Home

MMOtor will be good if...

Fiestainabox

The Kotor MMO can be pretty fun if it does a few things correctly.

Make getting your character to be a Jedi difficult. Becoming a jedi isn't fun when EVERYBODY else in the game is one.

I kinda want to be a mercenary kinda character, something they wouldn't allow in previous kotors.

Next, make raids and instances.

Raids and instances are WAY better than any PVP system could ever be, I'd rather fight strategic bosses with 5 or 40 of my friends instead of go into a PVP area and get "PWNED" by the other team because my team sucks so bad it hurts.

Take tabs from WoW.

So many people hate WoW because they've never played it longer than 30 seconds, or be shown the ropes by a friend. I originally hated WoW with a passion, then, I picked it up, my friend showed me how to play, and I learned to love it.

WoW happens to be the one of the words top played games (as dictated www.xfire.com) Its gotta be doing something right.

Don't make it free.

This part is key, give it a monthly fee, but make everything else in the game absolutely free. That way, it pushes off the people that just want to ruin the game for everyone else, and removes the ability for EA to say "NO, if they want they're epic armor, they're going to have to PAY for it." A game that does that sorta thing, or something similar to that is "Rapellz Epic." (or however you spell that crazy name)

Make the combat system fun.

I'm not really a fan of either Mass effect, or Kotors combat system. Mass effects had all the stupid glitches and eff ups that drove me to almost not play the game. Kotors just got a tad boring after a bit.

If its going to be real time, which it most likely is, they should take tabs from Rainbow Six, and make it really slow, and tactical rather than a "Run out into the open and sprint alot!" sorta game. Rainbow Six focus's more on cover and stealth tactics to take someone out.

Sword Combat, Oblivion. KTHXBAI

Seriously, anything too complex will be difficult to remember, and anything really simple will be "ICLICKEDYOUTODEATH"

Lastly,

Make The Storyline INSTANCED

I'm fine with being able to play with thousands of people, but I don't want to trade a storyline for a D-Bag with a maxed level character ruining your fun.

For those who don't know what "Instanced" means, its a place where only you can see yourself or friends you've invited in. No strangers, nothing, just you and a storyline. You leave the instanced area, and you will be taken back to the open world where the other players are.

WoW has instanced zones, raids, PVP, and 5 man zones, but with next to no storyline, but real fun game play. Guild Wars is completely instanced, except for the main cities.

Anyway, follow these rules and kotor will be fun for all!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Kotor MMO can be pretty fun if it does a few things correctly.

Make getting your character to be a Jedi difficult. Becoming a jedi isn't fun when EVERYBODY else in the game is one.

I kinda want to be a mercenary kinda character, something they wouldn't allow in previous kotors.

Yes. Please. This was one of the major flaws (imo) of Galaxies. 2 billion Jedi running aound kinda makes the 'mystique' fade a bit ;) I would like to play a smuggler or bounty hunter-ish type rather than Jedi anyways, though wouldn't look forward to a group with all jedi's and one smuggler... talk about 5th wheel..hehehe. I'd like some variety... and while I admit that I will play a Jedi at some time (given if the class and character slots allowed grant it), other options will be a major plus. Heck, even an option to be a droid could be for some fun times :D

Next, make raids and instances.

Raids and instances are WAY better than any PVP system could ever be, I'd rather fight strategic bosses with 5 or 40 of my friends instead of go into a PVP area and get "PWNED" by the other team because my team sucks so bad it hurts.

Again, I agree. In fact I'd go so far as to keep PvP only in certain areas.. or if the money is there, an altogether seperate server for those that DO like PvP.

Take tabs from WoW.

So many people hate WoW because they've never played it longer than 30 seconds, or be shown the ropes by a friend. I originally hated WoW with a passion, then, I picked it up, my friend showed me how to play, and I learned to love it.

WoW happens to be the one of the words top played games (as dictated www.xfire.com) Its gotta be doing something right.

