Home

The Social Pyramid: How people are treated based on their status.

TriggerGod

You know what I mean. If you don't:

The top of the Pyramid: People in charge of a country

Second from the top: Politicians, Judges, Docters, Stars, and some Justice Enforcers (Police)

Third: What we probably are, many normal people. Sellers, Some Police, a lot of regular people.

Bottom: The farmers, and hobos. The people who are never, or very rarely mentioned in Newspapers, unless they are burned down in their barn/box. Then, the only reason is because they are in the obituaries.

EDIT: ^ was just an example.

I was inspired by what someone said in one of my topics here:

to be fair, "punishment" for a star or political figure, or anyone high on the social ladder, is nothing like punishment for regular people. Rehab for a star is a forced stay at the Ritz without the drugs. Rehab for you and me is a Motel Six with mandatory AA meetings.

What do you think about the treatment of people higher then you (In the above quote's case, Lindsey Lohan :xp:) compared to your treatment? Or, in some cases, how people who are higher then you treat you? (AKA How a higher class person treats a lower class person)

Most of the world operations on, and will continue to utilize, a hierarchical-pyramid to depict a certain caste. Workers will be the least appreciated/observed, whereas the entertainers (at least, in today's world) will be the most valued.

Things may change over time, as in who is valued, but the world will always retain a 'caste-system,' though its importance may waver at times.

While, as previously mentioned, unfair, it seems to keep everyone in a 'place.' Interesting... ;)

So, I guess the question is, "Will we ever break free of this hierarchical system that has developed in today's society?"

Most of the world operations on, and will continue to utilize, a hierarchical-pyramid to depict a certain caste. Workers will be the least appreciated/observed, whereas the entertainers (at least, in today's world) will be the most valued.

Things may change over time, as in who is valued, but the world will always retain a 'caste-system,' though its importance may waver at times.

While, as previously mentioned, unfair, it seems to keep everyone in a 'place.' Interesting... ;)

So, I guess the question is, "Will we ever break free of this hierarchical system that has developed in today's society?"

Its kinda like how we're taught in school to treat others how we want to be treated..

Now, its kinda hypocritical, don't-cha think?

Its kinda like how we're taught in school to treat others how we want to be treated..

Now, its kinda hypocritical, don't-cha think?

Very. Not only does it not work, but it teaches us to do 'good' things for a material purpose (i.e., I'm treating you well so that you treat me well).

That's just my opinion, though.

You know what I mean. If you don't:

The top of the Pyramid: People in charge of a country

Second from the top: Politicians, Judges, Docters, Stars, and some Justice Enforcers (Police)

Third: What we probably are, many normal people. Sellers, Some Police, a lot of regular people.

Bottom: The farmers, and hobos. The people who are never, or very rarely mentioned in Newspapers, unless they are burned down in their barn/box.

The idea of a social hierarchy is ridiculous. There are certain people who make an impact directly and others indirectly... a movie star doesn't achieve greatness without the support of an audience. The fans make the star... no fans, no star.

The one who invented the AK-47 is not a rich person, but these assault riffles are the most produced automatic weapon in the world. The problem with a hierarchy or pyramid is that the subject is so complex or diverse to accurately gauge everyone.

The idea of a social hierarchy is ridiculous. There are certain people who make an impact directly and others indirectly... a movie star doesn't achieve greatness without the support of an audience. The fans make the star... no fans, no star.

Even so, people loos sight of that, and the star, the dependent, becomes the independent, and run rampant. It's sort of the argument behind a 'Big Brother' Government: the people make the Government, and not the other way around.*

*Note that I just presented the argument. I don't necessarily support it...

The one who invented the AK-47 is not a rich person, but these assault riffles are the most produced automatic weapon in the world. The problem with a hierarchy or pyramid is that the subject is so complex or diverse to accurately gauge everyone.

I don't see how that ties into discussions about hierarchy. Alfred Kalashnikov (I hope I spelled that correctly :p) produced the original weapon. It's been modified since then. Heavily.

that hierarchy is probably what drives people to aspire to be 'rich' or 'famous' when they're older :xp:

I guess it'll always exist, in some shape or form. it even exists in simple things like school, even if the people at the top aren't necessarily the hard workers, or the people that ultimately lead healthier/better lifestyles.

someone asked me once, after I said I'm not bothered about celebrities 'if you saw a celebrity you wouldn't ask for their autograph?' it's like - what on earth? they're people, not trophies.

