Home

Monkey Island 1 (CD) DosBox Problem.....Please Help!

omaer94

I have The Secret of Monkey Island CD Version and when i mount the CD and run the game in the ENGLISH folder this message appears:

"No CD-Rom drive or MSCDEX not installed"

Even though i put the files in my Hard Disk, It gives me this message and to pretend that im playing the game through CD i type -t cdrom command as well (when my cd is also in the drive of course) but this message appears:

"Game Requires Monkey Island CD in drive!"

Even though the CD is already IN the drive!

So can anybody PLEASE help me?

Monkey Island 1 CD has a CD-audio soundtrack so the game will look for it no matter if the files are on the HD or not.

The "-t cdrom" option is for mounting a CD-ROM drive with an MSCDEX emulator, not to pretend you're playing it from a CD-ROM. Try something like 'mount D "X:\" -t cdrom' where X: is the CD-ROM drive and D is the drive letter you want to assign it in DOSbox.

I ran it with scummvm before but then i found out that scummvm does not play the original sfx like DosBox and you cant play the game with a joystick. So can anyone tell me how to make the audio work. (CD is in the drive)

I ran it with scummvm before but then i found out that scummvm does not play the original sfx like DosBox and you cant play the game with a joystick. So can anyone tell me how to make the audio work. (CD is in the drive)

Did you read the ScummVM README or the FAQ?

ScummVM supports the original audio (in almost all games, the exceptions being Loom Mac, MI1 Amiga, C64). MI1 Amiga's sounds are being worked on as part of GSoC. It also supports a joystick, but the mouse is quite good for the game IMO.

Did you read the ScummVM README or the FAQ?

ScummVM supports the original audio (in almost all games, the exceptions being Loom Mac, MI1 Amiga, C64). MI1 Amiga's sounds are being worked on as part of GSoC. It also supports a joystick, but the mouse is quite good for the game IMO.

Thanks man it worked! but im having trouble with the joystick I've configured my joystick in the scummvm.ini file and its saying in the background window as well that my joystick is enabled but when i play MI the joystick doesn't work I've also tried the shortcut (Ctrl+J) its not working.

• 10 months later...

Ok I didnt read anything but your Post. I dont feel like reading everyones and I already know what you should do. I dont know how old this forum is but I need the posts. U need to download the latest version of ScummVM. Its made for lucasarts games. The dosbox doesnt do anything but emulate wich means its just another way of running programs. It wont emulate sound or graphics. Get rid of it. Its a waste of time trust me It took me forever to figure that out.

• 1 month later...
Ok I didnt read anything but your Post. I dont feel like reading everyones and I already know what you should do. I dont know how old this forum is but I need the posts. U need to download the latest version of ScummVM. Its made for lucasarts games. The dosbox doesnt do anything but emulate wich means its just another way of running programs. It wont emulate sound or graphics. Get rid of it. Its a waste of time trust me It took me forever to figure that out.

Er. No. There are so many errors in these statements about DosBox that I won't even bother to start commenting on them.

Er. No. There are so many errors in these statements about DosBox that I won't even bother to start commenting on them.
LOL. Ain't that the truth! My favourite error in tentacle's post is that he says he doesn't need to read just a handful of very short replies to keep up with the topic! Dosbox is an emulator - yes, that's the only part of his post that's true. ScummVM is also an emulator, they're both designed under completely different ideas, but their end target is the same: to run applications designed for one system on a different system. Bah!

It certainly is. It's basically a drop-in replacement for a SCUMM interpreter program; which means that it emulates (at a very high standard) the original functions of the original SCUMM interpreter.

Very similar to something like a SNES emulator actually, the main difference is that its interpretation of the code is not necessarily built around creating a complete working software "copy" of original hardware functions.

One thing that SCUMMVM does not emulate at all is the save-game function - instead they use their own, and as a result are completely unable to save or load original save games.

It certainly is. It's basically a drop-in replacement for a SCUMM interpreter program; which means that it emulates (at a very high standard) the original functions of the original SCUMM interpreter.

Very similar to something like a SNES emulator actually, the main difference is that its interpretation of the code is not necessarily built around creating a complete working software "copy" of original hardware functions.

One thing that SCUMMVM does not emulate at all is the save-game function - instead they use their own, and as a result are completely unable to save or load original save games.

Quote http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/About :

"ScummVM is a project in which there is an attempt to rewrite the original executable file of a given game, based on the game's original source code or by using reverse engineering techniques to see the code that's contained in the game's executable and rewrite it in C++. This means that ScummVM's executable can be used to replace the game's original one, but of course the game's data files (graphics, audio, game scripts etc) are needed to play the game itself. Therefore, ScummVM is NOT an emulator of a specific operating system, as, for example, DOSBox is for DOS. ScummVM is actually a full rewrite of each game's engine, which has many advantages: "

It's not the same thing as emulation. Each interpreter is rewritten from scratch. Feel free to head on over to ScummVM and tell the devs that their program is an emulator. They will most certainly disagree with you.