I've never played it, so I can't offer anything but an opinion, but I'd have to say that Blizzard is doing something right. You don't get to #1, much less remain at it, without a reason. Though since I've never played it, my opinion probably (more likely) is missing some vital experience to comment appropriately :)

Don't make it free.

This part is key, give it a monthly fee, but make everything else in the game absolutely free. That way, it pushes off the people that just want to ruin the game for everyone else, and removes the ability for EA to say "NO, if they want they're epic armor, they're going to have to PAY for it." A game that does that sorta thing, or something similar to that is "Rapellz Epic." (or however you spell that crazy name)

Yep. While I would frown on a substantial monthly fee, one that ranges around today's market would be ideal. I have no qualms with a $14 / month fee should the content be 'worth' it and adequate updates are provided.

Make the combat system fun....

Seriously, anything too complex will be difficult to remember, and anything really simple will be "ICLICKEDYOUTODEATH"

I haven't played many MMO's but I do regularly play DDO. Their combat is kind of a "mix". It's a clickfest.. however dice rolls, skill sets, weaponry & gear come in to play. It's real-time with modifiers so-to-say. And since it's a 'common sense' system (you have to face the enemy, be within range, etc.) I think it's pretty adequate for the genre. It's a combat system I like.. but I'm always up for suggestions :lol:

Make The Storyline INSTANCED

I'm fine with being able to play with thousands of people, but I don't want to trade a storyline for a D-Bag with a maxed level character ruining your fun.

For those who don't know what "Instanced" means, its a place where only you can see yourself or friends you've invited in. No strangers, nothing, just you and a storyline. You leave the instanced area, and you will be taken back to the open world where the other players are.

Yes please. :nod:

DDO uses instancing for everything except the main "world". So you can rub elbows with friends, shop, auction, etc. but when it comes down to business.. it's you and your party members only. No need to worry about doing all the work and some uber group comes from behind and pwns your group and reaps reward.

I'm actually (probably one of the few :xp: ) who's looking forward to the MMO. My hopes are that some of the LF'ers are too since there's an established communtiy rapport.. I think it'd be a blast with gaming with several of you guys and gals :D

I agree with pretty much what you guys said. I think I'm one of the few who play WoW here but I really like how they have both PVP and PVE and you don't have to do pvp if you don't want to, or the other way around.

I think for questing they should have a more story oriented questing system and make it just like you're playing KotOR instead of the killing, gathering, etc quests that WoW and probably most other mmos have.

I think that having a pvp system depends on how they do factions in the game. I mean we really know nothing about it, but if there are two clearly opposed factions in the game I think there should definitely be pvp. In WoW they have Normal and PVP servers, in a normal server you can only enter pvp combat in world if you're flagged as pvp, or if you are in the other faction's territory they can attack you. In a pvp server everyone is game in contested territory.

I would guess the combat system would be a turn based rpg style but obviously realtime and without pausing.

Again I like how WoW is set up so this is another thing I would take from that is to have dungeon areas instanced but have most of the world open, part of what I like about leveling in MMOs is the ability to interact with others so I think it would get boring if all questing areas were instanced.

I'm actually (probably one of the few :xp: ) who's looking forward to the MMO. My hopes are that some of the LF'ers are too since there's an established communtiy rapport.. I think it'd be a blast with gaming with several of you guys and gals :D
I'm with you on that, I am looking forward to this and hope that they do it right. It would be great to have a LF guild or whatever the term would be in this game.

I'm glad someone agrees with me on this :)

Again, I agree. In fact I'd go so far as to keep PvP only in certain areas.. or if the money is there, an altogether seperate server for those that DO like PvP.

Agreed, in the upcoming WoW expansion they are adding dedicated PVP area's, even on servers where you must flag for PvP.

I like WoW's way of doing organized PVP, you talk to an NPC that queue's you up for a battle where you play things like CTF, or Conquest, or even a CTF/Conquest Hybrid, then be returned after your done.

There also is a more tactical "arena" pvp zone where you make a team (Either 2v2, 3v3, or 5v5) and battle it out, and if at the end of the arena season your in the top 3%, you get a fancy, uber mount to play with, and a title to go by your name.

