Home

Major problem!

Ghost Down

Hey guys,

I've got a huge problem. My new rig won't work. It powers up, but my monitor won't get out of standby-mode, my HDD and DVD player also don't seem to work. I've tried several things, like using different IDE cables and rebuilding it again. But somehow I can't get it to work.

So any ideas would be helpfull :)

Since neither your video nor your drives are working, it sounds like it's either your motherboard or your PSU. Do you have a continuity tester so you can see whether or not your PSU is supplying any juice?

its sucks when they die like that ! Just because you may be getting a light on your mainboard or some fans whirring doesnt mean the PSU is doing a good job of supplying a steady flow of 'juice'[/technical term]. Compys are amongst the fussiest devices as far as variability in supplied power in concerned.

However, you mention you are booting up, does this mean you are getting past the boot up bios screens, and it just dies when the OS starts to kick in?? i

Rather than focussing one one bit, here are a swag of questions that may be able to point you in the right direction as to identifying the actual cause.

*What OS are you using > if windows, are you able to boot off a disc and get into a repair/recovery console?

*Have you had a power surge or black out at your place recently?

*Are you able to start in safe mode ?

*do you have (non keyb/mouse)usb device plugged, floppy in or disc in your DVD drive.

*Are your HDDs receiving power(if you touch them, you can feel them whirring :p )

*Have you done anything new recently, such as install application or hardware.

*Are you able to swap in another PSU to see of that helps ?

and last but not least >> always forgotten, often the problem :p

*check how your RAM sticks are any add in cards are seated. If you havent done so already, unseat and reseat, adding only one component at a time.

let us know ;)

mtfbwya

you might also want to check to make sure both power connections have been plugged in on the motherboard. the 24-pin connector should be connected as well as a 4 or 8 pin connector that's likely located near the CPU socket.

another quick check should be your system specs. what kind of motherboard and power supply do you have? what is your power supply rated for? what kind of devices are you plugging into the motherboard?

I don't get too see a boot screen at all, my monitor won't get out of standby-mode. I also re-seated my RAM sticks, but no luck :( I also got my 8 pin connector and 20-pin connector connected properly. This is weird, I have built multiple PC's, but I have never had any problems before..

I am also sure my PSU is strong enough, I'll post my system specs:

Motherboard: Asus P5-E

CPU: Intel Q6600

Graphics card: XFX GeForce 9800GTX Black Edition

RAM: GeIL Black Dragon 4-gigabyte 1066MHz

PSU: Coolermaster 700Watt (Which has a constant flow off 700 Watt and a max output of 840 Watt, or atleast that's what it says on the box :p)

If it's not the PSU's part which powers the mainboard, then either your mainboard is trash, or your RAM. Do you have multiple memory modules so you could check them seperately? Or try without any RAM or card plugged, your mb should at least give you some beep code.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Whew!, I finally figured out which part is not working properly. I'm 99,9% sure that my motherboard is trash, just have to get it tested at the local computer hardware store.

Let's hope everything will be working again next week.. Cross your fingers! ;)

Archived