You can rest it as much as you want, it's still not an emulator.

This has been discussed plenty of times over at ScummVM before.

Since you obviously can't be bothered to go over there yourself, here is a reply from one of the devs to one of the many times this question has been asked:

"scummvm is an virtual machine right. I'm curious : what's the difference between scummvm and an emulator?

It's a question that has been answered many times already

In ScummVM we aim to rewrite the game engines that run specific games from scratch, using source code provided by the companies themselves or via reverse engineering information obtained via a game's executable, thus rewriting the game engines to use ScummVM's common code and architecture, which in turn is adapted to run under many platforms. Of course, the data files of the game itself are still needed, ScummVM aims to replace the game's executable. This approach allows the game to be ran natively on multiple platforms without the CPU and memory requirements required for such a feat, and it allows to correct certain bugs found in the game itself.

In an actual emulator, a specific target platform is emulated. For example, in DOSBox, a DOS operating system is emulated, under which the original game executables run. In MAME, platforms used in coin-op games are emulated, which allows games that originally ran under these platforms to run under MAME itself.

Both approaches have their pros and cons, but the fact is that since each game supported is rewritten, it's a long and quite hard task to add a new game engine to ScummVM, but the end result is usually a far better and smooth experience than the original provided"

You can rest it as much as you want, it's still not an emulator.

This has been discussed plenty of times over at ScummVM before.

Since you obviously can't be bothered to go over there yourself, here is a reply from one of the devs to one of the many times this question has been asked:

I already know all this. Don't assume I don't. I've read their opinions before. Doesn't change a thing. Scientologists don't acknowledge that their "belief system" is a cult you know, that doesn't stop the rest of us calling it that.

ScummVM does not emulate an OS, we've already established that, and it doesn't emulate hardware either like most traditional emulators do. But it still emulates the functions of the original game interpreters; which is basically the same thing. The SCUMM system itself worked like this: compiled resource files + launcher/interpreter. Console systems like the SNES worked much the same, except that the "launcher" was the system OS in the console itself, and the compiled code was on the ROM; so basically an emulator has to emulate the OS and (to some degree) the hardware on which the original OS relies. ScummVM is basically the same only the program to run the code isn't an OS that runs from a system but is contained within the game release. I fail to see a tangible difference that would mean ScummVM is anything other than a program designed to replicate the functions of another program - ie designed to emulate an original program on a different platform.

By the way, the example given is a fairly poor one considering that MAME emulates MANY different systems (individual machine support) just like how SCUMMVM emulates many different "systems" (individual game support). SCUMMVM and MAME are more similar then MAME and DOSBOX. In fact even their version numbers are similar: MAME - v0.133 ... SCUMMVM - v0.13.1 - they're both pre-1.0 versions because not all games are fully supported; like I said they really are similar in that way.

The most obvious difference between ScummVM and an emulator would be that:

* ScummVM needs much less CPU and system resources than an emulator, as games run directly in ScummVM and not through an emulated platform (which might have a different CPU, different memory management and so on)

plus:

* The game can run on many different platforms, thanks to ScummVM's portable platform backend

* Game graphics can be improved with the use of several graphics filters (including super2xsai, supereagle, advmame2x, advmame3x, hq2x, hq3x and more) (yes, I know DosBOX can do this)

* Some bugs which existed in the original game's executable (or specific scripts) may be fixed

* It's possible to re-encode the game's audio files into popular formats, such as MP3, OGG or FLAC so that the game itself takes up much less space

* LucasArts games have a much improved menu and savegame system

* Most game engines allow the player to save much more save games than the original interpreters did

* In some games, ScummVM offers added functionality which did not exist in the original games. For example, it offers full mouse functionality in older Sierra AGI games, which had no mouse support

* It's possible to listen to a supported game's MT-32 music score (if present) without an actual MT-32, via a sophisticated system which emulates it

...and many more. The approach that is taken when implementing a game under ScummVM has some disadvantages:

* Because the logic of each game in ScummVM has been rewritten from scratch, some bugs which were not present with the original game interpreter might exist in ScummVM. For this purpose, there is a bug tracker in ScummVM, where users report such findings to the ScummVM team, which are then usually fixed. Such issues surely exist, as it's impossible to check every single aspect of each game, and a full rewrite of the game engine means that there might be issues which the developer didn't find out originally.

...and perhaps more.

And comparing the ScummVM team to the Scientology church is a bit far of, wouldn't you say? Just because YOU think it's an emulator, that doesn't stop the rest of us from knowing it's not:P See how that works the other way around?

Like you yourself say, an emulator is a program that emulates an os on a different platform to run the desired program through. ScummVM is a program that runs natively on whatever platform you are using.

Archived