Home

Join folding@home with TeamLFN !

Astrotoy7

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

It is nice to be here. I am going to run this as often as possible. Quick question though, is there a way to make the app run in the background so it does not freeze my computer for 3 seconds then start doing the next thing. (ex. While Folder is running and I open GIMP computer freezes for a few seconds then catches up, and so on...)

It is nice to be here. I am going to run this as often as possible. Quick question though, is there a way to make the app run in the background so it does not freeze my computer for 3 seconds then start doing the next thing. (ex. While Folder is running and I open GIMP computer freezes for a few seconds then catches up, and so on...)

As far as folding goes. I ONLY do it when my computer is idle. If I need to use the comp for any reason, then I switch it off.

However, I keep my comps on 24/7 so this may not apply to you or others.

I believe there is a setting in F@H where you can set the priority of folding where it won't use as many (or any) cycles if you are doing something else however. At work, so I can't look at my settings to say for sure :raise:

As far as folding goes. I ONLY do it when my computer is idle. If I need to use the comp for any reason, then I switch it off.

However, I keep my comps on 24/7 so this may not apply to you or others.

I believe there is a setting in F@H where you can set the priority of folding where it won't use as many (or any) cycles if you are doing something else however. At work, so I can't look at my settings to say for sure :raise:

So basically, only run the program when I'm sleeping or at school/work.

I wouldn't pay much attention the the viewer Zimm. If you really want to monitor your progress, either follow the log directly or install FahMon The viewer is just for showing off really, and on the GPU client, actually reduces folding performance if you leave it on.

As you have a GPU client, you may also want to keep an eye on your temps and such. EVGA Precision is a nice little app you can use, and you generally dont need an EVGA card to run it ;)

EVGAPREC.png

mtfbwya

I wouldn't pay much attention the the viewer Zimm. If you really want to monitor your progress, either follow the log directly or install FahMon The viewer is just for showing off really, and on the GPU client, actually reduces folding performance if you leave it on.

As you have a GPU client, you may also want to keep an eye on your temps and such. EVGA Precision is a nice little app you can use, and you generally dont need an EVGA card to run it ;)

EVGAPREC.png

mtfbwya

Thank you. This looks very usefull.

^^^ Good to know. Just joined the team, currently folding on my xp rig using the cpu client (core2duo 2.13ghz), as I learned the gpu client would not be all that great with my chintzy geforce 210.

This pc will be folding almost all the time, as I rarely game when working (which is always these days) and if I do, it will be ME2 on the new rig, or some PS3.

I will be folding with my new htpc rig (see the good M$ support thread) and am curious about which client I should use on it.

i7 860 vs 250gt? Which will be more productive? I seem to recall some folders dual-folding with cpu and gpu clients?

Hello Glen! welcome to teamLFN!

The most productive client to use on CPUs is the SMP client. See the f@h High Performance Clients page for more info

You can indeed have separate CPU and GPU clients - as the GPU client does not draw on the CPU much. The only issues here are heat, and usability of your pc. In alot of instances, its quite feasible to have your GPU client running and still do most normal PC tasks, but if the CPU clients are running, this is diminished, particularly if you have all cores chipping in.

From a work perspective, the clients which get the most done are in this order:

GPU nv>GPU ati>PS3>CPU(SMP)>CPU std

I dont have that kit specifically, but I'd imagine your 250GT would probably match all for cores of your i7 running at full pelt - and leave you with a usable PC for non gaming activities.

If it is a HTPC, you generally don't want anything running if that rig is recording TV. You can set windows task scheduler to run the f@h client at certain times when you know it wont be doing any recording.

mtfbwya

The most productive client to use on CPUs is the SMP client.
Good to know. I missed the SMP client, and will need to install it as soon as my current work unit is complete... it is the largest my machine has taken on yet, a 2500 piece puzzle. But, three down WU's down :)

GPU nv>GPU ati>PS3>CPU(SMP)>CPU std
Do people actually fold with their PS3's? I have considered it, but I am not one to leave that thing running... my concern would be wear & tear. Am I being wimpy?
If it is a HTPC, you generally don't want anything running if that rig is recording TV. You can set windows task scheduler to run the f@h client at certain times when you know it wont be doing any recording.
It is an HTPC build, but it is not getting much HTPC use yet, as we still have our Comcrap DVR. Soon to be a thing of the past :) I will not be using it for much recording of tv though, as we are about to drop our cable tv subscription and get netflix. Free basic cable comes with the new apartment, so net we save $40 and get to watch movies we choose. How novel.

Regardless, and back on topic, I will be folding with the high performance nvidia gpu client by the end of the week. Looking at the team, I can catch a good many of these cats, but the top three are sick! In a helpful, protein folding sort-of-way :p I am oddly proud of being a part of this... and am trying to get more folks interested. Thank you, Team LFN, for raising my awareness!

Do people actually fold with their PS3's? I have considered it, but I am not one to leave that thing running... my concern would be wear & tear. Am I being wimpy?

I run mine constantly as unless I'm watching a Blu-Ray.. the PS3 gets no action ( <3 Xbox ) :xp: Now, if you actually USE the PS3, keep in mind it's either folding OR gaming as folding ties the entire system up.

Heat so far has been a non-issue.. however my entertainment system setup is all open air, tiered glass shelving (no sides). Probably why I've never had a RRoD either (cross fingers)... ;)

Enclosed shelves or boxes might generate more of a buildup.

