Home

Uh Oh! Georgia 2-0 Russia

jonathan7

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly thought that people were talking about the State of Georgia. Not the country.

I was just a wee bit confused until I found out it was the country. It all cleared up for me then :p

Being in Australia, I'm not too sure about these facts, but isn't America allies with Georgia? If so, won't they go to aid for them? And if they do, isn't China good friends with Russia?

I'm not so sure, but I think thats not a very good thing ... WWIII anyone???

(Again, I'm not to up with this whole issue. Just heard about it and I thought I heard somewhere with America being allies with Georgia.)

Being in Australia, I'm not too sure about these facts, but isn't America allies with Georgia? If so, won't they go to aid for them?

The US is, however, there are other factors to be considered. The last thing the government could want is another Iraq.

And if they do, isn't China good friends with Russia?

Nope.

Hey! Looks like the Russians have the better of it - the Georgians claim to be calling for ceasefire, but Russia says it doesn't know anything about it. Also, Russian forces seem to be in control of most of SO.

BBC News Article

What do you all think will happen if they press on into Georgia?

You'd think that would be the case, but....

_EW_

...but since we're not giving anything other than our moral support, it suggests a desire not to get involved militarily.

Have a look at the second line under my avatar.

oops, heh, I don't know much about Estonia to be honest.

Hey! Looks like the Russians have the better of it - the Georgians claim to be calling for ceasefire, but Russia says it doesn't know anything about it. Also, Russian forces seem to be in control of most of SO.

BBC News Article

What do you all think will happen if they press on into Georgia?

according to my news reports this morning, Russia already has with airstrikes.

That's right, the Georgians claim that airports around Tbilisi have been hit. It's quite worrying that Russia says it has heard nothing about a ceasefire (if the Georgians are telling the truth.)

They are also claiming that Russia has landed troops in another seperatist area via the Black Sea.

I was just suggesting that we've made bad decisions in the past. No need for a rebuttal.

_EW_

my bad, I was reading it as though you were intoning that the administration had plans for intervention.

That's right, the Georgians claim that airports around Tbilisi have been hit. It's quite worrying that Russia says it has heard nothing about a ceasefire (if the Georgians are telling the truth.)

They are also claiming that Russia has landed troops in another seperatist area via the Black Sea.

I'm not surprised Russia's claiming they haven't heard about it. I met a Russian on the Deviantart forums who didn't even know this was going on.

my bad, I was reading it as though you were intoning that the administration had plans for intervention.

No big deal :)

I'm not surprised Russia's claiming they haven't heard about it. I met a Russian on the Deviantart forums who didn't even know this was going on.

Yeah, well. I'd suspect that not many in the US know what's going on either. It seems that the common people are not always completely aware of what happens in current events.

_EW_

Imagine what Bush must have thought when he was told that the Russians had bombed Georgia!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

All I can see when I imagine that is a bunch of advisors trying to convince Bush it's not the state of Georgia and telling him not to launch the Nuke's :lol:

Yeah, well. I'd suspect that not many in the US know what's going on either. It seems that the common people are not always completely aware of what happens in current events.

_EW_

I'd probably disagree since I went out to pizza about a half hour ago and the Olympics were on and the news interrupted them to talk about the conflict between Russia and Georiga. Considering the mandates the Kremlin set down for Russian media, it's unlikely that they're even allowed to broadcast the existance of this conflict....unless Russia is winning.

Depends on what the west do' date=' if Georgia get support, it'll either end diplomatically quite fast, or we'll have WW3 on our hands. If Georgia dosen't get support, then Saakashvili better look for a new home.[/quote']

Indeed. I choose the diplomatic way. :)

Indeed. I choose the diplomatic way. :)

Of course that would be preferable, but who is going to pressure Russia if they go on the offensive? The UN is completely powerless - Russia has its Security Council veto, it has never listened to America, and doesn't like us (Britain).

EDIT: Georgia has signed a draft ceasefire with the EU's help: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7553144.stm

Now they are going to approach Medvedev and try to get him to sign - he has claimed that Moscow's military push is complete, so hopefully he will sign and stop this before everyone else gets involved.

Yea I think it really depends on who you are. Yesterday I was researching this and I came across a forum in which every poster assumed Georgia was the state and that Russia was bombing it. Needless to say, it was a forum of housewives.

Archived