Home

Join folding@home with TeamLFN !

Astrotoy7

How's it hangin Jesus!! [/always wanted to say that!!]

:lol: its all good!

For any other rig, I would say 'always on is ok' but for something packed tight like a laptop, I know from personal experience what prolonged use/overheating do. I have a tablet pc, I treat it with the same caution!

yeah. they call it a laptop... but i'm pretty sure the manual says *not* to put it on your lap... seriously, if you did, you'd end up with baked thighs. (which would be good if it was chicken... but its yours, and it hurts!) how many mb is a standard work upload? (i have a usage cap to think about... but im thinking it wont be too bad. :shads2: )

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding size of downloads: using the SMP client with the "big" flag set to true, we're talking the order of about 4-5Mb per WU which take about 1.5 days for me to complete. So not much bandwidth required in that regard.

5mb? thats great! thanks for the info!

now to convince the 'rents....

hopefully, ill be able to. :)

ah, You mean Mary and 'The Big Guy' ! awesome :D

Make sure you show them the official site and FAQ/results page. I cant imagine any parent that wouldnt support using idle pc activity to help with medical research :)

mtfbwya

Attention F@H image sig users...

major graphics changes. Because my album was filling up, I have a created a new album strictly for f@h images. In turn, this will change the url locations for the images...

Please update your sig images to point to the correct version(s).

I've made it real easy with copy-n-paste code. I have also addressed the issue of transparency failure in case anyone is having problems. :D

http://www.lucasforums.com/group.php?groupid=43

I plan on deleting the images from the random folder, but I'll wait till everyone has had a chance to update. ;)

So everyone who was thinking of signing up.. now you get cool swag! :lol: We've done the grinding part enough to be ranked high enough for the sig image badge of honor :emodanc: Join Now!

I've joined with my PS3. Haven't seen mention of joining the team this way in this thread but I'm hoping it works. I believe my PS3 has more processing power than my PC (besides, all it's doing ATM is gathering dust). I'll try to leave it running overnight.

woot! welcome the the fold lexxy, make sure you pop in by the teamLFN social group miniforum sometime ;)

As long as you enter the right team number. Theres no cross console stats restrictions that Im aware of :D

I saw a presentation Mr Pande gave re the GPUclient and CUDA: basically this is the speed hierachy(IIRC):

CUDA GPU> SMP(flagged)/PS3> ATI/Non CUDA GPU> SMP(unflagged)> Standard Client(multicore>single core)

This is the SMP client with active -smp flag that really thrashes the hell out of all your CPUs, and where the WU rate for this and the PS3 are comparable.

mtfbwya

So the hubby isn't too keen on me leaving the PS3 on overnight. Something about fire hazard/electricity bill/credit crunch. :rolleyes: I'm going to install the PC client instead. ;)

And Astro, that was complete gibberish to me lol, but just for future reference, the PS3 completed 1 WU in around 6 hours.

Edit: I went to install the cuda drivers and it said it's an older version than the drivers I have already, so I've left my drivers how they are and I'm using the Nvidia GPU client.

• 2 months later...

A quick note; None of my WU seem to be uploading, and I keep getting this in my log:

[23:17:29] + Attempting to send results [January 2 23:17:29 UTC]

[23:17:48] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server

[23:17:48] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)

[23:17:48] (171.67.108.25:8080)

[23:17:48] + Retrying using alternative port

[23:17:49] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server

[23:17:49] (Got status 503)

[23:17:49] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)

[23:17:49] (171.67.108.25:80)

[23:17:49] Could not transmit unit 01 to Collection server; keeping in queue.

Any help?

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/serverstat.html

Looks like that server is supposed to be working but it does appear to be under heavy load so it may have intermittent problems with receiving completed WU's.

If you go to http://171.67.108.25 and the page displays as OK then you should have good connectivity. Just make sure you don't have a firewall or other data network security mechanism in place that is blocking the GPU client but based on the error messages you posted I don't think that is the case.

Your GPU client will continue trying to transmit the completed WU's while it's running. So as long as it successfully transmits within 48 hours of downloading the WU then you'll get credit for it. If it goes longer than 48 hours though then it's not credited.

It's a loss if your rig processes the WU but you don't get credited for it because you couldn't upload it within the required timeframe. IMHO that sucks! :)

In the past couple of months that I've been doing GPU folding there have been times where the servers stopped handing out new WU's or wouldn't accept WU's for a while so it's not entirely unexpected to run into server side issues with this project. I can't remember a time though when a problem wasn't resolved in time for my completed WU's to be uploaded before they expired.

• 4 months later...
The only issue that I've run into is that the display function on the gpu app always locks up my machine.

This can happen with certain chipsets.. what GPU are you using? Apart from looking pretty the gpu client actually diminishes folding performance, so isnt good or anything more than a few seconds of showing it off :p

welcome to f@h ;)

mtfbwya

• 3 months later...
Was running the CPU one. But changed to the GPU shortly after. Tried to set up that FahMon but i've got no idea with it haha.

Yep, youve appeared on our stats page so you have the clients set correctly :) 11 WUs already!! :thmbup1:

The Standford Uni stats are available from right clicking your system tray icon>status>teams stats or HERE>

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=140370

kakaostats keeps some more detailed stats

http://kakaostats.com/t.php?t=140370

Fahmon can be downloaded with an installer or as a zip which runs from wherever you extract it. Once you start it, first click 'download new projects' so it can update its list of what projects are being distributed.

all you need to do is "add client" >>

>under "name" you can call it what you like - most name it after their graphics card, or you could call it "Betsy" :D

>under location> press the browse button and find your f@h folder >> in most cases its in : C>program files>folding@home>folding@home-gpu

once you select this folder, fahmonshould start doing its job ;)

mtfbwya

• 1 month later...

Archived