Home

Map and gametype suggestions

Maxstate

What do you guys think is a really good map for OJP?

What gametype fits OJP the most?

Two simple questions, since it seems that every time I switch to Jedi's Home or Fearis, or I switch the gametype from FFA to Team FFA or Capture the Flag, everyone leaves.

OJP's gameplay seems to appear to require more thinking, which would make ''strategical'' (team-based) gametypes seem more appropiate. (Objective-team-based ones specifically aka CTF & Siege, though Siege has those pre-defined classes that move differently to ''normal gametype'' characters, which imo sux a bit as it removes the customization element.)

However most still like the ''run and slash'' types more, as can also be witnessed when privatedueling is activated, where at least half the server is dueling.

Though I really don't get why they don't like TFFA, it's like FFA except you can only kill half the people.

Map-wise I dunno, as long as it is big or epic, lulz.

Think: Naboo-hills but more battlefieldish (and perhaps a tiny bit smaller.)

Or environments within buildings, like some of the basejka siege maps have, but prettier and moar epic.

Actually I have another idea, derived from COD4. COD4's multiplayer mode is basic, at best. The maps are all taken from the singleplayer campaign, and modified according to the game modes. But, it's still the most popular online FPS right now

I was thinking, whatever game modes you guys have in mind, it wouldn't be too bad an idea to rip the existing maps and modify them :)

Actually I have another idea, derived from COD4. COD4's multiplayer mode is basic, at best. The maps are all taken from the singleplayer campaign, and modified according to the game modes. But, it's still the most popular online FPS right now

I was thinking, whatever game modes you guys have in mind, it wouldn't be too bad an idea to rip the existing maps and modify them :)

Actually the EULA, you may not "reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software". Because BSPs are compiled, it's against the EULA to look at them. However, a few maps have been provided to us in MAP form:

kor1_sample.map

t1_rail_sample.map

t2_rancor_sample.map

t3_rift_sample.map

ctf4_sample.map

duel8_sample.map

ffa5_sample.map

siege_hoth_sample.map

So if you intend to make a map based on an existing map, you're basically limited to those. However, all of the textures for all maps are still available, so if you want to make a map based on another SP map you can do it... Just don't decompose and BSPs.

I was just kidding, but that is probably evident from my post.

Although, thsi little joke has very deep roots when it comes to my frustration with the OJP community. You players need to learn how to play CTF and Team FFA, because FFA is only fun for 30 minutes.

I was just kidding, but that is probably evident from my post.

Although, thsi little joke has very deep roots when it comes to my frustration with the OJP community. You players need to learn how to play CTF and Team FFA, because FFA is only fun for 30 minutes.

The fun only starts after score-whoring for hours and running rampant with a gazillion points bwarhuuhaaa.

I agree though, sucks how people /quit regardless of how it got turned into ctf / tffa

o They vote CTF / TFFA: They quit.

o Someone else votes CTF / TFFA: They quit.

o Admin changes to CTF / TFFA: They quit.

With the exception of ''sometimes''. When people will stay regardless of gamemode.

Perhaps they like the idea of being a rogue jedi / gunner. lol

Umm... copy + paste anybody? Its easy to get files fromthe JK2 CD and then port them over to JKA..

Umm, not! For CoOp you would have to convert scripts etc.

I've started making a OJP CoOp version of the old Cairn Dock 1 level in JK2. I'm currently compiling the .bsp. Your task: Get yourself and your team unnoticed onboard the Doomgiver.

Do you think that would fit for includal in OJP, along with JediNight's Ladder?

(It was really fun playing against the waves of reborns with the saber system and Force powers in OJP...:xp:)

Technically, it's not illegal. But it's against the EULA. Nobody wants to be in Tim territory here.

EDIT: Also Cairn is grey. Grey maps are bad. Grey maps are the cancer that is killing mapping. It's been quite a few years since JK2 has been released, can we get over the whole blocky grey Imperial Base motif at some point?

As phasmatis6 said, its illegal to decompile a .bsp. So we can't exactly go and release it.

The good thing about Cairn Dock 1 is that Raven released the .map with the SDK, and JediNight included the source with his Ladder.

Although I don't think I'll do a release of cairn_dock1, as it is grey as you say, Carbon. Plus that it's really buggy, and I'm too lazy to go through the map and fix that.

BUT my version of the Ladder works fine, and I think that would be a fine addition to the OJP maps.

The differences between mine and the original:

• Different textures; now it looks like the pit in Cairn where you faced your first two shadowtroopers.
  • Realistic lighting; the lighting now comes from the light surfaces on the walls and above the bridge.
  • "Recovery room"; a door at the end of the bridge takes you into a NPC-free room where you can heal up, or watch the others fight the waves of reborns through the window.

So, what do you think? It would add about 14 Mb to the filesize if included.

Archived