Home

Brett Favre sent to the New York Jets

MacTavish

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/football/08/07/favre.trade/index.html

For those who watch ESPN I am sure you have seen the topic on Brett Favre staying or leaving the Packers pop up about every five minutes, but after many long weeks of wondering what will happen next, it is done. The three-time MVP for the Green Bay Packers has been traded to the New York Jets.

it's definitely interesting - i thought he had a better chance of being traded to the bucs. i didn't think he'd go to the jets, since they have little chance of winning anything in that division. they have upgraded several parts from last season, but they were a long way away from being any good last year.

I'm surprised to hear that from a Packers fan. The dude wants to play, and Green Bay was a couple plays from making the superbowl last year. That won't happen with Rodgers at the helm.

And I disagree that he was being a princess. There was a lot of drama, but that was media created. He changed his mind; so what.

As a packers fan, I say good riddance, he was being an immature little princess, he should have just let Rodgers take his spot without all this drama
He has a ego, that ego won him 3 MVPs and a Super Bowl. I'd take that immature little princess on my team any day.

I hope you like going 8-8.
That is if the Packers are lucky.

He has a ego, that ego won him 3 MVPs and a Super Bowl. I'd take that immature little princess on my team any day.

While Brett didn't handle his retirement correctly. The Packers management handle the situation atrociously.

That is if the Packers are lucky.

Aaron Rogers certainly is no Steve Young on the field. However he did handle the Brett situation perfectly.

As a packers fan, I say good riddance, he was being an immature little princess, he should have just let Rodgers take his spot without all this drama

QFT

And I disagree that he was being a princess. There was a lot of drama, but that was media created. He changed his mind; so what.

If this was the first time Favre had done something like this I would agree, however, since he's been flirting with retiring each season since 2006...it's old and he needs to leave now.

Have to say, I think he was being a princess...he actually thought the team would rally behind him and support him which is why he did what he did. Unfortuantely for him not even the team (players, not coaches and management) supported what he was doing. Says a lot, don't ya think?

3 time MVP, won a Superbowl, and went to the NFC championship last year and his team doesn't support him... so much for his character. Always heard rumors he wasn't the nicest guy and was good at manipulating the press around him, now I believe it.

If this was the first time Favre had done something like this I would agree, however, since he's been flirting with retiring each season since 2006...it's old and he needs to leave now.

I'll grant you that he has waffled the past few years, but this is the first time he's retired, and he only made that decision b/c the Packers forced him to decide in March. He hasn't been ready to decide in March for a while, so the Packers organization forced his hand.

Have to say, I think he was being a princess...he actually thought the team would rally behind him and support him which is why he did what he did. Unfortuantely for him not even the team (players, not coaches and management) supported what he was doing. Says a lot, don't ya think?

I have to ask - where did you get that info from? The only players I heard come out to say anything were definitely in support of Favre (Donald Driver - WR, and the center - can't remember his name). It was the coach that didn't want Brett; not the players. I think you're off base on this one.

3 time MVP, won a Superbowl, and went to the NFC championship last year and his team doesn't support him... so much for his character. Always heard rumors he wasn't the nicest guy and was good at manipulating the press around him, now I believe it.

Not sure how any of that ties to his character - I think you're stretching a lot here.

Remember when Michael Jordan went out of retirement and played for the Wizards? I see the same thing happening. I'm a Packer fan, but I think Farve should have retired. He had established a great reputation as a quarterback and I think he will fall out of sight and step on a lot of toes by what he's doing.

He claimed he just wanted to play football, but his demands were too high to support that statement. I think that he won't be as great an asset to the Jets as he was to the Packers and will truly end his career on a bad note. I hope I'm wrong, but I didn't see Jordan do so well after the Bulls. And I think the fans loved him more than Favre.

He hasn't been ready to decide in March for a while, so the Packers organization forced his hand.

So I guess you are in the belief that the packers shouldn't be able to prepare for the draft then?? Drafting for an older QB who's not as quick on his feet as he used to be is vastly different than drafting for a young QB who is an up and comer. Teams need time to figure out who they are going to go for in the draft and to look at all the talent and how it fits their system. Asking him to decide in march is completely reasonable.

Oh yeah...the org also forced Bret to say the following in regards to him coming out of retirement...

