Home

Join folding@home with TeamLFN !

Astrotoy7

well, i tried to get F@H going on my new computer, but the GPU client doesn't recognize my Radeon 5850. :(

oh well, i'll at least get things going with the CPU client. ;)

Welcome to teamLFN stinger ;) The 5xxx series isnt supported in the official client yet - you can get some improved performance by using the force ati flag on the shortcut. Otherwise, there will be the GPU3 client, due early next year if Stanford get it out as planned.

mtfbwya

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

F@H had been happy chugging along through the night, until yesterday morning, when I found that my computer had BSOD'd sometime during the night, and restarted. I thought it was just a fluke, but it happened again this morning. I have no clue what would cause this. I doubt it was heat, since the hottest my GPU gets during an entire day of folding is about 64', which is a pretty safe temp.

Anyone have any ideas about what could cause this?

F@H had been happy chugging along through the night, until yesterday morning, when I found that my computer had BSOD'd sometime during the night, and restarted. I thought it was just a fluke, but it happened again this morning. I have no clue what would cause this. I doubt it was heat, since the hottest my GPU gets during an entire day of folding is about 64', which is a pretty safe temp.

Anyone have any ideas about what could cause this?

Did you catch the error message in the BSOD..... if not what does windows log say happenned??

What card/drivers are you using ??

mtfbwya

Did you catch the error message in the BSOD..... if not what does windows log say happenned??

What card/drivers are you using ??

mtfbwya

I'm using a GTX 260 with 196.21 drivers. Unfortunately this only seems to happen when I leave the program overnight, not during the day, so I miss the BSOD. The only reason I know it's a BSOD is because the error message told me it was. I'll try to copy-paste the windows log next time I get the issue.

Although my home didn't lose power, there was a storm a couple of days ago that left most of my town w/o power, and many have only regained it now. Perhaps the town's been trying to fix the power during the night, when most won't notice it being cut off, though that normally would just shut my pc off, not BSOD it and have it auto-restart. However, if I don't get the issue again, that might be the explanation.

On a positive note, I'm only about 6 or 7 days into folding, and I'm already at 95 WUs. The GPU client really is something. (I'd hook up my 2nd GPU too, but the FAQ seems to imply that you need a 2nd monitor, which I don't have.)

On a positive note, I'm only about 6 or 7 days into folding, and I'm already at 95 WUs. The GPU client really is something. (I'd hook up my 2nd GPU too, but the FAQ seems to imply that you need a 2nd monitor, which I don't have.)

The electrical explanation is definitely a very plausible one. My friend cant run a pc at his house without it needing to be plugged into a UPS at all times.

As for the second GPU - a second monitor isn't required - you can use a dummy plug - all this requires is a DVI>VGA adapter, which comes with most GPUs and 3x 68ohm resistors - which cost about a buck. >> more info and pics HERE

mtfbwya

The electrical explanation is definitely a very plausible one. My friend cant run a pc at his house without it needing to be plugged into a UPS at all times.

As for the second GPU - a second monitor isn't required - you can use a dummy plug - all this requires is a DVI>VGA adapter, which comes with most GPUs and 3x 68ohm resistors - which cost about a buck. >> more info and pics HERE

mtfbwya

I think it might have been the electricity, since it ran through the night just fine last night, and the power problems in my town have been fixed. If it's not, it could just be that my PC can't go 24/7, but perhaps only a 24/6 "and on the 7th day he rested" schedule. However, I think the power explanation is more likely.

As for a dummy plug, I'll look around my workbench area to see if I have any extra resistors lying around, though I think I used most of them in a project. If so, next time I head around my nearest electronic parts store, which, sadly, isn't especially close by, I'll pick some up.

It appears that the BSOD had nothing to do with power problems, as those have been sorted out for a while, and it happened last night. It is getting far warmer than last week, but my temps are comfortably under 70 during the hottest part of the day, so nights really shouldn't be an issue. Even more bizarre is that this only seems to happen when I'm not at my computer, and only at night. I may have to reserve F@H for the time when I'm awake from now on, however since I go to sleep late, and wake up pretty early, that shouldn't be too big an issue.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Didn't notice that I was the last person to post in the thread.

It appears that the BSOD had nothing to do with power problems, as those have been sorted out for a while, and it happened last night.

You shouldnt rule it out so quickly. There could be power fluctuations at your mains that whilst tolerable by most equipment, really irritate pcs, which need to suck juice at a steady rate - especially when a high end GPU is in there powering away at an intensive computational task like F@H.

This is why UPS devices exist ;) Have a read of this for some more info, and keep an eye on it.

mtfbwya

• 1 month later...
I joined, but what do I have to do in order to help ?

EDIT: I would be proud to be part of such a project.

Welcome to teamLFN Nick!! All you need to do to is outlined in the first post of this thread - to get your points to contribute to team LFNs total is as simple as entering your user name and our team number(140370)

Also, feel free to pop in on the team LFN social group to say howdy. It's pretty quiet as far as social groups go, so wont consume your life like farmville :D

That social group thread contain instructions on how to get your teamLFN counter sigs (point at sig!)

happy folding :) And remember, once you accomplish 50 work units, you will get awarded the very ravishing and rare teamLFN badge.

mtfbwya

I got my 1st WorkingUnit!!! Here, have a look:thmbup1::

Slot 01

Project: 2611 (Run 1, Clone 914, Gen 171), Core: 78

Work server: 171.64.65.65:8080

Collection server: 171.67.108.25

Download date: May 13 10:43:57

Finished date: May 15 07:36:08

But, why don't I appear as a member of the team on folding@home ???:confused:

I got my 1st WorkingUnit!!! Here, have a look:thmbup1::

But, why don't I appear as a member of the team on folding@home ???:confused:

Sweet! :thumbsup:

Make sure you enter the Team ID in your client: 140370

If you have.. the F@H site is slow to update. You can check here for quicker results: http://kakaostats.com/t.php?t=140370 or F@H's "Fast stats" page: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/teamstats/team140370.html

Congrats on the inaugural WU Nick :)

You also now appear on the official slower loading team stats page. 49 more and the magical teamLFN badge will be your prize!!

mtfbwya

Thanks alot!

Hey, I also noticed that in your sig you also have personal stats. How ?

EDIT: 7 WUs !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived