Home

The Great Tribulation? Very Controversal and The Second Coming of Christ (merged)

Arcesious

I'll probably mostly opt out of this topic for the most part, because I have been described by my friends as nearly "intolerantly" athiest, but I just wanted to put it out there that Obama is a human being, not an anti-christ. I hope we all know when to draw the appropriate lines between faith and fact, and know to be responsible and to keep religion an institution of words... not actions.

I'll stop there, I haven't got anything good to say about religion (and I'm falling behind on my politics!). But I just wanted to get that off my shoulders. :p

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe, jonathon has won this thread ;)

Anywho, just because Obama would be the first Black President, doesn't make him the Anti-Christ, people thought the leader of the UN was the Anti-Christ, its all silly. And, despite the thread title, I don't find it that controversial...

Oh, and BTW, yes, I am Catholic.

A few months ago my church thought Putin was the antichrist... Then it was Al Gore, and now Obama...

Well, aside from the refutation of the Tribulation, a good ol' fashioned discussion about which version of beleif of the tribulation is more 'likely' would be interesting...

Well... How did this whole prophecy start, anyways?

(BTW, I said it was controversal because it is such a delecate subject to discuss with certain people.)

A few months ago my church thought Putin was the antichrist... Then it Al Gore, and now Obama...
Sounds like anyone that has a different point of view is the antichrist to them. I wonder what Christ would say about his “so-called” children making such accusations about others. We know they would most likely call Jesus the antichrist for setting down with sinners or for curing those without health care insurance. :xp:

Ok, here's my ten cents.

The biggest reason I can see for people thinking Obama is the Antichrist, is his big involvement with UN and quest for peace. The antichrist will sign a treaty for seven years of peace in israel...

also, I John 2:18 (NIV) "... and as you have heard, the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come..."

So it is possible Obama is an antichrist and not the antichrist.

Biblical interpretations of the books of Daniel, Revelation, and others

As for interpretations, there are atleast 4 versions of tribulation and rapture that i know of. We are only human, we can make mistakes.

Well, come one!!! Antichrist and such... Bulls*!t... Worry about something else. I don't understand why almost of the faithful Christians take the bible as a fact. The Bible is a big metaphor, with stories you should learn things from. You shouldn't believe that the Arch Of Noe really existed. Or that Somora and Gomora were destroyed by a meteorite shower. God just wanted to tell us what he does when we go overboard. You shouldn't believe that the guys wife really turn into stone, IF their town was destroyed and IF there was that family God had mercy for and ... God just wanted to tell us what He does to us when He gives us second chances and we don't obey Him. Take the Bible as a big metaphor and lesson.

And there is a chance the apocalypse is coming, though it isn't as it is described in the Bible. Do you know that in the current speed of which global worming evolves, in 15 years Earth may be totally changed, flooded at the ocean cost-lines, burnt at the rain forests, the Amazon dry, the nord part of Canada will be one of the best places for agriculture by current standards, that in central Europe, the average heat-which lasts all the year- will be of 50* C, New York, LA, Bangladesh, France, Italy, Holland, Miami etc will be submerged under water??? This should concern you! You know that if you and all the LF-ers unplug the furniture you don't currently use, you will delay with years all this to happen? Also did you know that by doing this you give money to the government, thus when they will see they could get more rich out of this they will approve the plans the scientists have cooked up to save our diseased planet?

The American government hasn't sign one pact of ONU which implies the try to minimize the pollution, you knew that???

Talk about serious stuff please!!! You should tell the guyz in your church to do something about the Global Warming and after it, if we pas it, to star worrying about the Antichrist!

also, I John 2:18 (NIV) "... and as you have heard, the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come..."
Would it help to point out that John was gnostic and that gnostic writings make scientology appear tame and well thought out in comparison? I know that a vast majority of people are at least familiar with the themes of the book of revelation, but how many have actually read it? Now how many have actually read it and still think it was written by someone we should listen to?

A few months ago my church thought Putin was the antichrist... Then it was Al Gore, and now Obama...

That should tell you something about your church - although you've already broken from it, it seems.

Just know that not all Christians are this ridiculously stupid.

Ok, here's my ten cents.

The biggest reason I can see for people thinking Obama is the Antichrist, is his big involvement with UN and quest for peace. The antichrist will sign a treaty for seven years of peace in israel...