In my hierarchy, the people ranked highest would be those that you would like to have the most of in a civilization. I wouldn't want a country full of George W Bush's... how long would that last? I'd say within one day... nuclear winter.

Basically a Democratic hierarchy.

Trust me, there will always be a person who will try to manipulate the system, and ruin the world.

that hierarchy is probably what drives people to aspire to be 'rich' or 'famous' when they're older :xp:

Something like that. I read that Bill Gates was bullied as a child (and, therefore, at the lowest point on the 'pyramid'). I wonder if that had anything with him becoming as successful as he is today (by being the lowest, he 'dreamed' of being the best, and strove to achieve that rank)... ;)

I guess it'll always exist, in some shape or form. it even exists in simple things like school, even if the people at the top aren't necessarily the hard workers, or the people that ultimately lead healthier/better lifestyles.

This definitely happens at school. I'm not bothered by it much, mainly because I don't care about it. I'm happy learning and having a few, close friends. I don't need to be 'cool' or 'popular' to be happy.

someone asked me once, after I said I'm not bothered about celebrities 'if you saw a celebrity you wouldn't ask for their autograph?' it's like - what on earth? they're people, not trophies.

I don't like what our society has done with movie stars and singers (or anybody 'popular,' for that matter), either. We glorify them, and change our lives to revolve around them. It's rather sad, if you're so uncomfortable with yourself that you have to 'adore' a celebrity.

My two cents, though. I'm happy to hear what others think, though. :)

Heirarchic systems are extremely unstable and oftentimes unfair and innefficient. But not to worry. Mark my words- the geeks will rise... :xp:

Problem is that many of them, yesterday's geeks and silver spoons, are currently in charge of things now.....

What happened to "It should be self-evident that all men are created equal"? If that's not true, don't make it seem that it is. There is no right, just, fair, or rights anywhere. It's just a bunch of things that we made up. Don't think people like us have the same chances of success as those that prey of the hard work of others.

Yes, there's a hierarchy. No, it's often not fair--life isn't fair. Sometimes it downright sucks and sometimes it's great. Sometimes people end up in one level when they shouldn't be there, good or bad. I've worked my way up the ladder to get to where I'm at, but I remember where I've been, too, so I don't treat someone 'below' me on the ladder with any less respect, nor do I worship the people on the ladder above me.

I've worked my way up the ladder to get to where I'm at, but I remember where I've been, too, so I don't treat someone 'below' me on the ladder with any less respect, nor do I worship the people on the ladder above me.

Yes, Jae. But another thing school said: "No two snowflakes are alike." And the same can be said about people.

While you may not treat those below you with less respect, or worship those above you, others do. Some at a more degree then others, but some still do.

The idea that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer is true... unfortunately. The ones with the power have the means to influence change and have the means to force the middle class to pay more taxes and for them to receive the breaks. The process creates positive feedback that speeds the process as the wealthy receive more power and the middle and lower class lose their influence on society.

I've worked my way up the ladder to get to where I'm at, but I remember where I've been, too, so I don't treat someone 'below' me on the ladder with any less respect, nor do I worship the people on the ladder above me.

What was that about Ladders, Jae? :xp:

_EW_

Yes, there's a hierarchy. No, it's often not fair--life isn't fair. Sometimes it downright sucks and sometimes it's great. Sometimes people end up in one level when they shouldn't be there, good or bad. I've worked my way up the ladder to get to where I'm at, but I remember where I've been, too, so I don't treat someone 'below' me on the ladder with any less respect, nor do I worship the people on the ladder above me.
Humbleness. God must shine true to you. Allways remember your roots. :) God bless.

Even though social hierarchies exists, I approach the concept with blinders. Jae's perception on life is very humble and honest. I agree with her. Sometimes you get dealt a bad hand, and then good things come out of no where. Back and forth, back and forth. Its all about how you view yourself in the collective.

Archived