"I have no idea where that came from, but it certainly didn't come from me. I'm happy about my decision and I haven't once said, 'I wonder if I made the wrong decision.' I know it's the right one.'' - April 2008

I have to ask - where did you get that info from? The only players I heard come out to say anything were definitely in support of Favre (Donald Driver - WR, and the center - can't remember his name). It was the coach that didn't want Brett; not the players. I think you're off base on this one.

They may have said nice things about Favre which is understandable, but in the end they were behind Aaron Rodgers...

Source

Not sure how any of that ties to his character - I think you're stretching a lot here.

Actually, it's an indicator. If he's that good and loved as much as the media indicates he is his team would have rallied behind him, but instead they decided to go with Aaron.

I'm going to take Favre at his word. After all, how much did the Packers offer him just to stay retired?

10 years...$20 million

Although, his demand was to be the #1 QB which he wouldn't be in GB since they had already prepared for Aaron Rodgers.

So I guess you are in the belief that the packers shouldn't be able to prepare for the draft then?? Drafting for an older QB who's not as quick on his feet as he used to be is vastly different than drafting for a young QB who is an up and comer. Teams need time to figure out who they are going to go for in the draft and to look at all the talent and how it fits their system. Asking him to decide in march is completely reasonable.

I don't disagree with any of that. I stated upfront that Favre had waffled the past several years. I am just not offended that the dude changed his mind, after being forced into a decision that he wasn't truly ready to make.

They may have said nice things about Favre which is understandable, but in the end they were behind Aaron Rodgers...

I read your source - it's the same thing they always said. The locker room won't be divided - they will be behind whoever the organization picks as the QB (which is clearly Aaron Rodgers). I don't see how it shows any lack of support from his teammates.

Actually, it's an indicator. If he's that good and loved as much as the media indicates he is his team would have rallied behind him, but instead they decided to go with Aaron.

Since I disagree that his teammates "decided to go with Aaron", I disagree that it's any type of indicator for his character. I'm sure there are some players that are ready for Aaron and would prefer to move forward, and I'm sure there are some other players (namely the veterans) that realize the window of opportunity to win a Superbowl closes really quickly in the NFL, and the Packers essentially just slammed it shut for at least 5 years by letting Favre go.

Although, his demand was to be the #1 QB which he wouldn't be in GB since they had already prepared for Aaron Rodgers.

This is more in response to the OP about Favre being too demanding - but is that really being too demanding? He wasn't holding out for more money - he just wanted to play again. I understand the Packers reasons for letting him go, although I disagree that it was the right choice, but I don't think it had anything to do with Favre being too demanding. They were just ready to move on with Rodgers (and Brohm and Flynn).

Favre demand was to have the opportunity to compete for the #1 quarterback job. The Packers had already made Aaron Rodgers the #1 quarterback. Favre knew that if he was allowed to compete fairly for the job that he would be the starting quarterback. I don’t fault the Packers for moving on, but I always find it funny for coaches to name the starter at any position before the first preseason game.

Funny I thought football was supposed to be a completive sport.

I don't disagree with any of that. I stated upfront that Favre had waffled the past several years. I am just not offended that the dude changed his mind, after being forced into a decision that he wasn't truly ready to make.

Assuming you are ignoring the fact that there is more than just Brett in this equation? The team needed to figure out what they were doing on draft day, therefore Favre had a deadline. He wasn't forced...it was his decision...check the quote from ESPN again which you didn't include in the quote...

I read your source - it's the same thing they always said. The locker room won't be divided - they will be behind whoever the organization picks as the QB (which is clearly Aaron Rodgers). I don't see how it shows any lack of support from his teammates.

Because he's not Aaron Rodgers...? That's an oddly worded statement above btw, so not sure what you mean exactly...

Since I disagree that his teammates "decided to go with Aaron", I disagree that it's any type of indicator for his character. I'm sure there are some players that are ready for Aaron and would prefer to move forward, and I'm sure there are some other players (namely the veterans) that realize the window of opportunity to win a Superbowl closes really quickly in the NFL, and the Packers essentially just slammed it shut for at least 5 years by letting Favre go.

I can accept that you disagree with that, but how do you explain everything that has happened in the last 5 months with Favre and still say he does not have a flawed character?