Which in itself is not inherently a bad thing ;)

No, not really possible.

{ridiculous offtopic rant snipped}

Thanks for your derailing of this thread into global warming. The fact that you're sleeping with Al Gore doesn't really affect the Tribulation.

Would it help to point out that John was gnostic and that gnostic writings make scientology appear tame and well thought out in comparison? I know that a vast majority of people are at least familiar with the themes of the book of revelation, but how many have actually read it? Now how many have actually read it and still think it was written by someone we should listen to?

At least one has read it ;)

As for believing it.... take it with a grain of salt. Or the Pacific Ocean.

_EW_

Just know that not all Christians are this ridiculously stupid

One of those would be me ;)

Oh, and BTW, I've read Revelations, not that big a deal.

Thanks for your derailing of this thread into global warming. The fact that you're sleeping with Al Gore doesn't really affect the Tribulation.

:lol:

That was hilarious to read

Hmmm...wouldn't that be impossible considering that new people are born every second? Seems like logistics alone would make that one difficult. Plus the fact that the influence of islam is growing, etc.

Well, depends how things go, right now the Church is doing rather a good job here of fdestroying it's self. I'd actually say I think Islam growing would more be a back up to my theory than a hindrance. I think that quite a few people will be shocked by who is and isn't in heaven; I don't mean to sound clichéd here, but how many people who say they are Christians are actually Christians? I mean Jesus didn't really seem to like religious people. I say this because I would say that the sure sign of if someone is really following Jesus or not is how they act towards there enemies; do they love there enemies? Or not? Do they bless those who persecute them, or not? (side note: note that the Bible says to judge by fruit, hint: not doctrinal basis). Then consider the following;

I quite like John Sentamu's sentiments on the subject - (when asked about woman bishops and gay clergy here replied along these lines); millions of people don't know Jesus, millions die in Africa every day - I think there are more important things in the world to worry about. That said unfortunately many don't seem to share.

And we eventually have I suppose come back to my original statement along these lines;

Many problems of the world basically boil down to people trying to aggressively force their views onto others via force.

I could buy that--I think He'd like to give everyone every possible opportunity. However, since I don't know when that would be, I'll just keep trying (with varying degrees of success/failure) to do the work He's set out for me to do. If He comes back soon, great, if He doesn't, I've hopefully lived a long productive life and look forward to seeing Him in heaven.

Most of my friends don't know Jesus, so my preference is for him to give them as much time as possible; preferably with a few miracles thrown in.

I don't mean to sound clichéd here, but how many people who say they are Christians are actually Christians?

I know I certainly am. :|

Many problems of the world basically boil down to people trying to aggressively force their views onto others via force.

...Luckily I've never been on the giving (nor the receiving) end of this action.

Most of my friends don't know Jesus, so my preference is for him to give them as much time as possible; preferably with a few miracles thrown in.

As long as they know the Word, you can't force them to accept it. You can only wait for them to decide to want to know God.

Nice! Now that's the kind of reality check that all these Jesus loving right-wingers need. Especially in this day and age. :D

What the hell? I'm a Jesus-loving conservative democrat.

This comment was ridiculous.

However, the people who read the bible word for word and treat it as absolute are misguided, IMHO. Anything written by humans is bound to be jaded by the fact that it was written from a human point of view with human biases.

{preemptive snip}

No need to retaliate. :)

One of those would be me ;)

Are you saying you're a Christian? Because I am too. Or are you saying that you believe that Obama's the Antichrist?

If that's the case, then.... :/

_EW_

Well I wouldn't call my church all that irrational... They've always said that they think 'insert name' might be the antichrist. My pastor is pretty smart when it comes to this theology such as this, so I'd at the very best say they're a little bit rash with their conclusions. They're not all to different than Christians on this forum. But, besides that, I thought it would be interesting to debate which one of the sides of the tribulation prophecy is more 'likely'.

Well I wouldn't call my church all that irrational... They've always said that they think 'insert name' might be the antichrist.

No offense, but I think I would.

They're not all to different than Christians on this forum.

I beg to differ ;)

Perhaps you're talking about others here besides me; perhaps you're saying that your church is overall not like this, just that your pastor is a bit odd. I'm not sure which.

But, besides that, I thought it would be interesting to debate which one of the sides of the tribulation prophecy is more 'likely'.

You'll have to expand. Explain what you think the "sides" are.

