Home

A Dark Path

Revenge is a dangerous ally – yet, it can also be a dangerous enemy.

Blindness, anger, hate, pain: tools of the Dark Side.

A Jedi chooses his path, but this path can have many forked roads that lead to even more diverse patterns. It is just up to you to choose the right way to find your destination.

Just hope that nothing deters you on your way there…

Prologue: Farewell

He laid her body down softly. Even now, when all light had faded from her eyes, her spirit still lingered in his grasp. Even now, as he made the lids of her eyes cover her pupils, he still thought that what he had done was not wrong. In the sense of right and wrong, who was he to judge? His life had been a constant trial of decisions that would affect the supposed balance of right and wrong.

He looked around. This place was so different than what it was only a few minutes before. He did not know why, or how, but his mind had finally made him realize that he was truly alone and that nothing he could do would ever be able to change that. Standing up, he unhitched a long silver hilt from his belt and stared at it for the longest of times. Kneeling back down, he placed the hilt in her right hand. Bringing it up and making her left hand overlap her right, he made her as if she would only be sleeping to the unknowing eye.

Holding back any emotion that could betray his stoic façade, he whispered something in her ear. These words left more of an impact on him than he could ever have thought, but still, he said them. He was not ashamed. He was not angry. He was ironically - for the first time in an eternity – at peace.

Even though he whispered these words, they reverberated around the walls as if he had screamed then. He winced, but smiled nonetheless.

As if in answer, a breeze rustled its way through his hair. He felt the back of his head with his hand. He could have sworn . . .

“Master?” came a soft voice behind him. He turned and sat down on the cold floor next to her body and stared at the intruder.

“What is it?” he asked. His voice as he spoke could hardly even be called a whisper, and yet, the person in front of him winced as though they had been scolded.

“Is it really true?”

“Yes, my dear. It is.”

The person closed their eyes and he saw a tear fall from their cheek.

“Do not be troubled by these events,” he said. “Your mother has not died in vain, for her death would be the cause of a great ripple that will soon cast its arm to its full length and spread itself like a plague upon this galaxy. My promise is this: I will kill all those who were responsible, I will kill all those who will stand in my way, I will kill all those who are weak enough to fall to the dangers that befall over this home of ours.”

“How can you avenge her death and kill the one responsible, when the one responsible is in this room?”

“Aleira,” he said. The forcefulness of his voice made her take a step backwards. “I did not kill her, and neither did you.”

“I do not believe that,”

“Not now, but soon you will know the truth of what really transpired here.”

“But, Father,” the little girl, stammered. “Why can you not tell me now?”

“You are not ready,”

“I am so!”

“Do not argue with me or you will be punished…”

This threat left a deadly silence. “What has happened to you, father?” Saria asked softly. Her voice was scared, hurt and sad. He could not blame her.

“I have been reborn,” he said. “My life’s path has finally been lain before me in a clear view. I will leave shortly, and if you wish, you will accompany me. I will continue to teach you the ways of the Force, if you so desire. But when the time comes, I will not hold back with you.”

Aleira nodded.

Her father stood to his full height and walked towards her. Kneeling in front of her he placed both his hands on her shoulders. “You are my daughter,” he said. “I will train you to become a formidable warrior, and one day you will be able to kill me. This I know, but this I do not worry for. I worry for will you be able to force yourself to strike me down? Will you be able to be strong enough to relieve me of this mantle and take it for your own?” When she did not answer, he asked again, this time his voice raised. “Will you?”

She flinched, but nodded hastily.

“Good,” he replied. “Now, our journey has already begun. We will tend to your mother, and then we will search for him. The man who killed Bastila.”

“Who killed her?” asked Aleira: Her voice now as stoic as his.

“The Exile.” He replied.

No other words were spoken as he lifted up his wife’s body. But as he walked with his daughter out into their home on the plains of Dantooine, Revan heard the distinct words he had whispered only minutes ago in Bastila’s ear. But this time, they were not spoken by his voice.

