Home

Join folding@home with TeamLFN !

Astrotoy7

Aw, man, I was just about to post in the Hardware Recommendations thread that I'd just found this idiotic deal on an EVGA 470 ($215!) for him. I'll bet that he doesn't want to see that now. :(

Anyway, is there a nice, simple guide available to get F@H to run on both GPUs in an SLI rig?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyway, is there a nice, simple guide available to get F@H to run on both GPUs in an SLI rig?

I'm happy to walk you through it Q. I found the other guides haphazard, so have put together the guts of what you need to know below with visual aids, which are always the most helpful to me :)

Here's what you need for starters

Multiple Displays Recognised

*Outputs from each GPU need to be enabled, this is easiest if you happen to have two monitors, but for those that don't - you can construct a dummy plug that will make your nvidia CP think there is a second display.

I know you'll have no probs with it - so here's the famous 30 second dummy plug guide

Once you get your nvidia control panel to recognise two displays, make sure they arent in clone mode. This may possible be different seeing you have separate cards, but Ive noticed this with my 295 and the more recent drivers.

Install The Client

Install folding@home. Only install the new client if you have a Fermi card, If not, stick to the stable 6.23

>>Next, enable hidden folders in windows. I think you know how to do that, but let me know if you dont! This is so that you can find the actual folder that does contains the guts of the client, so that it can be replicated for the second GPU. It actually isnt in C/program files, but in:

C/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/

Where USERNAME is of course whatever your windows account name is

In this Roaming folder you will see the folding@homegpu folder, simply copy and paste a second one and rename it with a 2 at the end.

MultiClients.jpg

To ensure you havent doubled up and are using both cards to work on same work unit, make sure the files highlighted in the blue square are NOT in the second folder you have created.

Setting Up The Shortcuts

I wish someone spelt it out easily to me.... this is where I got stuck for a bit, but once you see it visually - it makes sense.

You need to create a custom shortcuts FOR EACH CLIENT - Go to the folding folder in Program files, and R.Click the exe to make a new shortcut. Then R.click the the shortcut, and select Properties to adjust its parameters. Target and Start In are what you are looking at

CUTS2.jpg

Target: Your folding folder in Program Files. The location doesn't need to be changed but you need to add the -gpu X flag after it, corresponding to that number you put into the config

eg.

"C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 0

Start In: >> This is what you need to change from the default, to your folding folder in the usually hidden folder in AppData/Roaming

"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu"

Hence, you need to create Two shortcuts, one for each GPU.

One shortcut's "Start in" points to the first folding@home-gpu folder in AppData/Roaming, and the second points to the second folder you created in there.

Setting Up The Multiple Clients Config

To get to the clients config, start a client from teh new shortcuts you have created. You will see a coloured icon(s) on the system tray >>R click the folding icon in the system tray when it is running(or it usually comes up automatically after a fresh install) You have to do this twice of course, once for each client.

Under the USER tab(not pictured_ you will need to put in your username and our team number of course: 140370.

For the CONNECTION and ADVANCED Tabs:

Is is essential you get the insert the -gpu X flag (where x is whatever corresponding number to what you set up in the folding client config)

Hence

1st CARD/GPU: Config: says -gpu 0 in parameters and in the shortcut

2nd CARD/GPU: Config says -gpu 1 in parameters and in the shortcut

Also ensure each machine has a different ID in the config

CONFIG1.jpg

Once all that is done, THATS IT!

To test it, set up a folding monitor such as FahMon and set up client monitoring corresponding to each folder in AppData Roaming.

fahmonsetup.jpg

Good Luck - let us know if anything needs clarifying

mtfbwya

Um, I have a question. I'd like to join, but will this still work with my Raedon 5650 HD? I read somewhere that its better to run on computers with nVidia cards.

Hello RC - at present, the GPU client does get through more calculations on an nvidia card than an ATI card, but ATI cards still get through more than a CPU client.