Although I am curious how you equate an aging quarterback who's skill is only going to go downhill from here is a Super Bowl opportunity. Was he a great...yes. Is he great now...not really. The receivers in GB are very good (slightly jealous actually, they are very good). Without them Favre isn't going to do much, but with them any quarterback/team has a SB opportunity. Lets just hope the RB situation gets sorted out before the half way mark this year unlike last year.

This is more in response to the OP about Favre being too demanding - but is that really being too demanding? He wasn't holding out for more money - he just wanted to play again. I understand the Packers reasons for letting him go, although I disagree that it was the right choice, but I don't think it had anything to do with Favre being too demanding. They were just ready to move on with Rodgers (and Brohm and Flynn).

I'm not saying he was too demanding, just stating what his demands were. IMO, yes it is being too demanding. If he wants a shot at being #1 go to camp and earn it...like every other person in the NFL. When did the player become more important than the team here?

Assuming you are ignoring the fact that there is more than just Brett in this equation? The team needed to figure out what they were doing on draft day, therefore Favre had a deadline. He wasn't forced...it was his decision...check the quote from ESPN again which you didn't include in the quote...

Again, I'm not disagreeing that the team deserves the right to know. It just doesn't upset me that Brett changed his mind. The Packers decided to move on; that doesn't upset me either (although I disagree that it was the best thing to do). I only disagreed with your statement that Brett was being a princess, which I still disagree with. I didn't include the quote because it didn't show up when I clicked on "reply quote", and I didn't want to take the time to go back, copy and paste it, and re-include it when it was right there. Additionally, it's not really germane to the discussion at hand, so I felt it was expendable.

Because he's not Aaron Rodgers...? That's an oddly worded statement above btw, so not sure what you mean exactly...

I'm not sure how it's oddly worded... the article you sourced states that the team says they will be behind the QB the organization chooses, and the organization chose Rodgers. They would be behind Brett had the organization chose Brett. The article was about the locker room not letting the QB controversy divide the team; not about teammates choosing Rodgers over Favre. If you got something different than that from the article, I'm not surprised we disagree on the issue.

I can accept that you disagree with that, but how do you explain everything that has happened in the last 5 months with Favre and still say he does not have a flawed character?

What has happened that would lead me to believe he has flawed character? Changing his mind about retirement? Wanting to be a starting QB in the NFL again, most preferably for his former team? If anything, I would be led to believe he has character flaws from his previous addiction to vicodin during the mid-90s. Are you really condemning the guy for changing his mind about retirement?

Although I am curious how you equate an aging quarterback who's skill is only going to go downhill from here is a Super Bowl opportunity. Was he a great...yes. Is he great now...not really. The receivers in GB are very good (slightly jealous actually, they are very good). Without them Favre isn't going to do much, but with them any quarterback/team has a SB opportunity. Lets just hope the RB situation gets sorted out before the half way mark this year unlike last year.

Really? They were 13-3 last year, a few plays from the Superbowl, and Brett had one of his best years ever. If it weren't for Brady's ridiculous season, he would have won another MVP. And you drastically overrate the receivers. Let's see how Driver's numbers do with Rodgers at the helm. What has Javon Walker done since he left GB? Brett made those receivers better than they are. McCarthy will always put up big passing numbers as a coach, but the GB WR's are decent at best.

I'm not saying he was too demanding, just stating what his demands were. IMO, yes it is being too demanding. If he wants a shot at being #1 go to camp and earn it...like every other person in the NFL. When did the player become more important than the team here?
That is exactly what Brett did. The Packers organization informed him that he would not have that opportunity. What's your point here?

I only disagreed with your statement that Brett was being a princess, which I still disagree with.

My opinion that he was princess like was that since he can't be gauranteed #1 he won't be on the team at all. That's pretty sad for a guy who made his career with that team. Not to mention a longer than average career.

I'm not sure how it's oddly worded... the article you sourced states that the team says they will be behind the QB the organization chooses, and the organization chose Rodgers. They would be behind Brett had the organization chose Brett. The article was about the locker room not letting the QB controversy divide the team; not about teammates choosing Rodgers over Favre. If you got something different than that from the article, I'm not surprised we disagree on the issue.

Well, you stated that the team backed rodgers...and then you stated you didn't see how they weren't supporting Brett. Kind of answered yourself in a way.