“. . . I love you . . .”

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this was very emotional Mr_BFA. So Revan and Bastilla had kids and now Revan is going to hunt down the exile? Very original and exciting concept. Well done! This has definatly caught my attention: hook line and sinker. As Bini said this prologue had a good twist. If this is the prologue, I can just imagine how exciting the story will be...

Also enjoyd that italicized bit at the very begining, itset the mood well. Can´t wait for chapter 1 - Happy writing!

-HOP

Interesting chapter. I guess I don't understand the emotions or lack of them in certain instances. I suppose that in Revan were the dark lord, he would be more vengeful. Bastila would have been his lover or a great asset that he wouldn't easily be able to part with. I also don't know how the child would also be so stoic at what she witnessed.

Odds are I simply don't know everything, but it was a great intro.

Chapter One: With Heavy Hearts

One lie just ended up in growing into another. And then another; then another; until all what remained was what used to be the truth. For such a thing as death, an inevitable truth: the lies were that somehow, one could postpone their death until they saw fit. Such a horrible lie it was.

“But isn’t the truth itself a lie, until the lie within the truth can be proven?”

“Possibly,” nodded Revan. “But the latter can be switched to fit for the truth within the lie, Aleira. Not everything is a lie.” Revan stared at his dark headed daughter intently. “Except everything I tell you, of course.”

Aleira stared back at her father in confusion. “What do you mean?” she demanded. “Tell me what you meant by that, father!”

This defiance and temper intrigued and annoyed Revan at the same time. She should not be holding her anger in, but she should not be able to dare talk to him like this. “You talk to me like that again,” he whispered menacingly, “and I will break your mind into more pieces than you will be able to handle.”

Her eyes softened and her resolve faded slightly. “Then I shall wait for the right time.” She answered.

“Indeed,” agreed Revan. “That is enough for now however I think. Tend to your designated quarters Aleira, meditate on what I have told you, and I will come to get you when we are nearing our destination.”

Aleira obeyed her father and walked out of the cargo hold, leaning a practice double-blade stave against the wall as she went. Revan composed himself more fully. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He could feel his desire for revenge, and that had built upon itself into layers and layers of hatred over the past few weeks. This ship was starting to get to him. He needed to leave, to walk upon earth again. Soon.

But, in truth, his search for the Exile had gone awry. He had left for Coruscant, only to find the Jedi Temple completely deserted. He left to Korriban, only to find the Academy completely destroyed. The Valley of the Dark Lords completely covered in debris. This confusion ebbed its way from his mind and crawled its way into his chest. Something was happening in the Galaxy once more. This just angered him more. He felt that with the defeat of the True Sith, not even ten years ago, his path of war and battles had finally found its resting place. How naive a hope for freedom can be, it seemed.

The Ebon Hawk was – in the nicest possible way put – going on ancient. Her hull was degrading, and the weapons were out-of-date. He loved this ship however, and that was why he had kept it for so long. After everything he and her and been through, he started to think the ship itself was a person. He walked out into the Main Hold. This was where Zaalbar had once stood. That fool of a wookiee. He admired Zaalbar. His loyalty would have gotten much further than it did if he had not died. Revan knew that he had a life debt, but never though of it to be such a serious thing. His arrogance, however, was surely noticed when Zaalbar had taken a laser bolt for him when he had had troubles back on Dantooine with some raiders.

These raiders were looking to usurp Revan of his land; the land that he had worked hard for. This was not something that he took kindly too.

He defended his land, but the raiders were adding up to be too much. Even for an Ex-Jedi. Zaalbar went into a rage and lunged himself at the raiders. All Revan could remember of the encounter now however, was a bolt flying towards him, and the great fur of Zaalbar covering his vision. He remembered yelling, Aleira screaming and Bastila crying out in anguish. Aleira loved Zaalbar almost as much as her own father. Revan sometimes thought that maybe she had loved Zaalbar more than him.

He pushed those thoughts from his mind and walked on through to the cockpit. Where Carth and Bastila mainly stayed in the voyage for the Star Forge.

