Home

Tatooine Rakatan Temple

Sith Holocron

I'd love to see someone attempt to restoring the Rakatan temple on Tatooine back into the game - even if it's unconnected to the Star Map search. (Especially considering there are so few sound files to connect the Star Map to it.)

For those unfamiliar to what I'm talking about, refer to Darth Insidious' "K1 Lost Modules Pack" compilation here

KOTORWorldsTour-Tatooine-b.jpg

The main problem with the Rakatan Dungeon (it's actually a dungeon, I had a source, but I can't remember where it is) is that the model itself is incomplete. Many parts of the walkmesh are broken, and just parts of the model in general are missing or deleted. For instance, in one room, there are a bunch of floor tiles sticking up out of the ground. But, the polygons on one side have been deleted, and when you stand on one side of them, you can't see them at all. There are also a number of mapping issues. Unfortunately, most of these problems can't be corrected at all. Especially ones dealing with the walkmeshes.

The main problem with the Rakatan Dungeon (it's actually a dungeon, I had a source, but I can't remember where it is) is that the model itself is incomplete. Many parts of the walkmesh are broken, and just parts of the model in general are missing or deleted. For instance, in one room, there are a bunch of floor tiles sticking up out of the ground. But, the polygons on one side have been deleted, and when you stand on one side of them, you can't see them at all. There are also a number of mapping issues. Unfortunately, most of these problems can't be corrected at all. Especially ones dealing with the walkmeshes.

With the advances is in area creation, would it be possible to create a Tatooine dungeon based on the incomplete one?

• 8 months later...

I am resurrecting this thread because I am interested in restoring this temple. However, I do not know how to fix the walkmesh and model problem so if anyone knows how, I'd appreciate your contribution. I feel that this and Sleheyron deserve to be restored, since they are such great places.

Thanks!

Lord of Hunger

As SS said - although one year ago - the module is *very* incomplete. And if I say *very* incomlete, I mean *VERY INCOMPLETE*. As far as I know the walkmesh problem is still not solved and thus the module impossibile to restore. SS, please correct me if I am wrong.

Its been quite some time since I went to that module, and I hate to kill any enthusiasm, but the module (as it stands) is very small, if I remember correctly. (And I am not sure that the above shown picture is part of the module.) Nevertheless, if the module would be workable, the right team could create a nice (side) quest for it.

Take care

Theoretically, you could make a new area based on the old one, but it'd be no easy task. At best, you'd get something that loosely resembles the parts that exist, as much of it isn't there. The rest would have to be thought up from scratch.

It'd be a big job though.

@Jae: This discussion is about the unfinished and deleted Dungeon on Tatooine, which the developers left in the game, for and from K1. (That it was supposed to be an old Rakatan temple is a false rumour, if I remember the statement from David Guider correctly!) DarthInsidious made it accessable for us mere mortals. There never was any porting idea involved in this.

@all: If this discussion shall lead to anything, we need a workable module. I know only of two, maybe three people in this community who have the abilities to either work from the existing files or make new ones from scratch. As long as one of these doesn't pick up the ball, the idea will be just that - an idea.

Awesomeness and good luck on the restoration, I will definitely be looking forward to seeing it. Also noob question;

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
is the Tatooine Rakatan Temple the location in Revan's flashback where he unmasks himself, or was that on another planet?

Awesomeness and good luck on the restoration, I will definitely be looking forward to seeing it. Also noob question;
Show spoiler
is the Tatooine Rakatan Temple the location in Revan's flashback where he unmasks himself, or was that on another planet?

Show spoiler
I think it's at the top of a Rakatan temple on Rakata Prime/Lehon. If you've seen the dark side ending of the game, you should be able to tell somewhat easily.

If someone would make this module workable it would make a cool manageable project. With the right people it would be a doable thing. Nothing overly ambishous, but big and interesting enough to make fellow players want to play it...

I think, correct me if I am wrong, you could take the model files and treat them as new ones and re-export and compile em, make the walkmesh and all the other stuff that is screwed up from scratch.

True, importing each part and puzzle it together untill you got the whole temple.

Fill in unfinished parts and stuff.

That way a new walkmesh could be created.

There are few things to consider:

- Lighting: You'll loose the lightmaps and other neat effects which depends on the .vis file.

- Using only 1 big walkmesh seems to confuse the .vis file, so you need to leave it out.

That way the whole model won't look as good as the rest.

So far I haven't been able to create the same sort of nice light/ shadow play as the real modules have.

Its not undoable; but its a heavy task none the less.

All true! But the Shadowland Restoration I did had no walkmesh also, and nevertheless I made a more or less okay restoration with it, I think. One had to use tricks and tuneing, but many things are possible, just not some specific things (roaming NPCs, elaborate walking of NPCs and such).

As I said, a good team could work from a finished module (even without walkmesh).

Take care

EDIT: Once again - its not a temple, just a dungeon ;-) !

Archived