Home

Summer Olympics 2008

Jae Onasi

The opening ceremonies were spectacular--the drummers, the parade of nations, the fireworks, the lighting of the Olympic cauldron.

I'm looking forward to the gymnastics, the swimming, and the taekwondo tournaments (though I probably won't be able to see the tkd on TV unfortunately).

This is the place to post your favorite sports and players, scores, exciting moments, cheering for your country, and all that other good stuff. :)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tuned in to the opening ceremonies sometime around where the children were in the middle of the scroll with, what, 2300 people around them? Their coordination was amazing. It must really be something to be down there in that enormous stadium. I must say, the Chinese did a really great job.

It's too bad the ceremonies had to be succeeded by a murder -_-. I'm sure that pisses a lot of people off, but, hey, it happens. I was somewhat pleased to learn that the crazy fool leapt to his death from a 13th century landmark. Too bad he couldn't have done it about 10 minutes earlier.

I'm not really sure what sports to look forward to. Admittedly, I've never really paid so much attention to the Summer Olympics. I've always loved the Winter Olympics. I'm watching US/Japan women's volleyball right now. There's taekwondo tournaments!?

I will be watching the swimming solely to see Michael Phelps in a speedo, and I am not ashamed to admit that.

The only other sport I'm really looking foreward to is women's gymnastics. I've been following the circut for a while, and am hoping Nastia Liuken kills her events and wins it for us...cause I don't like Shawn Johnson.

I'm not really going to watch the Olypmics. but the opening ceremony was superb.

I was really impressed by the 2008 (yes, 2008) Tae Kwon Do masters doing the same thing, otr the 2008 gymnasts imitating the stadium. Right about the part with dudes running around the globe is where I picked my Jaw up off the floor and started watching Monty Python. :xp: Did I miss anything cool after that part besides the march of nations?

The opening ceremony was phenomenal. China outdid themselves (though, it bothers me how much they spent actually constructing the Bird's Nest, as opposed to what they could have spent it on [like rebuilding after the earthquake...]). The parade of nations was interesting. I was surprised that so many leaders were there (Bush, Putin, and Sarkozy. There might have been more, but I missed them). *Shrugs*

Either way, China put on a performance to remember. I wonder how long they practiced for...

Yea that Russia/Georgia thing..I only caught a little hint at that last night during the march of nations. I thought it was just some little rebellion or something, then I get home today and someone tells me Russia's at war with someone rofl.

I'm not quite sure I understand it. South Ossetia is a province in Georgia that's trying to break away...so the Georgian military moved in...and since they did that, Russia just decides to start bombing their military bases? Where exactly do they get off? Am I missing something?

I'm not really going to watch the Olypmics. but the opening ceremony was superb.

I was really impressed by the 2008 (yes, 2008) Tae Kwon Do masters doing the same thing

T'ai Chi, actually, but yes, having done coordinated forms with other tkd students, I know that getting that kind of precise coordination of those forms is incredible.

So I'm sure you all know Michael Phelps already broke an olympic record, and now he's going to win more gold medals than any one ever in swimming.

As long as he keeps his shirt off, and the camera focused on him, I'm absolutly down with that.

So I'm sure you all know Michael Phelps already broke an olympic record, and now he's going to win more gold medals than any one ever in swimming.

As long as he keeps his shirt off, and the camera focused on him, I'm absolutly down with that.

>_>

You're such a teenage girl.

Anyway, I didn't get on to post right away, but about an hour and a half ago Phelps won his first gold in Beijing and rebroke his own 400IM World Record.

He's amazing - and shame on Lochte for telling that reporter that he could "definitely beat Phelps" if he had a "perfect swim."

Bet he feels foolish now.

_EW_

Archived