Personally, PvP drives me insane after a while. The arena system is flawed that you have to play with player combos in order to be a good team, so playing with your friend, who's charecter conflicts with yours is suicide.

Again I like how WoW is set up so this is another thing I would take from that is to have dungeon areas instanced but have most of the world open, part of what I like about leveling in MMOs is the ability to interact with others so I think it would get boring if all questing areas were instanced.

I agree with most of your points there, but it would be much better if a lot of the minor quests were in fact, instanced. This would allow more creative flow to come in how the quest are done, rather than kill X amount of Y, it could be like "Save this kid from a burning building!." That's pretty hard to do in a non-instanced zone, after a bit it would be kinda strange to see hundreds of people running out of the same burning building with the same kid xD

i tried WoW some time ago and i gotta say it's a pretty good MMO. the only reason why i didn't like it was the uber boring leveling aKa grinding. If Bioware get's that right and manages to do a decent job at the other important aspects (economy, raids, pvp etc) i think we'll be looking at the best MMO ever :)

i tried WoW some time ago and i gotta say it's a pretty good MMO. the only reason why i didn't like it was the uber boring leveling aKa grinding. If Bioware get's that right and manages to do a decent job at the other important aspects (economy, raids, pvp etc) i think we'll be looking at the best MMO ever :)

No offense to you, but really, there isn't much grinding in WoW, people grind because they can't figure out what to do, and then complain about how WoW involves to much grinding. There is only as much grinding as you allow there to be, I went from 1-70 on my shammy without grinding at all, and I'm doing the same on my rogue.

One my friends on wow has only ever done quests from 1-20, then did instances all the way till where he's at now, which is around 40, and he's been motoring through the levels.

I really hate it when people hate MMO's because you had to do so much grinding, there's only as much grinding as you allow there to be.

Also, if anyone's ever played Warcraft 3, they will understand that Blizzard really didn't want to sacrifice storyline for game play, there storytelling in W3 was amazing, and setup perfectly to WoW.

Visions of a LF staff clan, ChAiNz? :D

_EW_

The MMO doesn't sound that bad, and heck it might be good, but I do want to know what happened to Revan and the Exile, cause Kotor II kept me hanging, and since not many MMO's tend to have story or plot...

Look, Obsidian is right now working on a unknown RPG which I hope is Kotor III, and BioWare is working on a Unknown MMO which takes place in the Kotor universe, so maybe Kotor III will come out after all, and the MMO is going to come out as a spin off to the Kotor series..

That might be one of the few things that may actually make it worth buying!:lol:

Forgive me, but I have become confused (happens often - don't worry). This MMO encompasses the Old Republic era, not just post-TSL?

Visions of a LF staff clan, ChAiNz? :D

_EW_

No staff badge required ;)

Grouping with a bunch of LF'ers could make for some good times. We can all muck up together and rule KotOR not only in forums, but the games as well... :lol:

That might be one of the few things that may actually make it worth buying!:lol:

It's definitely one of the selling points for me :D

Forgive me, but I have become confused (happens often - don't worry). This MMO encompasses the Old Republic era, not just post-TSL?

That's what I've gathered. Know one knows for sure if it's a continuation of the KotOR/Revan/Exile saga.. but it's definitely within the era. Game-wise.. I would hope the MMO encompasses more than the just singular storyline. Quite a bit has happened in this time period.. so I hope the MMO expands it from all directions.

Unlimited possibilities, and as expansive as MMO's have to be to support (hopefully) the oodles of players / fan base... I hope they spice it up a bit.

Mentioning key actors (Revan, Exile, and their respective company etc.) is fine and dandy, but I really hope that's not the only thing the game will revolve around. :)

No staff badge required ;)

Grouping with a bunch of LF'ers could make for some good times. We can all muck up together and rule KotOR not only in forums, but the games as well... :lol:

It's definitely one of the selling points for me :D

That's what I've gathered. Know one knows for sure if it's a continuation of the KotOR/Revan/Exile saga.. but it's definitely within the era. Game-wise.. I would hope the MMO encompasses more than the just singular storyline. Quite a bit has happened in this time period.. so I hope the MMO expands it from all directions.

