Home

Canon

Gurges-Ahter

Urgh, that nasty word - "Canon"

I have not been influenced by canon especially because I played both games through before realizing what the canon for K1 and TSL was.

I thought that TSl canon was only DSD female, just so it would be the exact opposite of K1 canon...I do tend to play LS though, but canon had no influence...

-HOP

I also did my first playthroughs without knowing what canon was. I chose LS male for both, because it just made sense to me. I now choose LS female for TSL - I think it makes more sense for some reason.

Except for the fact that you are willingly accepting the Disciple, the most annoying party member in the KOTOR universe :xp:

-HOP

sometimes. but i usually have both Revan and the Exile as male - Revan partly because of canon but largely because i enjoy wooing (and annoying) Bastila, and the male Exile because i think the character dynamics are more interesting, with the jealousy between Visas and the Handmaiden, and Atris, and maybe i just prefer playing as a man. dunno. but i'm influenced by canon in K1 more than TSL certainly. edit: oh, and i always play LS in K1, because the DS options in K1 for the most part make you look like, as the Americans would say, a jerk. But in TSL nowadays i always play a sort of 'Chaotic good' or 'lawful evil', to use the D&D system i think it is. being a tortured soul and slowly falling is far more interesting than being a hopeless do-gooder i think. plus, Kreia is cool. but this has nothing to do with canon, so i don't know why i'm writing it. wtf.

I'm able to feel more "immersed" while paying as a female, and when I play a male it's usually a stilted "let us see what features are different" run where I go purely LS or purely DS. More of my females lean lightside with a bit of a "destiny sucks, but I'll do what I have to do" attitude.

I prefer Carth's flirting to Bastila tossing herself at your feet and cute little Atton's occasionaly lovely dialogue to the "everyone loves the Exile" triangle of Atris, Visas and Brianna.

Shame I have to take the Disciple as a girl, though, he makes me want to punch things. Preferrably with Brianna doing the punching. As a party member. Instead of Disciple.

In short? I don't listen to the "canon" because it implies that my character was a completely saintly lightsider, and possibly also the wrong gender.

P.S. Disciple is rubbish.

No doubt, lightside and darkside, male and female all have their own charms in each game, but does anyone else notice that the dialogue doesn't always match what you choose (in terms of gender)?

Just recently, I was going through the scene with Mandalore discussing Revan in TSL, and in one dialogue sequence, he referred to Revan as 'she' after Revan had been set to male!

Also, in K1, if you talk to Canderous about the Mandalorian Wars before the plot twist, even if you play as female, Revan is still referred to as 'he'.

Annoying...but maybe Canderous is just...confused!:lol:

Even the developers don't want to stick to canon!

Also, in K1, if you talk to Canderous about the Mandalorian Wars before the plot twist, even if you play as female, Revan is still referred to as 'he'.

Annoying...but maybe Canderous is just...confused!:lol:

That's likely because Revan was completely unidentifiable to the Mandalorians. I don't think any of them, with the exception of Mandalore the Ultimate (who was killed by Revan, anyway) ever really encountered h(im/er) face to face :p. Since Revan could only be identified through hearing his/her voice, most of the Mandalorians probably just assumed Revan was a male. Maybe that can help it be less annoying? It is a convenient reason to slash off some voice acting time, though :).

Anyway, I am influenced by canon. I'm a guy, and I pretty much always choose a male character on any game just because it's easier to relate to the character for me. So, I played as a male even before I learned KotOR's canon details. I also generally lean towards the light side, though not too far. That said, I've been pretty close to canon even without knowing it, with the exception of my first playthrough where the "Revelation" and Bastila's subsequent defiance on the Temple were enough to sway me to follow her.

The whole male playing male thing caused me to play a male on both of my TSL playthroughs too, though. Knowing canon is enough to make me play as a female, next time. Not until I buy TSL for pc after Team Gizka finishes though.

Except for the fact that you are willingly accepting the Disciple, the most annoying party member in the KOTOR universe :xp:

I agree with your comments on Disciple, but I still play as a female. I just never play TSL without stoffe's "HANDMAIDEN PARTY MEMBER OPTION FOR FEMALE EXILES." It gets rid of Disciple without me having to stare at a man's butt while playing the game. I’m trying to play the game right now on the 360 and I’m having a tough time putting up with Disciple. I may have to go back to the PC.

I play as a female PC and canon means nothing to me in a RPG game.

now set back and wait for Jae's canon cut and paste

You will never get that... Jae is to awesome to use cut and paste! She types it all from memory! :xp: -RH

Let me ask the question this way - if you could only play the game once, would you sway toward the canon route?
Not likely. To me a role-playing game is about choices. Why purchase an RPG and then follow a canonized walk through? I may as well just purchase a FPS. My PC may be the canonized version (TSL- Lightside/Female), but I assure you that is just a coincidence as my Revan is also Lightside/Female

Not likely. To me a role-playing game is about choices. Why purchase an RPG and then follow a canonized walk through?

To me the story is the most important part of the game. If the canon version has the best story, that's what I want to experience (if I only have 1 playthrough). Just my preference.

Additionally, the LS/DS, male/female choice is only a small part of all the choices you have in dialogue during the game, plus all your choices of skills to learn, classes to choose between, weapons to use, etc. It's still vastly different than a FPS if you are influenced by canon to choose LS Male/LS Female.

Well, there is no...such real thing as canon. The only reason they needed to call Revan a LS male of The Exile a LS Female were some paragraphs about them in source books.

For example, a discription of T3 for the Droid Source book held a sentence that described T3 as 'The exile her droid was an excellent companion.'

And, the Revan from the Kotor comics still has his cap moved over his head. We don't know if he's male or female.

-----------

But to answer your question; I use LS male for K1 yes...but just because I *can't* play DS and I can identify myself better with my own gender (no hard feelings, ladies :xp: ).

Same goes for TSL...LS male again...

Archived