Do people actually fold with their PS3's? I have considered it, but I am not one to leave that thing running... my concern would be wear & tear. Am I being wimpy

I understand the reservation, though do like to remind people that the PS3 client was a collaboration between Sony and stanford university - it's not a homebrew by some scary hairy scene guys :D

Hence, it is designed to not destroy everyones ps3. Chainz' point about ventilation however, is an excellent one - though IIRC you do electrical setups - so I'm sure you are more than aware of that consideration :)

I am oddly proud of being a part of this... and am trying to get more folks interested. Thank you, Team LFN, for raising my awareness!

Nothing odd about it! It's a great cause and easy to contribute to :) The fact that we have maintained our plateau position for so long indicates that we have a nice dedicated team :thmbup1:

It's great to spread the word and get others interested :) Even if they want to fold for themselves or another team, the nett result is still a positive one.

mtfbwya

Good info on the PS3 client, ChAiNz and Astro... I think I will leave it alone, as an SMP on my 2.13 C2D and the nV client on my 250gt should keep me satisfied.

Ventilation is never an issue :) As you surmised Astro, I cannot help to be obsessed with such things.... it is not good to watch a 20KW Mole-Richardson HMI explode due to my rigging in a poor airflow position == unemployment!

EDIT: Uh, ok. Now I see that the more POWA you have, the larger assignments you are given. The GPU client destroys my standard C2D client... chewing up a hundred parcels a minute! I guess I will see how much the SMP client improves my performance on this PC.

I will see how much the SMP client improves my performance on this PC.

The SMP client, whilst impressive for a CPU setup, really taxes your system, and gets through relatively less for the power it has drawn. Our greatest SMP star folder is tk102. I know he used the SMP client alot, but as we haven't heard from him in a while, I'm not sure what he is currently using.

EVen though he is aloof from the forums atm - its great to see his rig is still folding away for teamLFN.

kudos to tk, wherever he may be! (likely in his workshop making some crazy glasses) ;)

mtfbwya

The SMP client, whilst impressive for a CPU setup, really taxes your system
Ok, cool. I think I will be satisfied then with the standard CPU client on this rig, with the HighPer nV client on the 250gts. If I get really crazy, I can always fire up the PS3 :D

EVen though he is aloof from the forums atm - its great to see his rig is still folding away for teamLFN.

kudos to tk, wherever he may be! (likely in his workshop making some crazy glasses) ;)

I see tk102 up there, and it is impressive that he has racked up so many WU's using CPU power only.... as well as it's impressive that he might be in a workshop somewhere, working away. Always been a big fan of the guy... helpful, generous with his free time and to the community in so many ways.

EDIT: Er, just found the social group. My ruminations on folding will be continuing there, unless someone stuffs a donut in my mouth :hungry:

Professor Vijay Pande just posted an update on the f@h blog. The v7 client is about to start a limited alpha - looks like they are integrated multicore GPU setups natively - finally!

Here's an update on our v7 client efforts. The v7 client is a complete re-write in order to make the client more reliable, simple to maintain, and easier to include features that donors have requested. The first versions will not have everything that donors have asked for, but there will be some significant changes, such as the integration of classic, SMP, and GPU clients, the ability for a single client to handle all of these (eg multi-core + GPU) simultaneously (via multiple cores), a cleaner and more reliable GUI, much better and sophisticated tools for 3rd party developers, and in time the ability to use the FAH client to manage multiple machines easily.

The console version of the v7 client has gone through internal testing and we're starting a very limited alpha release. There are definitely some rough edges, but I'm excited to see it get this far. Assuming there are no show stoppers, I hope that we'll have something ready for open beta testing in a month or two, maybe sooner.

mtfbwya

Professor Vijay Pande just posted an update on the f@h blog. The v7 client is about to start a limited alpha - looks like they are integrated multicore GPU setups natively - finally!
Hmmm... I hope you're right but I interpreted the "multicore + GPU" to mean integration of the SMP and GPU clients. Of course it would be helpful if one client could run on multiple GPU's as well. It definitely sounds like the v7 client will bring welcomed improvements.

Hmmm... I hope you're right but I interpreted the "multicore + GPU" to mean integration of the SMP and GPU clients. Of course it would be helpful if one client could run on multiple GPU's as well. It definitely sounds like the v7 client will bring welcomed improvements.

I hope they do have integrated multi GPU setups, it seriously is a PITA to set up.. two sets of clients with separate shortcuts modified to point to diffferent folders and tagged with with the -gpu flag, you then need to repeat this flag business in the client config :D \o/

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

An official teamLFN welcome to HockeyGoalie35, who came to techforum for some graphics card help and enjoyed the service so much, he decided to chip in some WUs to the folding@home project.

good stuff!

Also, for those that are curious, I can now answer the question everyone has been asking:

NO. Stanford do NOT send you a limousine full of women when you reach the 2million point mark :D

mtfbwya

NO. Standford do NOT send you a limousine full of women when you reach the 2million point mark :D

That's it. I quit. :carms::xp:

Got back from vaycay only to find out my comp client (and entire pc) seized up.. sigh. Problem has been fixed and chomping away the numbers again :D

EDIT:

On a side note, just noticed that Qui-Gon Glenn never got his badge :doh: Fixed that rather quickly ;) Gratz!

If anyone notices any other member (or themselves) missing their badge for 50 units of work, let me know please :D

Archived