Any contribution is a good one, for a great cause. If you would like to read more about ATI setups, the FAQ is here

Basically, you would also download the 6.23 client, and setup as normal with username and team number. The client should take care of the rest.

Let us know if you need any further experience. Remember, contributing 50WUs to teamLFN will get you the unique and sexy folders badge ;)

Good Luck

mtfbwya

Okay, I downloaded it and installed it, set up with my username and the team number, but when I mouse over the system tray icon it keeps giving a "F@H Core Download error (#)" and the number keeps increasing. I think it may be sum issue with the network connection. How do I solve this?

Ok I think it's working now. Googled it. Seems since I run Windows 7 I've to cut the F@H folder from the Program Files to the C: directory. It successfully downloaded a work packet and folding's underway.

FH.png

Woohoo!

I'm glad I'm on my way to get the sexy folders badge make my mark on society. :D

Great stuff RC-1162 :) Welcome to teamLFN.

I now recall having a similar error to your one when I switched to W7. I got around by setting the shortcuts to "run as admin", which the solution you found is a workaround of(running things from C/ instead of program files does not need admin permissions)

mtfbwya

Congrats to HG35 and Billy on their imminent 50WUs !!

badges are in the mail ;)

mtfbwya

Gratz gang! Sorry for the delay.. been away from the forums for a few. Hopefully I spit-polished those badges enough to make up for it...

hheeewwwwaakkk.. ptoooooie! ;)

Ok, and how about multiple PC's?

Thats not an issue at all :) You can have a client set up on any compatible system. just make sure you select the right client depending on your hardware and OS. To make sure all the points go to the same account name and team, ensure the config on each machine is set the same.

Let us know if you need any further tips :)

mtfbwya

Thanks chainz! I never got to wear a badge 'round here before.... :D

@acdcfanbill: Holy crap! That fermi card is unbelievable... I had my gts250, my ps3, and a cpu client on this C2D2.13 rig, all running at max, and you still were pulling away from me... with only one client!!! That thing is awesome, and now you have me shopping for a fermi...

@Q: Where is that 470 for $215? Been looking high and low >.> ^.^ <.< \/.\/ Show me the light!

@N5 - yep, like Astro said, just make sure you enter the same configuration... for a minute I had my roommates comps both folding for me, 'til they got aware and shut me down :devsmoke:

@acdcfanbill: Holy crap! That fermi card is unbelievable... I had my gts250, my ps3, and a cpu client on this C2D2.13 rig, all running at max, and you still were pulling away from me... with only one client!!! That thing is awesome, and now you have me shopping for a fermi...

Yea, I like it so far, though I might like it more had I found it for $215 :p I usually run it about 9-10 hrs a day, basically, start it before I leave for work, and 'Pause when done...' when I get home so I can game or w/e. I leave it off when I sleep too since leaving the computer on raises the temp in my room (same room as I sleep in).

• 4 weeks later...

Got my 460gtx after Q's advice and thinking it all through... plus the results of those 460's sli'd beating the 480 was quite interesting - thanks to Astro and Q for keeping me informed!

The 460 rocks as a folder... now I just have to get my 250gts working in my old Dell box.

On that note, and this is the wrong place to ask... I forgot to computer uninstall my BFG gt210 before physically uninstalling it and installing the 250. Result: BSOD 0x7b, which has to be a driver issue. Cannot boot to Safe Mode. Sigh.

Repair install or just Nuke it? I have everything backed up, but I also have limited installs on ME2 before I have to lock horns with EA, and you know... all the installing, updating, blah blah blah.

Cant even get into safe mode? That is an unforgiving mainboard! I just pulled a EVGA 8800GTS out of my old shuttle SN27P2 gaming rig and put in a cheap old gigabyte 8500 to free up the second slot for a TV tuner to make that rig a HTPC. I didn't get that..

I'd definitely try a repair install first - seeing you have game installs on there

mtfbwya

• 1 year later...

Archived