Revan always wondered why everybody used to stay in the same spot. Was it probably because that’s where they felt most at home? Or they just picked a spot at random?

Confusing thoughts indeed.

Revan checked the galaxy map. It was still likely to be a few hours before they reached their next destination. As mush as he didn’t like the idea, he decided he would wile away the time by meditating. And perhaps some sleep also …

It was dark. No light could be seen as the trees grew so close together that none of the above moonlight ever dared to try and breach the seemingly impenetrable canopy. The dense forest was a place of evil. He could sense it. The beasts that lurked just behind the edges of his vision, growled ominously at him from above, to the sides and even the ground seemed uneasy about his presence.

A slithering sound could be heard, and when he brought the glow-rod down to view the ground, a large snake came into view. He jumped backwards in surprise but the snake took no notice of him. It kept on slithering along the ground as if no disturbances were occurring whatsoever. He followed it. Determined to know what secrets this snake knew.

They moved together, side-by-side for what seemed like half of an hour, and then they came to a clearing; a gigantic lake of immeasurable width and volume sat itself not even twenty feet away. The snake continued onwards until it reached the bank. It stopped right at the edge of the water, and for a second he thought that the snake would turn back, but instead it plunged into the steady water.

He followed it. The water was surprisingly warm; such a curious thing on a night where your very breath turned into a ghostly mist before your very eyes. He followed. They moved until when he turned his head, the trees were not to be seen, and his feet not touch the bottom. A soft current started to wind itself this way and that, and, going by the movement of the snake, he let it take him.

As the minutes ticked by, the current became stronger and much faster. Then all of a sudden, he felt a great lurch and was pulled sharply to the side. Rapids were pushing him downwards, but he kept himself above water above considerable strain. Then he fell. Fell into an even deeper darkness that the glow rod could not penetrate. His feet hit solid ground and he collapsed.

Breathing heavily, he looked around. A faint light was glowing from the ground only some ten meters away. He crawled the rest of the way and peered into the hole. A pond of clear liquid sat in the hole. It was completely still. But when he looked down into the water, he jumped backwards for the face what he saw, was not his own. But someone completely different …

Revan awoke in a cold sweat. He was shaking and when he went to get up, he vomited over the cold steel floor. Breathing heavily, he placed his head in his hands and tried to steady his breaths. That was not a normal dream. He hadn’t felt dreams like these since he had the ones of Bastila defeating him on his flagship at the beginning of the Star Forge quest. It felt like he was actually there. Though, he had no idea where that was. But he knew whom the man was that had peered into the clear pond.

“Jonas,” he said to himself. “What are you up to?”

Aleira walked in but abruptly stopped at the entrance and peered at the floor, then at her father. “What’s going on?” she asked. “Are you, OK?”

“I’m fine,” he replied. “Just a dream.”

He stood and carefully trod around the puddle of bile and walked into the cargo hold where he grabbed a bucket, sponge and various cleaning products. He proceeded back into the dormitory and started to clean up his mess.

“What did you dream about?” asked Aleira.

“It is of no importance,” answered Revan, continuing to concentrate on the puddle in front of him.

“Mother would have told me,” she said. “Even if she didn’t think it was important, she would have told me,”

Revan sighed. “Jonas,” he said. “I have no idea where he is, but I get the feeling he is looking for something.”

“How do you know that?” asked his daughter raising a sceptical eyebrow.

“I don’t,” admitted Revan. “But ever since our journeys together in the Wars, we have developed a bond of sorts.”

“A Force Bond?” asked Aleira

“Perhaps,” shrugged Revan. “But maybe not. It feels like something completely different.”

“But you didn’t see where he was?”

“No,”

Aleira made an impatient clicking sound with her tongue. Revan looked up at her, annoyed.

“I cannot control what the Force decides to show me any more than make it show me what it decides to hide from me!” he snapped. “Now go back and get some rest.”

Aleira stood only for a hesitant second more. As she turned, Revan saw a tear fall from her face and land on the cold floor below.

