Home

The worst game sequels

HigherPower

Hell, people aren't supposed to know about Arsenal Gear until about round two of the marathon plot twist. I know MGS had plot twist, but they were spread out, not grouped together so that they are all revealed all together in a space of a half an hour.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can tell you're one of the people that actually got the plot of MGS2. There were a couple of stupid choices in there, like when you have to find Ames and chat him up for something like 10 minutes, and none of the terrorists notice. Or the fact you have to drag Emma behind you cuz se was paralyzed by some drug or something. That just seems stupid to me.

Yes, there were some silly ideas, they could've made the part where you talk to Ames less stupid, by making you hide under a table the whole time.

The Emma thing I didn't really mind.

And yes, I probably am one of "those" people :) I just love the MGS series so much, so that could have something to do with it. :)

@Corinth: I don't really find legit the complaints about the use of the supernatural on MGS. Since the very first boss on the very first game we know what's coming at you and how the fantastic swirls throughout the game.

And I thought plot twists happening at the game's ending could be easily assimilated by the players since cutscenes take that long and the characters talk the same thing with different words a number of times. I never really had any trouble with it, you just have to pay attention.

And I say it again; if anyone found MGS3's plot complicated, they'd have trouble understanding Pong's premise.

Call of Duty 2 and maybe 3, Ive never played it, I have to give props to infinity ward for remaking halo in a world war 2 setting with even more linear missions, redoing already over-done battles and removing a lot of good content from UO while not really adding anything at all of value. Ooohh an unhistorical and nerfed Thomson, wow how excitingly new.

CoD 2 and CoD4 where made by Infinity Ward, while CoD 3 and the upcoming CoD World at War (or something like that) is made by Treyarch.

I like CoD3 better than CoD4 mainly because the multiplayer was MUCH more fun, even with just 4 people ( a single war battle often took 2 1/2 hours to 3 with 4 people, and no unfortunate glitches)

CoD4's single player keeps that entire epic battle feel throughtout the entire game, something that CoD3 couldn't hold past the first mission.

Anyway....

Rogue Squadron on the N64 and all other Rogue Squadrons.

Seriously, even with the L in the Death Star Trench run, its STILL better than the GCN version.

I have no clue on why some of you guys hate Metal Gear Solid 2, it was a great game, sure Raidan was a baby at some times, but he grew on me, and it was a great game, a awesome game.

The story and plot in MGS2 is great, it has a great theme and tone to it, and the plot twist it self are great.

Overall, MGS2 is my favorite MGS game in the whole series. (Never played MGS 4 or MGS 1 though)

Let me see... Turok 3 Shadow of Oblivion was crap compared to Seeds of Evil. Seeds of Evil was much more enjoyable to play. Especially the multi player. Shadow of Oblivion tried to make the game have better graphics and lost the randomness that Seeds of Evil had with it's levels

@Corinth: I don't really find legit the complaints about the use of the supernatural on MGS. Since the very first boss on the very first game we know what's coming at you and how the fantastic swirls throughout the game.

And I thought plot twists happening at the game's ending could be easily assimilated by the players since cutscenes take that long and the characters talk the same thing with different words a number of times. I never really had any trouble with it, you just have to pay attention.

And I say it again; if anyone found MGS3's plot complicated, they'd have trouble understanding Pong's premise.

I don't see the legitimacy in his argument either, it really was a great game.

I have no clue on why some of you guys hate Metal Gear Solid 2, it was a great game, sure Raidan was a baby at some times, but he grew on me, and it was a great game, a awesome game.

The story and plot in MGS2 is great, it has a great theme and tone to it, and the plot twist it self are great.

Overall, MGS2 is my favorite MGS game in the whole series. (Never played MGS 4 or MGS 1 though)

Nor do I understand the badmouthing of it, but I would not say it's the best of the series, until you played the original MGS. Second best game EVER made. Absolute masterpiece, it was.

That's the thing though, Ctrl. After Metal Gear Solid, the supernatural was completely excised, and even in MGS, the only one who exhibited really supernatural capabilities was Vulcan Raven. They cranked up the ridiculousness in MGS2 to the Nth Power with Vamp and Fortune, and then had both their abilities attributed down to advanced tech, Fortune's random "I can redirect Rockets oh crap, I'm shot" moment notwithstanding.

This is somewhat obligatory, given my name, but anyway! :D

Descent II > Descent 3

D3's level design was mediocre to Descent II's, and where a game's core gameplay is piloting a ship in zero gravity in a mine inside an asteroid, exterminating robots, destroying a nuclear reactor and finding the exit before the self-destruct kicks in, the levels better be pretty good. Well, they weren't. :confused:

To be honest, Descent II and Descent 3's level design were different for good reason. D2's was room-based rendering, which is why it was always underground (a holdover from D1). While I agree that D3's levels weren't so complicated you could easily get lost in them, I think part of that is because areas were more easily identifiable (rather than just being boxes)! :D

The one thing that really annoyed me with D3 was that they had gotten rid of the Flash missiles. They were my favorite! :(

Additionally, the expansion for D3 - Mercenary - was really something, and the levels were quite large... I particularly remember one where you were dropped off in a PTMC space station. That one reminded me of D2's levels. <3

As for sequels, it's not really a sequel but: Shadows of Undrentide for NWN. The story was uninteresting but I did like the atmosphere of it.

Neverwinter Nights - > Neverwinter Nights 2.

I won't talk about the campaigns, because for as wretched as the NWN2 OC was, at least it was good enough that I got annoyed when it downhill fast. NWN's OC was apathy avenue. But look at Obsidian! We created a game that NOBODY DOES ANYTHING WITH. I mean, good grief, the only people making stuff for NWN2, pretty much, are the people getting paid for it.

There's been a few:

- Road Rash series on the Megadrive were some crazy massive fun...Road Rash on the Playstation was not. How on Earth is it possible to take that much joy out of a relatively simple game mechanic?

- Same goes for Rollcage II

- Silent Hill: The Room...what the fook was that?

- Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness...what the bladdy nora went on there? So frustrating I gave up barely 1 hour in, never to play it again.

I'm happy to read some of you talk of The Sith Lords having grey morality...it whets my appetite to play it.

• 1 month later...
Heres another one for me:

Melee to Brawl (Too slow, not much single player improvements, no wavedashing and NO MEWTWO!!!)

It wasn't really bad but is was nowhere near as good as Melee.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!! How could you say that! Sure there's no Roy in Brawl :( but I can live with that! Also there is wavedashing in Brawl and Mewtwo wasn't that good anyway! Besides you've got Lucario!

:disaprove

<l>

_/\_

Anyway, I think Paper Mario:thousand year door--->super paper mario was pretty bad. i mean it wasn't horrible, but it had completely nothing to do with paper besides how it looks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Pac Man to Ms. Pac Man

Halo to Halo 2 to Halo 3

First of all, Pac Man and Ms. Pac Man are exactly the same. Second, Halo 2 to Halo 3, what is wrong with you. Halo 3 was the best and Halo 2 was the worst(not saying it's bad). Wait did you mean did you mean the story line or game machanics?

Anyway, Spiderman 2 --->Spiderman 3

Archived