is once aspect of the game I'm looking forward to.

What gets me is that the game seems to be taking away the player's ability to play a noncombat character. Even with a different camera style, you can still leave the game play intact. I'm not sure they will, though. I want that ability to solve quest the way I want to. It seems they may just offer you different combat options. You can't talk your way through a mission, but you can pick which mob to fight?!

I could be way off, but that's the impression I get.

Although, to be fair, I'm less of a game mechanics guy and more of a story guy. If they can get the "feel" of the game right, I will be happy. If they can get the story, dialogue, and humor right, I will be happy at this point.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob, how much have you been keeping up on Fallout 3? Becase you're quite wrong. If you watch the E3 Demo, You'll notice that the talking skills are still in place, and I have no reason to believe that Bethesda will not make use of them.

At any rate,

Fallout -> Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.

Why are people putting games (Fallout 3) in here that haven't even been released yet? It sort of defeats the whole bloody purpose.

Baldur's Gate -> Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

Yes, I know they're both technically spinoffs. Let me keep my rage.

I'd condemn NWN2, but frankly, NWN2 had a better plot than NWN, it just had a worse ending. And the game itself isn't bad.

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade -> Dawn of War: Soulstorm.

Sweet merciful Lady, I can't even touch that game without feeling like I've got leprosy.

And for that matter, why are people listing games that are just not as good? KotoR 2 does not deserve a place on this list. Jedi Knight does not deserve a place on this list. They aren't possibly the Worst Sequels Ever. Oblivion doesn't either, if you ask me, but that's one that I can at least see.

Quest for Glory IV -> Quest for Glory V. It isn't that QFG5 was bad by itself, but it wasn't really Quest for Glory, other than all the cameos. But I really doubt anyone here has any clue what I'm talking about.

Bob, how much have you been keeping up on Fallout 3? Becase you're quite wrong. If you watch the E3 Demo, You'll notice that the talking skills are still in place, and I have no reason to believe that Bethesda will not make use of them.

I know I've seen a few videos, but I may have missed that one. I do recall an interview where one of the devs said they were taking the emphasis off of dialogue, though.

We'll just have to wait and see.

And for that matter, why are people listing games that are just not as good? KotoR 2 does not deserve a place on this list. Jedi Knight does not deserve a place on this list. They aren't possibly the Worst Sequels Ever.

Jedi Academy by itself was a pretty fun game, but in comparison to Dark Forces II, it was a travesty.

Jedi Academy by itself was a pretty fun game, but in comparison to Dark Forces II, it was a travesty.

That's the problem - a lot of these games mentioned would be alright, if they weren't sequels to massively popular and successful games.

That's the problem - a lot of these games mentioned would be alright, if they weren't sequels to massively popular and successful games.

Then they wouldn't be sequels. :xp:

But, yeah, I get it. However, nowadays, I just feel I can't afford a "more or less" game anymore.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door -> Super Paper Mario

Should have just kept the RPG style gameplay that was in the original Paper Mario and the best sequel ever, The Thousand Year Door. But Super Paper Mario was a platformer. This game disappointed me as the story was weak also, but that's just my opinion.

Warcraft III -> World of Warcrack.

Ruined the feel of the franchise and destroyed the story.

I completely agree, I hated how they just flipped sides around from how the FT had ended and just screwed up the story. The gameplay is somewhat fun on private servers but no where near as fun as warcraft 3.

I refuse to acknowledge it as a proper sequel, but in any case...

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! > Power Punch II.

There has never been a sequal to Mike Tyson's Punch Out in my books :)

That was a brilliant game, I still play it every so often, geez Mike is tough to beat.

Oblivion: Would have liked the lvl scaling a lot more if they added good perks as you lvld (i.e firebal->ICBM), and hordes of low lvls. The other stuff is said by others.

PoP3-> Assasins Creed: pointless side misions, a climbing system that required no skill, and no flashy fighting

• 2 weeks later...

Riven > Myst III: Exile

Riven had the best ending for the Myst series, but Myst's intellectual property was actually bought off of Cyan by Mattel, and contracted Presto Studios to make a sequel. It essence, it kind of retconned Riven's ending (which was awesomely epic). :)

Descent II > Descent 3

D3's level design was mediocre to Descent II's, and where a game's core gameplay is piloting a ship in zero gravity in a mine inside an asteroid, exterminating robots, destroying a nuclear reactor and finding the exit before the self-destruct kicks in, the levels better be pretty good. Well, they weren't. :confused:

Dark Forces > Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight and anything else after that

Yeah, we're going old school, everyone. Dark Forces, a Doom-like first person shooter where you didn't have a lightsaber (audible gasps form the audience). Well, in DF, you didn't need a lightsaber, not when you had a massive plasma cannon that took up half the screen! Oddly enough, it looked like this: :launcher: Also, the plot was a lot better, too. Trying to stop massive Iron Man-esque Dark Trooper Phase IIs from destroying the Rebellion trumps trying to stop a human sized T-Rex. :xp:

Here are the worst

NFS Carbon --> NFS Prostreet (way to take an amazing series of Racing games and completely change the dynamic and make it just like every other racing game out there YAY!!!)

I don't know what it was a Sequel to but Sonic for the 360 (*barfs* I don't even want to talk about the $50 I lost thinking it'd be decent Grrrrrrr)

Unreal Tournament 2k4 --> Unreal Tournament 3 (PC Version) Lets see UT 3 was unfinished and I've spent more time installing Patches and making content for my clan to finish the game than I have spent playing the unfinished game, nobody expected single player to be any good but even the online mode isn't that great

And last but def. not least

Roller Coaster Tycoon games --> any other tycoon game. (why would you bother with underwater tycoon, and prision tycoon, mall tycoon? WTF?)

And why is there so much hate towards Halo, everyone knew they'd focus on multiplayer for the 3rd one, while I expected the 2nd one to be better SP wise, after that I knew it'd be all about Multiplayer and when I bought Halo 3 that's what I expected a good Multiplayer experience and Halo 2 and 3 mastered the multiplayer experience.

Buying Halo for SP is like buying Unreal Tournament for SP.

Dark Forces > Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

*drops his monocle into his tea*

I did not drop my monocle, but I can sympathize as I spelt my beer.

How can anyone not like a game that gives you the opportunity to fight a mutated Kowakian Monkey-Lizard? :giveup:

How can anyone not like a game that gives you the opportunity to fight a mutated Kowakian Monkey-Lizard? :giveup:

Yeah, yeah, I knew I would take a lot of flak for this. I just though that the overall plot was better in DF than JK. Oh yeah, Pic was hard as hell trying to kill, y'know. Kept on jumping around like a hyperkinetic, rabbity-thing. :lol:

You spelled your beer? :xp:

As for video games, I'd have to say from Metal Gear Solid to MGS2. MGS2 has the single most convoluted plot I have ever heard of. It's worse than Halo 2, which made no sense to me until I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Archived