Home

Regarding EU Novels...

Hawwi Joshe

I'm currently planning on reading some of the EU novels as I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Only problem is, I don't even know where to start. What series of novels should I begin reading, I have noticed that the 'Legacy of the Force' series seems to be really popular. Is there any advice some of you huge EU fans could give me as to where you recommend I begin reading?

Although, I would like to begin right where Episode 6 left off and how the books and series that continue to follow in order.

The answer to this is anywhere you want, the reason I say this is because some of the series of are not complete such as The Last of the Jedi series there is still one more book.

If you want to read one off books that are not part of a series, I would suggest starting with either Dark Lord the Rise of Darth Vader which takes place right after Episode 3 or Shadows of the empire which takes place between episode 4 and 5.

I am an avid read of the Star Wars novels and have read a lot of them. The authors do a good job of making the books they are writing, just deal with that particular time frame, so if you have to jump around from one series to another it is not hard to make the transition. I personally started with Shadows of the Empire then went to the Jedi Apprentice Series. Yeah, I know it is listed as youth novels but it does a good job of telling you how the whole process that a Jedi goes thru to pick a padawan, and how the ever proper and righteous Obi-Wan was a whiney, bratty teenager at one time.

Here is a list it is probably a good place to start to see what is out there and what time frame they take place in, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

I alway come back to this list when I am done with a series to see where I want to go next.

I would think that for the books that take place around the time of the movies, it wouldn't really matter where you start (provided you've seen all the movies). You'd easily know where the story fits into the Star Wars Universe.

But for the ones that are more removed from the movies in time (such as the New Jedi Order), it probably would help to read them chronologically. Then you'd know who certain characters are that the authors maybe take it for granted that you're familiar with them.

I've been told that the Thrawn Trilogy is almost required reading, but I haven't read it yet (I will soon though).

The only problem is that some of the books can be pretty hard to find now - I tried to find a copy of I, Jedi, and it wasn't easy. Plus of course, reading ALL the books in order would cost a fair amount of money...

...library? :)

I do have a copy of I, Jedi in my bedroom, though. Very good book, that. Just make sure to read the X-wing Series by Michael Stackpole before you jump into I, Jedi or it won't make any sense. I would also recommend reading the Jedi Academy trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson first as well as it will also help with understanding that book. The KJA trilogy isn't my favorite, but... it isn't bad, per se...

• 3 weeks later...

Just make sure to read the X-wing Series by Michael Stackpole before you jump into I, Jedi or it won't make any sense.

Inyri,

I made that mistake I read I.Jedi first I was able to follow it pretty well be cause i treated as a one off book .

As a matter a fact I was in the middle of the X-Wing series when I replied to this post I have since finished it.

The funniest part is that a few days ago I decided to read I,Jedi again because I fellt the author did an Excellent Job of whiting the story of Corran Horn in the first person. But now that i ahev read the x-Wing series it does make it alot easier since I now know about all of the issues and people they talk about in the book.

Then I decide to look at this post and saw what you wrote and are absolutly correct.

I would suggest that if you plan to read I, Jedi read the folowing in order:

1. X-Wing books #1-8
  2. the thrawn trilogy
  3. I,Jedi
  4. X-Wing book #9

Book Nine of the X-wing series goes off on a bit of a tanget IMO, but is still a very good read.

Another suggestion is that if you can't find the books in paper form you can search the internet to see if you can find them in an ebook format. when going with an ebook format I would strongly suggest .lit for microsoft reader. IMO MS reader program is about the best as far as reading, either on a PC or a PDA, it far surpasses reading it in TXT format or PDA just because the PDF Program for the PDF is horrible to read with.

Archived