With another sigh, he himself closed his eyes to fight against the sudden burning of his eyes. If only it had been him and not Bastila.

Ah, a good first chapter Mr_BFA!

I like how real Revan is, he cares for his daughter but is rather blunt with her. Aw big Z died? :( I liked the bit about Aleira liking big Z and Revan wondering why the party always stayed in the same spots.

I assume Jonas is the Exile? Anyway, this was a well written chapter and this fic is off to a great start! Keep it up!

-HOP

'Revan always wondered why everybody used to stay in the same spot. Was it probably because that’s where they felt most at home? Or they just picked a spot at random?

Confusing thoughts indeed.'

:lol:

another great installment :) I loved the description in the dream, and definitely created a perfect image.

*pats on back*

Chapter Two: Dreams and Reality

“Care not for me,

Take notice of our child.

Her hate and sorrow blends into one,

Save her, before it is too late.”

Revan was in the stage of being in between sleep and awake as he heard these words. Slowly, he sat up in his bunk and stared at the wall. The voice was soft and pure, like the sunlight behind the light clouds of the Dantooine landscape. It was a voice of beauty it seemed, but not for the reasons that came into Revan’s mind.

There was a terrible lure to the voice. It was pained. It was hurt, and it was dark. This was not the voice of his wife however. He bowed his head.

“Bastila,” he whispered. “I can not do this alone. Aleira is too much like you. She is strong willed, and smart. I fear that my presence is not what she is after.”

“She loves you.

You know this.

You have to believe.

She loves you.”

“Bastila?” said Revan, bemused.

There was no reply.

He sighed and stood. He walked out of the dormitory and down through the main hallway until he reached the Main Hold. He made his way across until he walked past the loading ramp, but stopped just before the entrance to the second dormitory of the ship. There was a soft, muffled sound of a child crying.

Revan closed his eyes and listened.

“Mother,” cried the voice quietly. “Why did you leave me? Wasn’t I good enough for you to stay? Did you not love me enough? If I change, will you come back?”

Revan slowly walked forwards. All anger evaporated from his heart at the sight of his daughter. Curled up in her bunk, her small body trembling. He walked over the threshold and said quietly: “She will not come back,”

Aleira looked up and sat up quickly. She went to wipe the tears out of her eyes but Revan said, “stop.”

She looked up at him and he smiled softly. “May I sit?” he asked.

Aleira nodded and Revan sat next her. He wrapped a caring arm around her. “Aleira, your mother loved you more than life itself. She would have done anything for you. Bastila has gone on into the Force. But her spirit remains. She will always be with you Aleira.” His heart began to fill with anger. “But the reason as to why we cannot see her in flesh and bone is still out there, and still needs to be dealt with. Jonas will pay for his crime Aleira, I promise you that.”

“Jonas,” she whispered. Revan looked down at her. Her face was again hardened. A tear squeezed itself down her face and fell softly in her lap. “If you do not kill him, Father,” she said. “Then I will.”

Revan nodded. But secretly hoped in his heart that it would not come to that. Bastila asked him to take care of her. Her path was closely following parallel to his own, and Revan could not risk having his daughter become a monster. His last piece of compassion upon this Galaxy will be to leave Aleira to lead a caring life. Helping those who are in need. If Revan allowed her to kill Jonas, then that path would be destroyed.

It was time then, he decided, to prove to Aleira that actions have reactions and decisions had consequences.

“Come, Aleira,” he said. “I need to show you something.”

They walked into the Main Hold. Neither of them said a word to each other, for still the grief was still too near. Even after the weeks that seemed to just fly by without a care.

Revan stopped at the holoprojector. He clicked a few of the buttons, and a couple of seconds later, a planet rose from the bottom of the machine and appeared in front of them. Floating aimlessly.

“This,” said Revan, “was Malachor V before the Mandalorian Wars had reached there.”

It was a shadowy planet, but intact. Nothing seemed wrong with the picture, but Aleira knew that looks could be deceiving. This planet was evil.