I think another thing worth exploring would be what Brett expected the team to do. I honestly think he expected them to be more vocal and adament about him starting over Rodgers, which they did not do. Hard to say, but it definitely has that feeling to it.

What has happened that would lead me to believe he has flawed character? Changing his mind about retirement? Wanting to be a starting QB in the NFL again, most preferably for his former team? If anything, I would be led to believe he has character flaws from his previous addiction to vicodin during the mid-90s. Are you really condemning the guy for changing his mind about retirement?

Well, lets see...

1. Start with him jerking around GB for the last 3 seasons with retirement.
  2. Accuses people of forcing him to retire (this is the issue, he wasn't forced)...after saying it was his idea and he's enjoying retiremnt. What type of people you know blame others for poor decisions they make?
  3. Gets upset because they won't gaurantee he's the #1 QB after they've spent the off season re-orging for Rodgers.
  4. Openly admits he wants to go to GB's archrivals if he's traded.
  5. Says he doesn't care if it divides the team, he'll go to camp anyway. Which in the end he didn't, however, he still basically said he doesn't care about the team. That's probably the worst IMO.

Really? They were 13-3 last year, a few plays from the Superbowl, and Brett had one of his best years ever. If it weren't for Brady's ridiculous season, he would have won another MVP. And you drastically overrate the receivers. Let's see how Driver's numbers do with Rodgers at the helm. What has Javon Walker done since he left GB? Brett made those receivers better than they are. McCarthy will always put up big passing numbers as a coach, but the GB WR's are decent at best.

Assuming you don't watch a lot of GB games...

That is exactly what Brett did. The Packers organization informed him that he would not have that opportunity. What's your point here?

Actually, the organization needed to know in march if he was going to retire so they knew how to build the team. He retired, they re-orged based on the strengths of Rodgers. Now 3 months later he wants back. Unfortunatley 2 different QBs 2 Different sets of skills. He could have competed, and he would have worked with the #1 offense during campe, however, Rodgers was heavily favored to start due to the re-org. If Brett could prove he could have worked in that system better than Rodgers he would be #1 again, but they couldn't gaurantee that he would due to varying skill sets. The Org said Rodgers is the starting QB at the time because he was, however, nothing is ever written in stone in the NFL if someone is willing to work.

QFE.

At this point it's safe to say that a video game/Star Wars based forum is not the ideal place to debate sports issues.

Just for the record, I watched a lot of Green Bay games, as I'm an avid football fan and I have NFL ticket, so every game, every week is available to me.

Also, I disagree with your list there of events that occurred. Favre never accused anyone of forcing him to retire - he said he was forced to make a decision when he wasn't ready to make one. Those are very different things. That's essentially fact at this point. Also, he wasn't upset at the Packers not guaranteeing him the #1 spot - he was upset they wouldn't even let him compete for it. Also very different. They basically wouldn't open the door at all after he left. He probably felt the Packers owed him at least that, which I agree with. About going to the Vikes - it would suck for Packers fans to see him don the purple jersey, but I can't blame him or condemn him for that. The Vikings would be NFC favorites, along with Dallas, if Brett was the QB. They have all the other pieces in place. And lastly, and most importantly, he never said he doesn't care if it divides the team. He DID say that was what made the decision to apply for reinstatement so hard - that he didn't want to hurt his former teammates in any way. He also said that's why he asked for a trade, so that the team wouldn't be distracted or divided by his presence.

Essentially I just disagree with your logic and interpretation of the events. Either way, I don't really care, most people agree with my assessment and Brett will get to play again. I just hope the Jets have improved enough in other areas to make them competitive in that division.

I am predicting that the Jets split 1-and-1 with the Pats this year, and that's a marked improvement from last year.

At this point it's safe to say that a video game/Star Wars based forum is not the ideal place to debate sports issues.

Well, the description of the Ahto Spaceport Cantina is "Stop in and chat among your fellow Knights about anything and everything!". I don't see what the problem is.

I have NFL ticket, so every game, every week is available to me.

Every NFL football fan in the Houston area need NFL ticket if they want to watch a professional game. Lords know there hasn’t been a professional team in Houston since the Oilers left town. I say the semi-pro team from Houston beats Green Bay December 7th. Something which would have been unthinkable to me 24 hours ago.

I followed Green Bay too. I'm a fan of whatever team is playing the Cowboys that week.

Archived