Unlimited possibilities, and as expansive as MMO's have to be to support (hopefully) the oodles of players / fan base... I hope they spice it up a bit.

Mentioning key actors (Revan, Exile, and their respective company etc.) is fine and dandy, but I really hope that's not the only thing the game will revolve around. :)

It would make the most sense I think to have it Pre-KotOR/TSL - as part of either the Mandalorian War or the Jedi Civil War.

ChAiNz.2da wrote:

Grouping with a bunch of LF'ers could make for some good times. We can all muck up together and rule KotOR not only in forums, but the games as well...

Basically, you are saying: "Together we can rule this MMO as moderator, and members. We can end this conflict!"

Or you mean we'll go and raid Traya for the 'Noseclamp of +5 vs. Gungans' with all here? :xp:

As long as they stick with the 2 exisiting kotor formulas for gameplay style I'll be very happy. The idea of an mmo really sits well with me too (especially if its on 360 as well) because for the first time ever we would have a well supported kotor game! Can you imagine? Regular patches, possible expansions even a complete storyline!?!?! (well maybe I'm over extending myself here). Seriously though I could see this being really awesome or really terrible. I definitely like the idea of kotor online play though

I've tried a -lot- of MMOs, albeit not for very long each time, so I feel like I can give -some- opinion on this.

Though I don't mind instances, I'm not a fan of "raids". I mean, I'm sure they can be fun, but it essentially prevents those who are guildless or in smaller guilds from accessing the higher-end content. Many raiding guilds stick to 20-player rather than 40-player raids because they just don't have the numbers to get 40 people together at the same time to play for several hours. However, I -do- like 40-person PvP battles, a la Alterac Valley, where a player can just jump in and join the war, so to speak. Depending on the era, I think that using a lot of instanced "big battle" PvP could be fun -and- appropriate.

And sometimes, if you don't have a guild or a constant playing party of friends, it basically turns into a one player game with a monthly fee, or a "Let's stand around yelling in LFG for three hours" game if you want to do an instance or a hard quest (Or, in some games, if you want to try and do any fighting or levelling at all. I'm looking at you FFXI). I know these issues are in MMOs everywhere, and I'm not sure how to work around them, but that would be my one big MMO-related hang-up.

On a minor note, I hope they don't seperate the European, American, etc servers like I know some games do. I mean, I know it means that servers will fill up quickly, but... the internet is region-free, so MMOs should be too. Plus it would make for a bigger Team LF. We could rule the world! (Well, alright, "rule one server", but that should be good enough)

* balk * 40 people raids... :eek: This has to be a WoW thing right?

That's just way too much heads to count (imo). In DDO, raid groups max out at 12, and even that's a mess sometimes.. I couldn't imagine having to try and get a gameplan together for 40 people unless you were in a guild.

At least with the 12 person raids, guild-less alts get a chance to play too. Even though I'm in a guild in DDO, we're always willing to accept PUGs.

Wow, 40 people?! Really?! that'd blow my mind.. I don't like crowds in RL and even that many OL (online life :xp: ) in one group spooks me :lol: I think that'd put me off raids too... hehehe...

I was disapointed at first, when I heard that a KOTOR MMO was comming out instead of K3 (c'mon, people, K2 was a cliffhanger for crying out loud!) but now I've kinda accepted it. It shoudln't be half bad considering its Bioware, and if they don't do these things:

1) Make the MMO take place after K2. :bored: Seriously, I don't trust MMO storylines as much as good-old-RPGs. When they continue the story from the cliffhanger ending in K2, I expect K3. Besides, this game would be amazing if it took place during the Mandalorian or Jedi Civil War.