He clicked another button, and the planet disappeared to be replaced only by a broken, terrifying view of what it was now. “This is after the war,” explained Revan. Aleira’s eyes widened, and she looked up at her father.

“What happened?” she asked.

“I gave the order for the Mass Shadow Generator to be activated,” said Revan. “It used the planets gravity to increase the unique gravitation fields that surrounded the planet. It drew the ships in and destroyed everything in its range. It completely crushed the Mandalorians and close to three quarters of my own fleet.

“After it happened, I could not believe the power behind it. It was more than what I could have hoped for. The Mandalorians were destroyed and the war was finally over. It was a glorious day in the dark history of our Galaxy.”

“Why are you showing me this?” asked Aleira.

“I am showing you because you are my daughter and you deserve to know what I have done. I have done terrible things, Aleira. Some I am ashamed of, only because of the necessity of the action. There could have been other ways to counterattack the Mandalorian threat, but I chose to use the most direct, dangerous and barbaric angle of them all.”

“It was not your fault,” she said, apparently trying to console him. Revan laughed.

“It was, and is my fault, Aleira,” he said. “Have you not understood this lesson yet? My decision acted as a conduit for my later decisions and triumphs. I could do no wrong. I was all-powerful. All up, that is, until your mother captured me.” He smirked. “The first time I had ever seen her since we trained at the academy together and even then I knew she was destined for great things. I just didn’t know that one of those great things was to capture me,”

He looked down at his daughter. Her resemblance to Bastila was astonishing. It was like looking into the younger version of her. “Your mother was one of the strongest women I have ever known. She died for you. She died to save you so that you would be able to do great things. She knew where your path would eventually lead you. And I am scared, and sad to know that I may have an idea as to where that will be also.”

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“Just remember this,” he said, apparently not hearing what she was saying. “Everything I tell you is a lie, and a truth; it’s just up to you to distinguish which is truth and that which is not. You will understand what I mean in due time. My mind is made up. My future has been set in motion, and all decisions have led me to this point. My bad ones, and my good ones,” He stared at his daughter. “I love you, and I will always be here for you. And when I am gone, and you remain, promise me that whatever happens, you will always think of the good times our family had together. Don’t go down the path I took so long ago, and that of which, I fear, I may be strolling to close to even now. You are much better than that. You are a lot smarter than even I.”

Aleira stared back at her father. “Everything you tell me is a lie, and a truth,”

Revan nodded. “Everything, and yet, nothing at all what I say is a lie, nor a truth.”

Aleira frowned slightly. “I hope that I understand you correctly, father.”

“You will,” nodded Revan. He smiled softly. “In time, you shall understand.”

“Revan!” cried out Jonas from the other side of the room. “Watch out, he’s right behind you!”

Revan ducked just time to feel the very tips of his hair detach themselves from his head by the energy blade. He brought his own purple blade around and swept at his enemy’s legs. They back flipped and in doing so, landed a kick to Revan’s face. The force was not strong to break his nose, but he saw tiny white stars nonetheless.

“You are talented, Revan,” sneered the hooded figure; he turned on the spot and with a wave of his cloak, he was gone again.

“Stop running and fight me!” shouted Revan.

“Coward!” cried Jonas: His crimson blade shining in the dim lighting of the chamber.

There was a deep laughter… then darkness …

Revan woke to hearing the warning noises of the ship that usually let him know that they were coming up on their destination. He walked to the cockpit, closely followed by his daughter.

The Ebon Hawk exited Hyperspace and a planet full of lush green terrain came into view. There was a large mass of blue surrounding the planet. Clouds curled in circles and other unusual shapes and sizes around the planet.

“Where are we?” asked Aleira

“It doesn’t have a name,” said Revan. “From what I know of anyway,”

“Then how did you know how to get here?”

“This was where the War against the True Sith took place.”

Aleira looked at her father, who continued to stare at the planet. She had never heard of him speak so much a whisper of his fight against the True Sith. All she knew was that it took place in the Unknown Regions.

