Home

Windows Fails ....

.... to install any critical updates for some reason.

A few weeks back (well, maybe it's been a month or 2 now) Windows Update has had problems installing virtually every update it downloads.

I've tried updating one patch at a time, but that doesn't work either.

I've even tried to install the optional downloads, but to no avail.

I've tried to google for some answers as to why this would happen, but I can't make heads of tails from all this. The update list is starting to become rather large, so it's getting difficult to figure out which update that might be causing the problem, if any.

The following list is the Critical Updates that won't install itself:

(keep in mind, my list is in norwegian, so I had to translate the words into english the way I think how it shows up for english people ;) )

- Security-update for Windows XP with Runtime for Windows Media-format 9.5 and 11 (KB941569)

- Update for Windows XP (KB942763)

- Accumilated Security-update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)

- Security-update for Windows XP (KB950762)

- Security-update for Windows XP with Runtime for Windows Media-format 9.5 (KB923689)

- Accumilated Security-update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB950759)

- Security-update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

- Security-update for Windows XP (KB951376)

- Security-update for Windows XP (KB951698)

- Windows-tool for removing harmfull software - July 2008 (KB890830)

- Update for Windows XP (KB951978)

- Security-update for Windows XP (KB951748)

Programs that are optional that fails to install:

- Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1, norwegian

- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)

- Windows Media Player 11

- Microsoft Silverlight 1.0 (KB951213)

- Update of rootsertificats

- Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)

Now, my OS is a pretty brand new installation of Windows XP Home Edition, and has, according to the Windows Update Installation Log, the following updates installed:

- Windows-tool for removing harmfull software – May 2008 (KB890830)

- Security-update for Flash Player (KB923789)

- Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP

- Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)

- Validationtool for Windows Genuine Advantage (KB892130)

- Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

That's it.

Like I said, it's a fairly new installation. :)

So, does anything of this give any of you any clue at all to what the problem could be?!?

And don't say Microsoft, that's not an answer. :D

Atleast not the answer I want. :p

I'd really not want to reinstall this one more time either.

My guess is that since it's a pretty recent install you're missing the most recent validation tool (that "Genuine Advantage" BS) and it's preventing Windows from installing any new updates.

Hit either "Windows Update" or "Microsoft Update" on your Start menu while you're online and it should download the validation tool before anything else.

I could easily be wrong, but that's my guess. ;)

This is why Vista wins over XP...

lolz, cmon...I run 2 vista htpcs, one vista gaming rig, and one vista tablet pc...theres no lack of other validation nightmares and update glitches. My tip: only install an update you have a problem for that the update correct. For most people this generally only means driver updates . if you actually havent had any breaches or virus etc issues. those myriad "security fixes" aren't really that necessary IMO.

@ Jan. we will of course assume this is a legit copy of XP :) if it is that recent, could it be possible that the installation has Service Pack 3 built in. which would mean those updates are built in.

if not, rather than fiddling with those individual updates have you tried actually installing sp3?

mtfbwya

First of all, well of course it's a legit copy. :)

I wouldn't be here asking for help if it wern't.

I would have been stripped of my rank and booted out if that was the case. :D

No, this is in fact a legit copy.

@Astro: As you can see from the latter list I printed, SP3 is already installed.

I don't remember if it came with the disc, however.

Question: If these fixes are already installed, shouldn't Windows Update detect this and not offer me these updates?

I've checked the patch notes for SP3 already, but I cannot find these fixes listed there.

I'm thinking SP3 is the culprit as well, so what I would do is this, remove SP3 (if possible) or roll back to SP2, if that fails to solve it, try and remove whatever updates you have already, starting with the Windows Updates and the Windows Security Updates, working your way back through the list...

I recently had a Windows Security Update kill my internet connection, so I feel your pain!

Once/If you find the culprit, write down exactly what number the update has so you can ban it from ever installing again.

Man, now I'm actually glad that my Automatic Updates absolutely refuses to download SP3. :)

Pfffft. Microsoft. Does anything these guys put out ever work? :p

This is why Vista wins over XP...
Oh, give me a break. :roleyess: I've messed with Vista enough to know that while it's hardly insurmountable, the countless hoops that it makes you jump through in order to do the simplest things place it somewhere between a PITA and a ****ing nightmare. While it's unavoidable if you want DX10, it still fails miserably.

Man, now I'm actually glad that my Automatic Updates absolutely refuses to download SP3. :)

Pfffft. Microsoft. Does anything these guys put out ever work? :p

Oh, give me a break. :roleyess: I've messed with Vista enough to know that while it's hardly insurmountable, the countless hoops that it makes you jump through in order to do the simplest things place it somewhere between a PITA and a ****ing nightmare. While it's unavoidable if you want DX10, it still fails miserably.

Couldn't agree more on both counts Q, I've still got SP2 and it does me just fine, and after my recent Windows-Updates-and-kills-my-internet incident, I've turned off automatic updates and only install them one by one, hand-picked of course, so if anything goes wrong I know what to do...

I've got a copy of SP3 on disc, just in case though :)

Vista is nowhere near better than XP on that matter, the update system is still extremely patronizing and dominant, but that's the "nanny" OS that Vista deemed the consumer worthy of I suppose[/cynical rant]

KB951748

Do not ever install this one!!!

This is the notorious update that breaks your internet connection if you use ZoneAlarm, so god knows what else it "fixes"

If all the others installed fine and Windows Update is off your back then I'd say just leave it there ;)

Always make sure you've got an up-to-date Firewall and Anti-Virus though, and pray that Windows doesn't break them lolz

What I would do is tell windows to advise you of updates but install them one by one manually in the future, so you can easily roll back if something goes belly-up.

Archived