2) Allow everyone to become a Jedi easily, or (worse) force them to. This time period has many different factions of interesting and cool possibly playable characters. Even in this time, with many more Jedi then could reasonably be in Galaxy, there still wouldn't be only Jedi running around everywhere. Make it a challenge to become a Jedi, and give people other options, and the game will become considerably more interesting. :) Just imagine being able to play as Mandalorians, Jedi, Sith, smugglers, or maybe even just the Republic/Sith troopers. (OMG, ordinary people *scream* :xp:)

3) Charge for armour/weapons/different side-quests. Give us a fee every month, fine. As long as the price is reasonable and the game is worth it, there is no problem there. But when you find items/quests/features that require real-world money... people stop playing. Even if its a good game, many wouldn't want it if you couldn't access certain features without paying more money.

4) Don't give it a storyline. :¬: Give it one. It gets boring without it and I shouldn't have to explain why.

* balk * 40 people raids... :eek: This has to be a WoW thing right?

That's just way too much heads to count (imo). In DDO, raid groups max out at 12, and even that's a mess sometimes.. I couldn't imagine having to try and get a gameplan together for 40 people unless you were in a guild.

At least with the 12 person raids, guild-less alts get a chance to play too. Even though I'm in a guild in DDO, we're always willing to accept PUGs.

Wow, 40 people?! Really?! that'd blow my mind.. I don't like crowds in RL and even that many OL (online life :xp: ) in one group spooks me :lol: I think that'd put me off raids too... hehehe...

The current raid model for WoW is 25 man raids, and it works pretty well, but I would agree that lesser numbers for raids or whatever in this game would probably be better.

The current raid model for WoW is 25 man raids, and it works pretty well, but I would agree that lesser numbers for raids or whatever in this game would probably be better.

ahh.. whew OK that sounds at least more manageable.. :lol:

But yeah, for StarWars, unless everyone were ARC soldiers or Rebel soldiers.. I just don't see that many in a group.. raid or not..

For KotOR, or heck, even StarWars itself.. I've always pictured smaller 'covert / special-ops' groups and I'd like to think the MMO would somehow replicate it.

DDO almost fits the formulae... 6 person max "normal" group.. 12 max "raid" group. Smething along those numbers would be kewl. UNLESS they DO incorporate ARC / Rebel - ish classes (or starship battles) .. then I could see a call for larger groups.

Well, alot of it is organization, have one person who really knows the instance well, and have that guy organize them, even something like screaming "ENFEEBLE" is well organized in a WoW setting.

Also, in the next WoW expansion, all raids will be 10 OR 25 man, so most people now have a choice

Though I don't mind instances, I'm not a fan of "raids". I mean, I'm sure they can be fun, but it essentially prevents those who are guildless or in smaller guilds from accessing the higher-end content. Many raiding guilds stick to 20-player rather than 40-player raids because they just don't have the numbers to get 40 people together at the same time to play for several hours.

I DO agree with your point that its tough to get a whole lot of people together for a couple of hours. I've only ever done 10 man Karazahn, it was fun and all, but we took so long that I just couldn't stay past 12AM. I'm just glad my guild has enough people for it not to matter.

However, some people REALLY love 25 mans, guilds like Nihlium and EJ's thrive off them and show the world that, give the option for 25, 40, or whatever amount of people needed to have raid.

Also, most guild's plan months in advance for their raids, people will often have enough time to figure out if their going or not and post it of the Calender. Its all about organization.

classes (or starship battles) .. then I could see a call for larger groups.

Starship battles....now that sounds like fun....

War is by its very nature chaotic. I would like to see a few massive set-piece battles, to give a sense of confusion - it just makes things more exciting when you are fighting constantly in a game just to remain an active player (like some levels in Battlefront), and can't see WHAT is going on because you are so fixated on your own health gauge!

Balance that with small scale raids, and it would be great! Chaos and careful planning contrasting. An all-out battle for survival followed by sneaking around or a surprise onslaught.

BUT NO MONTHLY FEES!!! I see what you mean about discouraging time-wasters, but it also discourages people who don't like shelling out more than once for a game.:xp: It wasn't needed for SFC3's Dynaverse multiplayer, it isn't required for PS3's online gaming, why should this be any different?

Archived