“Why are we here?” she asked.

“I felt drawn to it,” replied Revan. “Jonas came here, I am sure of it. Not too long ago either, I think.” He looked down at his daughter. “Want to do the honours?” he asked. She looked back, bewildered. “Me?” she squeaked. “Fly the ship?”

“You have to learn sometime,” smiled Revan. “Come on, up you get!” He lifted her up and placed her in the cockpit chair. “Take us down near the east side of that land mass,” he said, pointing. He smirked, then added: “Captain!”

She smiled and gradually eased the ship forwards towards the planet. It was a slower ride to that if Revan was piloting, but he did not mind. It was fun watching his daughter grow. Flying the ship, she eased them into the atmosphere exceptionally well considering it was her first time. There were hardly any re-entry shakes and spills than what there normally would have been. She lead the ship towards the point where Revan specified and landed, with a dull thud that made Revan nearly topple into the co-pilots seat.

“Oops,” she said. Revan laughed. “That was much better than my first try!” he said.

“What happened to you?” she asked.

“Well,” Revan said. “Let’s just say that after I woke up a week later, I awoke to the news that my brand new ship had found its way on top of the spare parts pile at the local scrap tip.”

Aleira laughed.

Revan smiled and lead the way to the loading ramp. He lowered it and walked down until his feet hit the earth below. It had a familiar feeling to it, but at the same time, it was completely different to what he remembered.

“What do you hope to find here?” asked Aleira.

“Whatever Jonas was searching for,” replied Revan. “I finally remembered where I seen him in the dream I had. Come,” he said. “It is close to half a days walk to where we are heading. No ship can get there,” he added as he guessed his daughters thoughts. “We need to get supplies, and then we need to start moving. It is a long and dangerous trek through the Forest. Many evils lurk there. And a fear that the day is wearing on,” he looked up to the sky. The sun was already halfway through its descent. It would be dark within a matter of hours. “Time to go,”

Aleira nodded and walked back into the ship with Revan.

Don't know if I've seen the title name before... :S

[i probably do sub-consciously though :lol:]

And thanks again. Already nearly completed Chapter 3, but that won't be posted till another couple of days most likely.

EDIT: Hahaha, okie dokie. I just seen it. :lol: Oops..

:clap2: I like where this story is going. Revan´s dialogue is very well written. The comparison of Aleira to Bastila, and Revans thoughts on them both were full of emotion. Well done! Though I have limited computer time at the moment, I´ll be sure to keep my eye out for the next installment.

can´t wait!

-HOP

Chapter Three: The Waters of Truth

Three agonizing hours they trekked over hills and around cliffs. Revan was starting to wonder if he even remembered where the Forest sat. They came out of a mouth of a long, winding cavern and found themselves staring into a landscape of a forest of brown trees. The sky was darkening to a light blue-greenish hue. No clouds were around at all.

“Are they dead?” asked Aleira as she stood next to Revan, looking at the great mass of trees.

“No,” he answered. “The pigments of colour are affected somehow by the ground below. I am not exactly sure how it works, but I think, if my memory serves me well, the trees eat the leaves. They travel through the trunk of the trees until the reach the branches. There they sit.”

“Who told you that?” asked Aleira incredulously.

“The trees told me.” Revan said. Without elaborating, Revan said, “come on. And be careful, this path is old and treacherous; watch your step.”

Aleira followed him carefully.

Revan kept looking for safe looking places so he could place his feet firmly without falling. A couple of times his foot slipped and he slid a few centimetres: His heart skipping a beat every time he did so. It took them close to an hour to safely navigate their way down the slope. When they reached the bottom, Aleira slumped down on a boulder and took out a flask of water and took a long swig out of it. When she finished, she smacked her lips and gave out a loud burp. Revan looked at her with an eyebrow raised. She smiled mischievously and muttered, “excuse me.”

Revan looked back to the forest. The trees were larger than life now compared to what they were when they looked from the top of the slope.