_EW_

edit: :lol: @ mimartin. Quicker fingers ;)

Actually that isn't what you said, but if you're telling me that's what you meant, then I'll accept that.
OK, I said "I don't think". It was still qualified.

Sure Jae, I'd be more than happy to discuss the tribulation and revelation with you. Perhaps the best place we could begin is the authors and why it is that we should accept their writings.

Why? You're never going to accept their writings anyway, so I suspect it'd be a waste of time. You subscribe to a ultra-liberal view of the Bible that is not accepted by most serious Biblical scholars. I don't agree with either your views on the Bible or your sourcing of those views.

Matthew 16:28?

Matthew 16:28!

"There be some standing here which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in His kingdom"
Well, they saw Christ return after resurrection to His spiritual kingdom. John was allowed to see a preview of Christ's second return. Either or both could apply. I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

This is the passage I was referring to:

42"Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming.

43"But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what time of the night the thief was coming, he would have been on the alert and would not have allowed his house to be broken into.

44"For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will.

Unless of course you're one of those that accept salvation via faith. But that's a different discussion.
Justification by faith does not remove our responsibility to do good works. A Christian who thinks they can just sit back and do nothing because they're saved by faith is mistaken.

What the hell? I'm a Jesus-loving conservative democrat.

This comment was ridiculous.

I totally agree and share a similar outlook.

So please explain to me how Obama, who has professed faith in and love for Christ, could possibly be an antichrist. I don't agree with everything Obama or McCain do politically, but that has nothing to do with their religious views. I'd argue that Obama has tried to put his faith into action by championing social issues that are designed to make people's lives better and thus could not possibly be an antichrist.

John was most certainly not a Gnostic. All you have to do is read the Gospel of John to know that he's not a Gnostic. No serious Biblical scholar has ever even suggested John was a Gnostic--that's left to some liberal fringe types who are uncomfortable with either Christ's divinity or His humanity, or both.

I've read Revelation a number of times. I view it as written by a guy who was shone things from the future and had to try to explain it in language that his contemporaries could understand. How would someone from the 1600's who was shown a glimpse of the 21st century handle explaining ICUs, TVs, computers, the internet, credit cards, ATM machines, atomic bombs, DNA or even cars to someone else from the 1600's? It'd be pretty tough.

Discussions primarily in Daniel and in Revelation, with some scriptures from the Gospels and other smaller portions in the rest of the New Testament (e.g. 1 Thess 4).

I'm an athiest, but I'm not going to hold back what I've learned from a Christian perpective where it's useful for discussion. I have to agree with Jae here... However, it sounds to me like a lot of people beleive in the salvation by works system, if I've heard right. From a theological perspective, I'd argue that all it takes is faith in Jesus Christ to go to heaven. Granted, it's considered very important to do 'good' things, such as devote everything you do to God. Salvation by works is inneficient.

According to the Bible, everyone sins, and it's impossible for any normal human to not sin at least once in their life. Saying that you have to be 'in fellowship' in order to stay saved is rediculous, because it's innefficient. In and out of salvation (Eternal life), back and forth, in a system of salvation by works is pointless.

Let's say someone has been a Christian all their life. The second before he/she dies, that person sins. According to the salvation by works theory, that would mean that they don't go to heaven. There are things I've learned from my pastor, two of which are Human good and Divine good. Very interesting to read about, which are key principals in relation to this...

Achilles made some good points about apocolyptic prophecies, but I'm sure we all have heard such arguments before and that they have been discussed. But now I think it would be interesting to approach this argument from an opposite view from my professed one.

(Why I'm debating for the Christian side right now is because I thought it would be an interesting experience to learn from for me to do so whilst still being athiest.)

<snip>

From my perspective, I am saved by Jesus grace, and because of the love has shown me, I try to show that to others.

From my perspective there is the 'freedom of love' Christians should apply, and then there is religious law many use instead. The former sets you and others free, the latter restricts, and ultimately people fall short of their own religious law (that they often apply to others).

From my perspective, I am saved by Jesus grace, and because of the love has shown me, I try to show that to others.

If Jesus loves you, why does he make you call him 'grace'? Heaven would be a democracy for us westerners, right? No kings, no snobby dead martyrs?

Why do you feel it is your obligation to preach Jesus to others? If others care, they'll convert their own. I've always believed public preaching should be treated as a public indecency.

Archived