“We shall rest here for the night,” he said. “Stay close and do not wander off, OK?”

Aleira nodded.

Revan sat down with his back against a large boulder. Taking the pack he had filled in the ship, Revan pulled out a thick blanket and threw it over himself and Aleira.

He had no sleep that night. Aleira breathed softly next to him, and he kept finding himself looking around their ‘camp’. Expecting something, or someone, to jump out and attack. But for all of the watching he did, he might as well have tried to fight the molecules of the air.

Before he knew it, the sun was already rising beyond the hills in the distance. A red outline stretched its fingers outwards in the sky.

“Not a good start,” murmured Revan. He softly nudged Aleira awake, who slowly opened her eyes and rubbed the sleep out of them

“Time to go already?” she asked.

“Yes,” said Revan as he packed the blanket back into his pack. “We’re almost there. But stick to the path, and never go out of eyesight. Understand?”

Aleira nodded.

After a small breakfast consisting of only a few biscuits and some water they continued walking. The entrance to the forest stood ominously as an archway of entwined branch and leaf. The different shades of brown working together to create an illusion of a green that was not there.

“Interesting,” said Revan to himself as they entered; Aleira let out a small gasp when they past the great trees. “Look at them!” she whispered. “I never knew trees could get so tall!”

“Be careful,” cautioned Revan. “The trees are not like the ones at home.”

“In what way?” asked Aleira.

“In that way -,” said Revan pointing to a tree in the distance.

The tree was shuddering slightly, and then all of a sudden, the shade of brown on the leaves turned to a shocking lime green. Aleira let out another gasp. “How did it do that?” she said loudly.

Revan smiled. “Even I do not know,” he replied. “This forest is dangerous, but miraculous all the same.” He continued to walk onwards. As they continued their trek the trees started to grow closer together, and Revan knew that they were getting closer to their destination. An hour walk, and it seemed that night had decided to come early. No light could be seen, and Revan had to light a glow rod. He gave one to Aleira also so that she would not get lost in the darkness. They walked forwards and that’s when the noises started to happen.

Hisses; slithering; chirping; growls and screeches echoed loudly in the still darkness. “Do not listen to them,” said Revan loudly to Aleira. “Just listen to my voice! We are almost there!”

“I’m scared!” came the reply. And indeed her voice was shaking. Revan placed a caring hand on her shoulder as they walked.

“Listen to me!” he said. “I will not let anything happen to you. Just keep walking!” It was then he felt something glide against his foot. He looked down and noticed the gigantic snake he had seen in his dream. He heard Aleira screamed, but quickly stopped her. “It is alright. I will not hurt us. It is a guardian of this forest. It will lead us to where we need to go.”

They continued to walk until they came to a sudden clearing. The moon hung gloriously as she flashed her face down upon them. How long had they been walking? A great lake formed in front of them. The snake went to the very edge and prepared to dive in.

“Wait!” yelled Revan. The snake turned its head and peered back at Revan. “Is this bank safe?” The snake nodded its gigantic head. “Will my daughter be safe if she stays here?” he asked the snake again, and again, it nodded its head.

“What are you doing?” hissed Aleira. “I am not staying here by myself!”

“You will be safe,” said Revan. “I told you that I would keep you safe and this I think, is the best way to do that. You will not be harmed here, this I believe.”

Aleira glared, but did not dare to argue against her father more. She nodded without saying a word and sat down on the dark sand. Revan looked at his daughter and noted the defiance in her form. He smiled. He resembled so much of her mother, and yet, it seemed that she inherited his intolerance at being told what to do. He turned and walked to the edge of the water and stood ext to the snake.

“Ready whenever you are,” he said. The snake looked at him, and then dove into the dark water. Revan followed suite.

It was a lot warmer than he had expected. He swam breaststroke for longer than he dared to remember. Following the trails of disturbed water from the snake. As far as he could tell, the rest of the lake water was completely still, as if no disturbances had occurred there for centuries.

It was the dream – or vision, whatever it was – all over again. The water pulled him this way and that, until suddenly he fell through the pit and hit the ground. This time he did not get up straight away. Apparently the dream had kept back any pain he would fall from the falling. His knees felt like they had been shattered, and his hands were scratched and bloody. After a few minutes of getting his breath back, Revan stood and slowly walked over to the only light around. He fell onto his hands and knees and carefully peered over the edge into the water.

He saw his own face; tired, weary and ageing.

Confused.

He continued to stare at the water, growing impatient with each passing moment, but then however, the water stirred, and Revan’s faced disappeared. Aleira stood there. On top of a hill; a crimson double-bladed lightsaber swirling around her. This was not the Aleira that was waiting for him on the bank of the river however. No, this one was different. One: she was older. Her long dark hair blowing in and around her beautiful face. Her eyes seared with an intent passion. She ran forwards and leapt high up into the air. And before he could do anything, Aleira was standing overtop of him with the blade to his throat.

“How is this possible?” he said bewildered.

“That is not the problem,” she said. Hate clinging to every word that dripped off of her tongue. “The problem is that what you have made me become. This is because of you!”

“I do not understand,” said Revan. The tip of her lightsaber gingerly touched his throat and he frowned slightly at the pain. This vision must be as real as he was. But how was that possible?

“Understand?” spat Aleira with a high voiced cackle. Quite unlike the laugh she has now. “’Not everything I tell you is a lie,’” she said, quoting her fathers words. “Ha! What a lie that was! How does it feel father? Knowing that the one thing you tried to protect me from was the one thing that you yourself made me out to be?”

Revan stayed silent. Around his collarbone had started to tingle slightly, but he did not move to find the source of why.

“I hate you,” she whispered. “Mother would never have left me if it weren’t for you. You are the reason she is dead. You are the reason I will never see her again!”

“It was not my fault,” said Revan. “Jonas killed your mother, not I!”

“Lies!” she spat. “All lies! Do you remember what happened that day, father? Do you remember how she died? Or, even better, should I make you remember the first steps you took towards making her death happen?”

Revan shook his head. “You must understand. Things happened, yes. But not things I wanted to happen. I loved your mother more than life, I loved your mother more than –,” he cut himself off, affronted by what he was just about to say.

“- more than me,” replied Aleira: finishing off the sentence.

“Is this what that is about?” asked Revan. “Is that why you have turned to the dark side? I admit, I am not a great father. But I am a better father than most!”

“Until you met her!” snapped Aleira.

“What do you mean?” asked Revan.

“Nothing,” said Aleira. “It is of no importance.”

“Oh, I beg to differ,” replied Revan. “How can you accuse me of driving you to the Dark Side for something I have not done?”

“Yet,” said Aleira. “Haven’t done yet.”

“Well then tell me!” cried out Revan. “Tell me so I can make up for it and keep you from becoming what you are destined to be!”

“That is not for you to do father,” said Aleira. Her form was growing faint and she was moving back towards the pond.

Revan stood to his feet when her lightsaber was a safe distance away. “Everything I tell you is a lie,” he said. Aleira nodded. “And even now you do not understand of that which I have just told you.”

She screamed in anger and brandished her lightsaber forward sending one of the blades for Revan’s throat. He ignited his own and went to block, but as his lightsaber would have struck hers, the blade of his daughters disappeared. Leaving Revan standing there in a purple light of disbelief…

I like the idea behind the story, but I think it's lacking in details. There are not many moments where Revan speaks to his daughter about what they are doing or anything. I would have liked to hear some more of his thoughts on the situation... memories of the Exile... anger for Bastila's death... concern for his child.

Like the chapter though.

That was definitely odd!

Nice chapters, here. It's good to see a unique idea. :)

Indeed. I´m sure this will be explained in the next chapter exactly what the forest and water are. I think that the water shows the future? Yeah a few more thoughts would have been nice, but this was still an enjoyable read. That vision in the water was scary in a good way. :D Keep it up!

-HOP

Archived